2017-18 Roster Talk: Part Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Why is it terrible that we're playing amazing defense? Isn't that a good thing in Hakstol's favor rather than making him more incompetent?

Don't get me wrong, it's boring and it doesn't help the offense, but hey at least one thing is standing out rather than a total disaster.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Why is it terrible that we're playing amazing defense? Isn't that a good thing in Hakstol's favor rather than making him more incompetent?
Every winning team plays awesome team d. Our forwards do none of that in the d zone. The yound D are hanging in on there own. Unacceptable.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Every winning team plays awesome team d. Our forwards do none of that in the d zone. The yound D are hanging in on there own. Unacceptable.

And I agree with you on that, but hey having a d-corps that's been outstanding is pretty okay in my book considering I don't like Hak much/our overall team depth.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
A couple of games where the PK broke down really hurt, and PP2 has really missed Patrick.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Don't get me wrong, it's boring and it doesn't help the offense, but hey at least one thing is standing out rather than a total disaster.

Because our offense is horrendous, we have been shutout in 25% of our games, and we are in last place in the Division. So good defense doesn't amount to jack shit if good results aren't there.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The system is surely helping the defense and inhibiting the forwards who cannot create something from nothing like Couts line can.

I mean, I do think it would be less of a problem if Giroux and Couturier were centring different lines...

I think it's a matter of being patient with Patrick, as he gets comfortable he should be a solid #2C by the end of the year, which solidifies the lines.
Then the Filppula line doesn't need to be anything more than a #3 line.
Getting a healthy Simmonds back will help.

But the young forwards have to step up over the next month or so or be replaced, Weal, Leier, Konency, Laughton have to produce at a reasonable level, Raffl has to do more than just fetch the puck. 1 goal in 20 games isn't acceptable even for the 4th line.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
And I agree with you on that, but hey having a d-corps that's been outstanding is pretty okay in my book considering I don't like Hak much/our overall team depth.
Awesome. Morin should be part of this party though and Hexy is f***ing it up. Chabot just got called up for the sens and they could have done what Hexy is doing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The Gudas suspension makes this moot, but there's more cause for Vecchione to be promoted now than when Hextall promoted Laughton back in November, 2014.

Laughton was only 20 years old and had scored 11 points in 13 games. Hextall demoted Blair Jones who had scored 0 points in 4 NHL games to make room.

Vecchione is a 24 year old with 18 points in 17 games. Read has scored 0 points in 4 NHL games.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
It is kind of funny that going into the year there was such an uproar about possibly having 3 rookie defensemen in the lineup in addition to 2 young veterans. So far with 2 rookies, a 2nd year player, a 3rd year player, MacDonald missing most of the year, Ghost getting nicked up, Gudas getting hurt/kicked out of games/suspended, Manning playing regularly, Alt playing multiple games, and Will O'Neill playing a game this has arguably been the best defensive team in the NHL. And the kid who can't play defense is one of the best, if not the best, defenseman in the entire league at suppressing shots and scoring chances so far this year. Defense is all about the system, Hak has that figured out. Now if he can only find a way to muster up some offense.
I certainly think the young D has played pretty well as has Elliot the last four or five games as Hak has changed how we play after the injuries but I would totally pump the brakes. If the draft were held today after about a quarter of the season we would draft 6th. I dont think this team wins a lot of games playing this style of very conservative play. Last year we got clobbered playing that way and rebounded a bit toward the end of the year playing more aggressively.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Apple has justified what everyone is afraid to acknowledge...Mandog is having a decent year.

Thank you, my friend. I will waive your entry fee into the Brandon Manning Fan Club.

You and deadhead have got to stop hanging out.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He actually acknowledged it over the weekend.

Used phrases "banged up" and "body not doing what he wants it to do." Also said hes starting to feel better and blamed himself for not engaging physically as much as he should.

Well that is good news to hear and also bad news. If this was the case why on earth was he playing? Being hurt and being a negative on the ice isn't a good excuse to keep playing. I get that players want to be tough but losing games doesn't help.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I certainly think the young D has played pretty well as has Elliot the last four or five games as Hak has changed how we play after the injuries but I would totally pump the brakes. If the draft were held today after about a quarter of the season we would draft 6th. I dont think this team wins a lot of games playing this style of very conservative play. Last year we got clobbered playing that way and rebounded a bit toward the end of the year playing more aggressively.
I apologize if you got the sense that I was satisfied with this team's performance. I am not. Far from it. I've been critical for a while. I don't like the way this team plays at all. I don't think you can win in this league consistently playing a "not to lose" style. I was only making a point about the people (not necessarily on this board) who acted like there would be defensive breakdowns left and right if they somehow dressed 3 rookie defensemen to start the season.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, there were defensive breakdowns left and right to start the season.
After a while, Hagg and Sanheim settled down.

Reactions: hatcher

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Getting to see Boeser's shot last night off the rush reminded me of what I have been waiting to see all year, Patrick's.

They have been content having him with players suited to dump in the puck and grind out offense from behind the net. I really want to see Patrick with Voracek at some point. Someone that is good in transition and skilled.

TK on the other hand seems to create chances all on his own and is dragged down by his linemates rather that helped.

Line 1 - Giroux-Couturier-TK
Line 2 - Weal-Patrick-Voracek

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I've seen talk of two Phantoms getting promoted, which they can do by demoting Read and Alt, but then they would be at 23/23 and wouldn't be able to activate MacDonald without another demotion.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
It's only a matter of time.
I'm a little surprised how much the team has deteriorated without amac. I rewatched some of the early games this year and it doesn't look like the same team.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I've seen talk of two Phantoms getting promoted, which they can do by demoting Read and Alt, but then they would be at 23/23 and wouldn't be able to activate MacDonald without another demotion.

Philadelphia Flyers - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Will be interesting to see what they do when AMac is back...

as you say, with Alt+Read down and Morin+Martel up still have a 23 man roster and no space to take AMac off IR.

Lehtera waived? Weise waived?

Or a trade on the D... which being logical might be Manning. He is in final year, has been solid this season and could likely return a mid-round pick.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I assume Hextall really doesn't want to waive Weise or Lehtera, so a trade could be coming.

How many points will Manning score if he's on a new team for the last 60 games? Probably 20 knowing our luck. :laugh: At least Mase and Cousins haven't been lighting it up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
i dont believe this? they gonna just sit right?

The Flyers only have 6 available dmen so Morin sitting would be a shocker.

Provorov
Ghost
Manning
Hagg
Sanheim
Morin
MacDonald (injured)
Gudas (suspended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events