Line Combos: 2017-2018 Line Combos

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
If Olofsson performs well and stays healthy this year, I think Reilly is gone at the TDL or in the offseason. Reilly is waivers exempt, so he valuable to the team in that respect.

I think he's only a handful of games away from being waiver eligible though.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think he's only a handful of games away from being waiver eligible though.

60 NHL games is the cutoff I think, so he has a 13 games window for waiver eligibility. I think the Wild would look at Steeler, Labbe, etc before burning Reilly's 14th game. Barring a major injury or two it should be a workable situation.

Olofsson, Qunicey and Murphy I see as bottom pair/pressbox d-men. Are they better than Reilly, I have no idea.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
i hope we have a backup plan if ennis is worse than pommer. peter, i agree / think if we're not gonna play reilly we should trade him.
Coyle at right wing. The Oak at 3rd line center. Foligno to 3rd line. Ennis on 4th line. Not a problem.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The main storyline of camp for me will be JEE. Does he just come in and demand time at center? Or does Coyle out play him and push him to wing? Or does the Wild maybe take a long-term perspective and put him in Iowa for 1/2 season playing top minutes and bring him up when injuries hit?

Second storyline is Ennis. He cannot play on a shutdown line, and his best role is on the second line. He'll be wasted on the 4th line, but that's where guys like him end up if there is no room for him on the 2nd line.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
So, now that we signed Cullen, I'd like to see:

Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Niederreiter - Staal - Coyle
Parise - JEE - Ennis
Stewart - Cullen - Foligno
First call up: Kunin

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincey
First call up: Reilly

Dubnyk
Stalock

Looks real damn solid to me.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

Parise - JEE - Ennis

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincey

Dubnyk
Stalock

Looks spot on to me.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

Parise - JEE - Ennis

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincey

Dubnyk
Stalock

Id swap Coyle and Ennis and Spurgeon ans Dumba, and then gtg.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Staal-Coyle
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Cullen-Stewart
Ennis

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Olofsson-Murphy
Quincey

Dubnyk
Stalock

Ennis is a turnover machine, not to mention he will probably be injured for half the season. Parise, Ek, and Kunin will need some time to figure out the kinks but I think it'll work. Same with Brodin-Dumba. Let them play to figure it out.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Nino - Staal - Coyle
Parise - Ek - Foligno
Ennis - Cullen - Stewart
~Ferraro & K. Rau or Cannone.

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincy
~Reilly

Dubnyk
Best of the subpar

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Zucker - Koviu - Granlund
Ennis - Stall - Nino
Parise - Coyle - Foligno
JEE - Cullen - Stewart

Suter - Dumba
Brodin - Spurg
Olofsson - Quincy

I think Boudreau makes another attempt at playing Coyle at center. I wouldn't peg Foligno as an automatic for the 4th line although that might be where he ends up playing the most. Suspect Boudreau's affinity for having size in the lineup will give Foligno a shot at some 3rd line minutes. Wouldn't be surprised if Boudreau does a lot of line juggling this year; more so than what he's normally done in the past.

Wildfish

Jul 13, 2011
Siberia, ND
I think BB is an old school Coach. He's not afraid to play a banger with skill guys to balance the line. I think we'll see Foligno getting some quality minutes with more skilled players. How many minutes will depend on Foligno's performance.

Personally, I really hope they play EEk as a Center and leave Coyle on the RW on a top 2 Line.

Center depth chart:

E. Staal
Mikko
EEk
Cullen

For sure leave the Zucker-Mikko-Granlund line alone. They can do it all and have a great combination of skills: Mikko's defensive but two way game, Granlund's passing and vision, Zucker's breakaway speed... The line can neutralize other team's Top Line or score against the other team's checking Line.

Granlund and Mikko are both excellent defensive players. Zucker's speed and aggressiveness make him a very under-rated defensive player, too.

They have the elusive "chemistry!"

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm curious why Ennis gets top-6 time in a few of these lineups. His last 2 full (healthy) seasons he was a top-6 player in Buffalo; that's really not saying much considering how bad Buffalo was those tank years.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'd love to see Ennis top-six, running with Staal and Nino. It would be nice to see a guy with slick puck skills playing with them.

I think it will shake out more like:

Koivu-Zucker-Granlund
Staal-Nino-Parise
Coyle-JEE-Ennis (I hope JEE wins the center job - I don't think it's certain)
Cullen-Ferraro-Stewart

Suter-Spurgeon
Dumba-Brodin
Olofsson-Quincey

Dubnyk
Stalock

Foligno signing is not a sure thing at this point (I'd be surprised if it didn't happen but still). Rau, Ferraro, Kunin, Gabriel, even a guy like Sokolov could make the opening night roster.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Zucker-Koivu-Granlund
Nino-Staal-Coyle
Parise-Ek-Kunin
Foligno-Cullen-Stewart
Ennis

Suter-Spurgeon
Brodin-Dumba
Olofsson-Murphy
Quincey

Dubnyk
Stalock

Ennis is a turnover machine, not to mention he will probably be injured for half the season. Parise, Ek, and Kunin will need some time to figure out the kinks but I think it'll work. Same with Brodin-Dumba. Let them play to figure it out.

This is what I'd like to see too. I believe Kunin is the type of prospect who thrives playing with top talent and will have a short lived AHL stint.

I think we start with the ZKG, NSC lines and then put either Ennis or Foligno next to JEE and Parise. But I agree that ultimately, our top 9 will have the usual 7 plus JEE and Kunin, unless Ennis has a renaissance year next to better talent and with less pressure to produce.

Really wish it was
ZKG
Kaprizov-Staal-Nino
Parise-JEE-Coyle

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm curious why Ennis gets top-6 time in a few of these lineups. His last 2 full (healthy) seasons he was a top-6 player in Buffalo; that's really not saying much considering how bad Buffalo was those tank years.

1. Not wanting to put him and Eriksson Ek on the same line.
2. Wanting to get everything I can out of him and his $4.6m by not putting him on the 4th line.
3. He's a skilled player, so to start, I'd like to see him with other skilled players.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This is what I'd like to see too. I believe Kunin is the type of prospect who thrives playing with top talent and will have a short lived AHL stint.

I think we start with the ZKG, NSC lines and then put either Ennis or Foligno next to JEE and Parise. But I agree that ultimately, our top 9 will have the usual 7 plus JEE and Kunin, unless Ennis has a renaissance year next to better talent and with less pressure to produce.

Really wish it was
ZKG
Kaprizov-Staal-Nino
Parise-JEE-Coyle

Kaprizov in and Stewie out!

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
2. Wanting to get everything I can out of him and his $4.6m by not putting him on the 4th line.
3. He's a skilled player, so to start, I'd like to see him with other skilled players.

Bolded are my main reasons.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Foligno - Staal - Nino
Parise - Coyle - JEE
Ennis - Cullen - Stewart

Don't throw JEE into a center role right away have him take draws when Coyle gets booted and put him on wing giving him time to adjust. Moving Coyle to center puts the puck in his hands more, imo hes looked good there when hes able to carry the puck more. Makes this another potential shutdown & scoring line.

Manage Foligno and Ennis ice times. Ennis is either top6 or 4th line so you can adjust if needed. If it doesn't work out i assume ennis will be getting benched, foligno would be on 4th line and we would be giving someone like Kunin a call up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

1. Agree 100%.
2. Salary shouldn't dictate where he plays.
3. To me he's not really a skill player. He has a 1 dimensional game that isn't anywhere near elite. Useful PP guy. He's more of a finesse player in my book.

Ennis (and Foligno) are an upgrade over Schroeder, but a downgrade from Pommer. None of those 4 players belong in the Wild's top-6 on a daily basis.

Different topic:
As much as I want Kunin to be in MN for the entire season; I think he'll be better off in the AHL just to adjust to the pro game lifestyle: Games every other day, lots of travel, prep time for the different opponents, speed of the game. The CHL does replicate that lifestyle better than college does.

Lots of college/Euro league players, their 1st AHL/NHL season, start off strong then fade as the season goes on. They just don't have the experience to manage their mind and body throughout an entire season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
1. Agree 100%.
2. Salary shouldn't dictate where he plays.
3. To me he's not really a skill player. He has a 1 dimensional game that isn't anywhere near elite. Useful PP guy. He's more of a finesse player in my book.

Ennis (and Foligno) are an upgrade over Schroeder, but a downgrade from Pommer. None of those 4 players belong in the Wild's top-6 on a daily basis.

He has actual 20+ goal, 40+ point seasons on his resume. I'm sure that a few of those required some skill.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Foligno - Staal - Nino
Parise - Coyle - JEE
Ennis - Cullen - Stewart

Don't throw JEE into a center role right away have him take draws when Coyle gets booted and put him on wing giving him time to adjust. Moving Coyle to center puts the puck in his hands more, imo hes looked good there when hes able to carry the puck more. Makes this another potential shutdown & scoring line.

Manage Foligno and Ennis ice times. Ennis is either top6 or 4th line so you can adjust if needed. If it doesn't work out i assume ennis will be getting benched, foligno would be on 4th line and we would be giving someone like Kunin a call up.
Thing is that JEE has some similarities to Koivu. He might actually develop best by throwing him in as a 3rd line center and let him develop his offense naturally has he gets more assertive. I am not really sure what he would learn on the wing. I rather have him just start in Iowa as 1st line center.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He has actual 20+ goal, 40+ point seasons on his resume. I'm sure that a few of those required some skill.

Stewie also had a couple of 28g seasons, yet he's a 4th liner here. Ennis's best years were under Lindy Ruff and his all offense, and defense optional philosophy. He's a lesser skilled Vanek.

Ennis is useful on the PP, but he'll have a hard time beating out: Coyle, Granny, Koivu, Nino, Parise, and Staal (imo).

He's just an odd fit for the Wild:
-smaller perimeter player
-can score
-no defense
-health questions
-not a good passer
-handles the puck well, but will hold it too long
-not afraid of playing a physical game
-even, but not an improvement at anything compared to: Koivu, Staal, Granny, Zucker, Nino, Coyle, Parise (last year version), and maybe Cullen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Thing is that JEE has some similarities to Koivu. He might actually develop best by throwing him in as a 3rd line center and let him develop his offense naturally has he gets more assertive. I am not really sure what he would learn on the wing. I rather have him just start in Iowa as 1st line center.

He had a cup of coffee last year, so he knows the Wild's system. I don't mind him on wing for at least part of the season. BB might not trust him as a center yet and JEE could have his ice time limited in favor of Cullen, Koivu, and Staal in 3rd periods.

I wouldn't mind it if JEE and Kunin both ended up in Iowa to start the year. It could also help BB figure out where Foligno and Ennis fit in the lineup without the rookies. BB seems to know what he's doing, so I'll trust him to do what's best for the team and players.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
I'd love to see Ennis top-six, running with Staal and Nino. It would be nice to see a guy with slick puck skills playing with them.

I think it will shake out more like:

Koivu-Zucker-Granlund
Staal-Nino-Parise
Coyle-JEE-Ennis (I hope JEE wins the center job - I don't think it's certain)
Cullen-Ferraro-Stewart

Suter-Spurgeon
Dumba-Brodin
Olofsson-Quincey

Dubnyk
Stalock

Foligno signing is not a sure thing at this point (I'd be surprised if it didn't happen but still). Rau, Ferraro, Kunin, Gabriel, even a guy like Sokolov could make the opening night roster.
I would also like to see Ennis with Nino and Staal, who I think have some major promise if they get clicking together. Ennis could be a real firecracker on offense for that line. And besides, I was not impressed with Coyle when he got that RW spot last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad