2017-2018 Blues Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
So over on the Kitchener Rangers board they're saying that, according to the teams' GM, Luke Opilka is having additional surgery on his hip and that his career is now over. Damn shame if that is true.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
So over on the Kitchener Rangers board they're saying that, according to the teams' GM, Luke Opilka is having additional surgery on his hip and that his career is now over. Damn shame if that is true.

The first part is certainly true. In context, it probably means that his junior career is over, but whether he ever plays professional hockey is certainly still open to debate.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
The third round is where we need to draft every defenseman here on out :naughty:

I think Dunn was a 2nd rounder, so clearly we just should draft D only after the first round lol

Parayko, Edmundson, Walkman, Dunn....yeah, I'm totally fine with them waiting till after the first to draft Dmen lol

That should certainly be our approach in the 2018 draft, seeing as how we don't have a 1st rounder and all.

My very, very premature draft prediction is that we go after a guy like Owen Lalonde. Big, right-handed defensemen who just got traded to Guelph not long ago. Former #2 overall pick in the OHL draft who is falling because of a lackluster rookie season, although he was buried in a deep and veteran Sudbury squad who was looking to contend for a Memorial Cup. I think on a younger Guelph team this year, he's going to break out.

Regardless of who we go after, this is a great year to be going after defensemen in the draft. The top 10 is going to mostly be defensemen, the first round is going to be chock-full of them, and there are bound to be some really good players who manage to slide into the second.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

All the more reason to sign Dhillon.

You hate to see this in such a young guy, and one from the St. Louis area to boot.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
All the more reason to sign Dhillon.

You hate to see this in such a young guy, and one from the St. Louis area to boot.

Dang that sucks for Oplika. But unfortunately that is the belly of the beast. But I think Dhillon has showed he has some potential.

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
We are very, very fortunate to have Dunn and Walman in the pipeline. Our amateur scouting has been excellent in recent history, about as good as we could ask for.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
14-17 has been outstanding.

14- Fabbri/Barbashev/Walman
15-Dunn/Musil
16-Thompson/Kyrou
17-Thomas/Kostin

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
14-17 has been outstanding.

14- Fabbri/Barbashev/Walman
15-Dunn/Musil
16-Thompson/Kyrou
17-Thomas/Kostin
To add onto this:

Husso and Blais also in 2014 (hell of a class...)

Mikkola also in 2015

Hopefully we could even add guys like Toropchenko (2017) and Stevens (2016) onto these lists in the near future if they become something.

Hopefully Bill Armstrong stays here for a long time.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
Bill Armstrong deserves a lot of credit but so does the entire scouting staff. It's still to be determined but the last few year's prospects look awfully good.

Kudos to the player development guys as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
To add onto this:

Husso and Blais also in 2014 (hell of a class...)

Mikkola also in 2015

Hopefully we could even add guys like Toropchenko (2017) and Stevens (2016) onto these lists in the near future if they become something.

Hopefully Bill Armstrong stays here for a long time.

Good adds. Blais is really a sleeper. Dummy me left out Mikko and Husso lol. Im trying to figure out this cricut designing machine for me wife, so im not thining straight lol.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
http://http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/kostin-making-fast-adjustment-impresses-blues/article_ba4bc31d-c262-558a-a8ac-08457fca7b02.html

Another article, this one about Kostin.

Apparently he is already looking for apartments in saint louis in case he makes the team. He's certainly aiming high.

He will quickly realize at camp that will not be the case.

Unless he was just not trying in traverse city, he stands about a .1% chance of making the team out of training camp.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He will quickly realize at camp that will not be the case.

Unless he was just not trying in traverse city, he stands about a .1% chance of making the team out of training camp.

I never put much opinion in Traverse. The players are not in game-shape and they are really just glorified all-star games or exhibitions. Kostin and Thompson have a real shot at making the team. They are going to already be using a pro year, so it's not like they are in Kyrou's position. You can easily move them down or find a spot for them once Bergy comes back if the rest of the team is healthy.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I never put much opinion in Traverse. The players are not in game-shape and they are really just glorified all-star games or exhibitions. Kostin and Thompson have a real shot at making the team. They are going to already be using a pro year, so it's not like they are in Kyrou's position. You can easily move them down or find a spot for them once Bergy comes back if the rest of the team is healthy.

I really don't think Kostin has a realistic shot at making the team this year - he would have to absolutely dominate at camp, and I don't think that's realistic. Thompson, on the other hand, has a chance, but I don't think he makes it either. Both need to be playing top line minutes, and they would be, at best, playing third line minutes or being scratched with the Blues - that's not good for development at all (unless they truly find a cemented spot on the third line).

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Here's Corey Pronman's review of Blues prospects from his NHL prospects tournament article in The Athletic.

Klim Kostin, LW: A lot of scouts’ eyes were on Kostin after he missed the second half with an injury and slid to 31st overall in the draft. He wasn’t a top player, but he produced chances and points. His skill level is very impressive for such a big, strong winger. He was clearly behind the pace at times due to adjusting to the small rink and being a little rusty, but you see the potential. He needs a lot of improvement to his skating, ideally working with coaches over the next year in the AHL before making a serious run at the Blues roster.

Jordan Kyrou, RW: Kyrou got a few points, but he wasn’t as dynamic as the player I saw a few weeks ago at the world junior camps. That’s why you don’t want to overreact to one or two games at this event, but watching Kyrou for a while I know the player that showed up at Traverse isn’t the one he usually is. Getting a consistent effort will be key for him to be in the mix for a roster spot this fall.

Adam Musil, C: It’s easy to not be incredibly high on Musil. His point production has never been great, his skill isn’t top level either. However, he shows well in a lot of areas and unlike his brother David (drafted by Edmonton) his skating is decent. He’s a big, tough center who at Traverse showed he can transport the puck fine and gets involved in every play.

Tage Thompson, RW: Thompson is normally a right winger, but notably he lined up at center here and didn’t look out of place, being leaned on as the primary guy to carry the puck up the ice and make a play to his wingers. Thompson’s skill level is ridiculous for a guy with his size, and while he can be streaky and taken off his game, I’m excited to see what he does in the pre-season.

Robert Thomas, C: Thomas was one of the best players I saw last weekend. He was all over the ice creating chances with his speed and vision. He had one goal that was a remarkable display of skill and finish. We know Thomas is good, he’s a first round pick for a reason, but it was how good he was for a 1999 birth date at this level of competition that raised an eyebrow.

Alexei Toropchenko, RW: For an 18 year old who wasn’t a high pick, Toropchenko turned a lot of heads with his play. He’s a hard-working player who plays the game at a quick pace and skates reasonably well for a 6-foot-3 forward.

Jake Walman, D: Walman was expected to be a top player for the Blues and he was. His skating is a standout attribute, as he was incredibly difficult to check even when he was starting from a standstill. He’s close to the NHL level, and can provide an offensive jump with his speed, skill and booming shot to the Blues when he is ready to check NHL forwards.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Here's Corey Pronman's review of Blues prospects from his NHL prospects tournament article in The Athletic.

Its funny that the most glowing write-ups were, Walman aside, for our 2018 picks, which was supposed to be a super weak draft. It just shows how well we did there, and also how important having first round picks are in any draft when you have scouts like ours.

I also agree, that it was nice to see Thompson do well at C. I had him stone-cold pegged as a RW, but maybe I was wrong there. My internet was horrifically spotty this past week (finally have a tech coming out today), so I didn't see as much of TC as I'd like. But he seemed very competent in center ice from what I did see, and I trust everyone who said he was one of our best players.

I completely concur with everyone saying Kostin is a super long-shot to make the team. Been saying it since he was drafted, and what I saw/read about TC only reaffirmed that.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
TT looked great at everything but faceoffs. Looked like Tarasenko out there.

I agree with the Kostin but at the same time, it should be expected given his situation. I think the guy is an NHL'er just needs to put in the work.

Our prospect pool is top notch imo given where wr draft at and how young the team is.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Chris Pinkert nhl.com said:
TOURNAMENT NOTES: The Blues were the only team in Traverse City to have four players register five or more points in the tournament. Thompson (9), Jake Walman (7), Klim Kostin (5), Robert Thomas (5) and Adam Musil (4) each finished in the Top 25 in scoring. "The kids you want to shine and play well had great tournaments. The future looks bright with these prospects," Jackman said… Musil and Jordan Kyrou were banged up and did not play in the final game in Traverse City. Jackman said they were held out for precautionary reasons…

I thought musil was absent for the final game. Good to know it was all precautionary.

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I stopped reading after the traverse prospects as I didn't view any of the other players, but the most glowing reviews were definitely of our guys. Though he only saw the first two games, and missed Tage really ramping it up and surpassing Thomas imo.

Yep, all positive comments for us, most of the other teams had at least one guy where he was let down by them or disappointed or something.

Bluesfan54

Jul 28, 2014
Kansas City
Its funny that the most glowing write-ups were, Walman aside, for our 2018 picks, which was supposed to be a super weak draft. It just shows how well we did there, and also how important having first round picks are in any draft when you have scouts like ours.

I also agree, that it was nice to see Thompson do well at C. I had him stone-cold pegged as a RW, but maybe I was wrong there. My internet was horrifically spotty this past week (finally have a tech coming out today), so I didn't see as much of TC as I'd like. But he seemed very competent in center ice from what I did see, and I trust everyone who said he was one of our best players.

I completely concur with everyone saying Kostin is a super long-shot to make the team. Been saying it since he was drafted, and what I saw/read about TC only reaffirmed that.

Right after the draft Army said Thompson (and Sanford) were coming to camp as centers and he was looking forward to watching those two big bodies playing down the middle for years to come.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Right after the draft Army said Thompson (and Sanford) were coming to camp as centers and he was looking forward to watching those two big bodies playing down the middle for years to come.

Army has said a lot of things that didn't end up being true. I don't believe a word Army says in a press conference. According to him Sobotka, Thompson, Sanford, Sunqvist, Stastny, Fabbri, Barbashev will all be centers for us, at the same time.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Army has said a lot of things that didn't end up being true. I don't believe a word Army says in a press conference. According to him Sobotka, Thompson, Sanford, Sunqvist, Stastny, Fabbri, Barbashev will all be centers for us, at the same time.
Maybe they will combine to make a super center.....
200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad