2017-2018 NHL Awards Voting Results

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
If you're the most outstanding player....you're the most valuable. No one was more valuable than McDavid this year. He should've easily won the MVP.

The Oilers missed the playoffs with McDavid; they could just as easily miss the playoffs without McDavid.

Not much “value” being brought there.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
The Oilers missed the playoffs with McDavid; they could just as easily miss the playoffs without McDavid.

Not much “value” being brought there.

That doesn't change how valuable he was this year.

You put him on a borderline playoff team amd they're easily in the playoffs.

Just because he happens to be on a terrible team doesn't diminish his value....

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
lol that doesn't make any sense. The best player is the most valuable, because he improves his team the most out of all players.

The fact is the award is now the "Best player on a team that made the playoffs but wasn't too good" trophy.

Best doesn't equal most valuable.

Lets take a look at something NHL Trophies

The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association in all NHL cities at the end of the regular season.

The Ted Lindsay Award (formerly Lester B. Pearson Award) is presented annually to the "most outstanding player" in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA.

It is obvious that the two trophies are not meant to be rewarded based on the exact same thing otherwise the only difference from what is said about them would be who votes on them.

We clearly see that voters for the Hart don't see most valuable meaning the best. I agree with them as do other people.

That's just flawed thinking on your part.

McDavid was playing by himself basically. I wonder how many games the Oilers won when McDavid didn't record a point.

I'm willing to bet McDavid led all players in percentage of points scored for his team.

Hall 93 points while 2nd best on his team had 52 points totaling a 41 point difference.

McDavid 108 points while 2nd best on his team had 70 points totaling a 38 point difference.

So we see that McDavid didn't have the biggest point difference from a teammate in the NHL.

McDavid helping Oilers win some more regular season games but not enough to make the playoffs isn't as valuable as Hall helping the Devils win some more regular season games that resulted in making the playoffs.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Best doesn't equal most valuable.

Lets take a look at something NHL Trophies

The Hart Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player judged to be the most valuable to his team. The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association in all NHL cities at the end of the regular season.

The Ted Lindsay Award (formerly Lester B. Pearson Award) is presented annually to the "most outstanding player" in the NHL as voted by fellow members of the NHLPA.

It is obvious that the two trophies are not meant to be rewarded based on the exact same thing otherwise the only difference from what is said about them would be who votes on them.

We clearly see that voters for the Hart don't see most valuable meaning the best. I agree with them as do other people.

Hall 93 points while 2nd best on his team had 52 points totaling a 41 point difference.

McDavid 108 points while 2nd best on his team had 70 points totaling a 38 point difference.

So we see that McDavid didn't have the biggest point difference from a teammate in the NHL.

McDavid helping Oilers win some more regular season games but not enough to make the playoffs isn't as valuable as Hall helping the Devils win some more regular season games that resulted in making the playoffs.

McDavid was far more valuable than Hall. Like if they swapped teams, the Devils would be a much better team and the Oilers would be worse and miss the playoffs.

Your Value shouldn't change just because your team sucks.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
McDavid was far more valuable than Hall. Like if they swapped teams, the Devils would be a much better team and the Oilers would be worse and miss the playoffs.

If they swapped teams Devils would of been better and Oilers would of been worse which is true. Doesn't mean anything when it comes to the Hart.

A great player having a great season but his team didn't make the playoffs didn't bring as much value to his team as a great player with a great season helping his team make the playoffs. Making the playoffs is a big deal. The Hart winners and finalists are effected by how good their team is that is just the way it is as we have seen with votes.

How good a player is doesn't change just because his team sucked how much value to his season does.

Reactions: glenwo2

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

Kopitar beat his nearest teammate by 31 points AND won the Selke.

So you are saying that being the best defensive forward in the NHL has less value than 10 points?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Kopitar beat his nearest teammate by 31 points AND won the Selke.

So you are saying that being the best defensive forward in the NHL has less value than 10 points?

I was just comparing Hall the Hart winner to McDavid in that. I would of voted Kopitar over McDavid as well from this season.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I was just comparing Hall the Hart winner to McDavid in that. I would of voted Kopitar over McDavid as well from this season.

What if the kings had missed the playoffs by one point?

Would Kopitar then have gone from being the most Valuable player in the league this season to one with negligible value?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
David Shoalts thinks Taylor Hall is the best center in the league

Only thing I can think of is that Hall took faceoffs for awhile since Hischier was struggling badly. Maybe he incorrectly equated that the guy taking the draws was the center?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
What if the kings had missed the playoffs by one point?

Would Kopitar then have gone from being the most Valuable player in the league this season to one with negligible value?

Playoffs matter for most valuable but it doesn't matter for how good the player was. If you didn't help your team make the playoffs then your shouldn't be a finalist for the Hart let alone winner.

Reactions: glenwo2

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for posting this, @pnep. I agree, some of the all star voting is a bit much. All these guys are talented but ranking them out of position is ? IMO.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Hmmm....Pat Hickey did not have MacKinnon in his top-5 for the Hart. He had Malkin as No. 1 and Crosby as No. 5, which is interesting when you are voting for an MVP. It appears that his take on the award is simply who he views as the best players for a particular season.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Playoffs matter for most valuable but it doesn't matter for how good the player was. If you didn't help your team make the playoffs then your shouldn't be a finalist for the Hart let alone winner.

It doesn't say anything about playoffs in the criteria for the trophy.

Someone that got their team within one point of the playoffs is very valuable to their team and that team's success.

And that's part of the problem with the trophy.

The criteria for winning the Hart changes from year to year based on sentiment rather than logic.

DanrikCarter

Jan 28, 2009
Some guy named Gann Matsuda voted Yanni Gourde first place for the Calder. And boeser wasn't even on his ballot

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
It doesn't say anything about playoffs in the criteria for the trophy.

Someone that got their team within one point of the playoffs is very valuable to their team and that team's success.

And that's part of the problem with the trophy.

The criteria for winning the Hart changes from year to year based on sentiment rather than logic.

Making the playoffs vs. not making the playoffs what is more valuable? A great player who helped his team make the playoffs had more value then a great player who wasn't able to get his team into the playoffs. That is how I see things.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Exactly. Or to put it another way:

When McDavid is on the ice for the Oilers they are a powerhouse. He completely tilts the ice.

When McDavid isn't on the ice for the Oilers they are worse than the 2016-17 Avs.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Kudos to Jeff Hamilton of the Winnipeg Free Press who managed to submit both an invalid Trophy ballot and an invalid All-Star ballot.

I really wonder how the invalid ballot happens. I can't see Hart or Lady Byng being voted wrongly, since those aren't limited. For those you can have illogical votes like having Brad Marchand, Radko Gudas and Alex Burrows in your Lady Byng ballot but that doesn't seem illegal.

So it's either voting non-forward for Selke, non-defenseman for Norris, non-rookie for Calder or non-nominee for Masterton.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Making the playoffs vs. not making the playoffs what is more valuable? A great player who helped his team make the playoffs had more value then a great player who wasn't able to get his team into the playoffs. That is how I see things.

Well if both players are the best player on their team by a similar margin and one team misses by one point and the other makes it by one point, well I would have to come to the conclusion that the two players have relatively equal value to their teams.

We all know that a single player doesn't move the dial much in terms of wins in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad