Line Combos: 2017-18 Roster Thread II - Massive changes not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
For starters, look two posts above yours. There's no way you "just let a guy walk" when he's had years that good in recent memory even if you acknowledge the risk of him regressing.
Well it would have been better than "Just give him whatever he wants"

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Well it would have been better than "Just give him whatever he wants"
I don't see it that way.

It's just how much you believe in the team to win now. When they gave Ryan the deal they knew it will hurt. But is is more or less tough until both, Getzlaf and Perry run out of contract. Afterwards you can handle the deal. And there was a good chance that he will play contract worthy hockey until then. Unfortunately everything that can go wrong went wrong.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Cam hits the open market he will get more.

Just because a desperate gm is willing to pay a player more than we got him for doesn’t mean they’re necessarily on a good contract. I bet if Seabrook hits the open market there would have been a desperate GM offer him more than the Hawks did but it doesn’t mean the deal Chicago signed him to isn’t horrendous.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Just because a desperate gm is willing to pay a player more than we got him for doesn’t mean they’re necessarily on a good contract. I bet if Seabrook hits the open market there would have been a desperate GM offer him more than the Hawks did but it doesn’t mean the deal Chicago signed him to isn’t horrendous.

Right now? Not a chance, he'd probably get more than he's worth but he'd be taking a haircut.

That post was also referencing a claim that he got max value. Even by the standard of not counting a desperate GM, pretty much anyone would've topped that deal.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Right now? Not a chance, he'd probably get more than he's worth but he'd be taking a haircut.

That post was also referencing a claim that he got max value. Even by the standard of not counting a desperate GM, pretty much anyone would've topped that deal.

Right now no but he’s declined considerably since signing. The year before he was up for free agency he put up 49 points and was significantly better than he was now, had he made it to free agency someone would have paid him more than what he got.

Anyway my point was that just because a player could get more elsewhere doesn’t mean that whoever signs him for slightly less isn’t getting a great contract. Kesler would have got loads more on the open market but it doesn’t mean the contract we gave him is a good one.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Do you think some other team was giving him 7.5M/year over 7 years? Because that is what he would have needed to get to top what he got from the Ducks. I don't see anyone giving him that, and if they did they would be crazy.

I think different people may be talking about different players. I'm talking about Fowler, since I believe that is what the one poster was replying to.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Right now no but he’s declined considerably since signing. The year before he was up for free agency he put up 49 points and was significantly better than he was now, had he made it to free agency someone would have paid him more than what he got.

Anyway my point was that just because a player could get more elsewhere doesn’t mean that whoever signs him for slightly less isn’t getting a great contract. Kesler would have got loads more on the open market but it doesn’t mean the contract we gave him is a good one.

Oh ok totally misunderstood you there. Yeah, at the time Seabrook gets that deal easily.

And yeah, I agree with that too. I definitely don't think Fowler fits that description, but Kesler, even without the recent news I think that fits. I don't think it would've been/will be to the same degree as others think, but yeah, year six was never going to be great value.

branmuffin17

Sep 10, 2014
Santa Ana, CA
Hell, it's only 3 more years and he's arguably still an effective player in our top 9.
(He being Perry)

I do want to point out that Perry had the 3rd highest points and 4th highest goals on our team. Not performing to the standards of his contract but as of now, he's still top 3, top 6 at worst.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Lol why do people never separate journalists from the company they work for? Scott Cullen also predicted Vats would go to Vegas and doesn't even have Eaves on the depth chart at all. With Kesler he's most likely hedging at the Friedman report, he's not any kind of insider.
Was that article written before last season? Because technically, Cullen was right about Eaves...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
(He being Perry)

I do want to point out that Perry had the 3rd highest points and 4th highest goals on our team. Not performing to the standards of his contract but as of now, he's still top 3, top 6 at worst.

He definitely still produced like a top 6 winger, but there were way too many nights when Perry was no more than our fifth most effective winger in terms of his overall positive impact on the game.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
I like the Boyle extension. Somehow I have a soft spot for him and I think he deserves the shot of being the #3 guy this year and maybe Gibsons backup afterwards. I think he is good enough for it.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Pretty good money for a guy who was undrafted, even if he just plays in the AHL. What he does next year will help determine if he is considered good enough to be an NHL backup or at least a #3 goaltender to be called up in case of injuries.
I'd imagine Boyle is already the #3 for this season. Given Anaheim are quite squeezed financially for the coming season not sure they're going to be spending 700-800k on a veteran goaltender to sit in the minors a la Berra.

Reactions: Vipers31

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
As people speculated a little bit ago, Stephens has joined The Athletic to cover the Ducks. Lisa Dillman has also joined and will cover both the Ducks and Kings.
EDIT: According to Lisa's bio she will be mainly focused on the Kings, but with some Ducks stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad