Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Good ones, no they are not. Given that we know they are expensive, I would rather pay up in FA.

Give Bonino what he wants and then sign Brian Boyle to a slight raise.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Right wing: C. Sheary ($2,500,000) - P. Kessel ($6,800,000) - P. Hornqvist ($4,250,000) - R. Reaves ($1,125,000)
Centre: S. Crosby ($8,700,000) - E. Malkin ($9,500,000) - N. Bonino ($4,000,000) - B. Boyle ($2,500,000) - C. Rowney ($612,500)
Left wing: J. Guentzel ($734,167) - B. Rust ($640,000) - C. Hagelin ($4,000,000) - S. Wilson ($625,000) - T. Kuhnhackl ($625,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: K. Letang ($7,250,000) - J. Schultz ($4,000,000) - C. Ruhwedel ($650,000)
Left: B. Dumoulin ($3,750,000) - O. Määttä ($4,083,333) - I. Cole ($2,100,000) - D. Pouliot ($800,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
M. Murray ($3,750,000) - T. Jarry ($630,833)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $75,000,000
Cap Hit: $73,625,833
Cap Space: $1,374,167

Assumes a couple of things - one that Rudwedel and Pouliot can be the 6/7 we need them to be and two that Jarry or a similar vet in the 600-1mil mark is signed. Still leaves us with about a mil in space.

I think my RFA and UFA price tags are pretty accurate too to be honest.

I too find it likely that Schultz would ask for more. Not a fan of that D-depth or having Jarry backing up either.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I think people are undervaluing how much he likes his situation in Pittsburgh. I very much believe he'll sign to a very workable contract.

Dumo-Maatta-Schultz should all basically have the same deal to be honest. All three at the $4mil mark is about right.
If Schultz signs for $4M, then his agent ****ed up. Becasue I think the Penguins would be more than happy to sign him for anything less than $5M.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I also have no faith in DP to crack this lineup in any form so I think were still short a depth D.
If we had a good D prospect or two in the AHL that would be an option to callup if needed I could see having DP as the 6th/7th Dman for the first half of the year as a last tryout kinda thing.

The fact we don't have anybody like that makes me want to carry 8 Dmen in the NHL at the start of next season, meaning we need another body.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feel at ease that at least 6+ responses were all in the same line of thinking. :laugh: I gotta make sure I stop letting the minority speak for all of us who choose to ignore it because it's silly. Good job, HFPens. I feel like i'm not crazy anymore.

And to those few people trying to be ultra NHL 18 creative... go outside. Take a walk. Relax. Back-to-back, baby. It's awesome. Just relax and let it sink in. Whatever happens, happens.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Dumo-Tang
Maatta-Schultz
Cole-Ruh
Pooh/Corrado

Just think JR leaves the D to the last possible thing to beef up.
He's comfortable with the above to start for now, imo.

After the RFA's plus the 3/4C combo are ironed out, he'll look at a backup G next so Jarry can play alot in WB. Very cheap kind like Zatkoff was but a guy with more NHL experience.

Then after all that if he has some $ to spend, he may look at a D beef up.

Think thats how he goes about this.
We'll see.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would be OK in most years, but we have a dynasty to chase, I'd rather not take a chance on a young guy to play the role we need our 3C to play.

Well, I could argue that the best way to keep a dynasty going is to bring in good young players who are NHL-ready, instead of keeping role players around just because they won with us already, or chase more veteran talent.

The argument can go both ways.

And therein lies the problem with the Reaves trade. We could have used those assets in a trade to address our center issues.

Chances are, the center we could have acquired by trading Sundqvist and moving down 20 draft positions would not have been good enough to play 3C for us.

And who exactly plays center if/when Sid/Geno get hurt?

Which is why it makes sense (even though almost everybody here hates the idea) to try to acquire Galchenyuk to play 3C. He could step up and play a bigger role, should the superstars be out.

We also have Dominik Simon, who was someone Mr. Jiggyfly mentioned recently as a possible C option for us. He is the type of center who could play above 4C, for sure.

We also have the option to move Guentzel back to center, say if Crosby were to go down.

It's not like we were in super-great shape with Bonino and Cullen replacing the superstars, but they did as well as could be expected when they played more.

It's beyond me how the following are not 100% consistent across our board:
- Hornqvist is not some plug who could easily be replaced. I just really cannot stand people saying that. He's one thing we desperately needed for like 5 years. Now we have him and people just want to punt him away. It's stupid. I'm 100% fine losing him for absolutely nothing if no contract negotiation is fair for the team/player. Because lord knows someone will pay that man his money in FA. It's not bad asset management if you are holding on to a great piece that can make a difference between a Cup or not. Keep him. Offer low term. If no agreement - I'm going to miss ya, but good luck.

Here is the thing with Hornqvist: how valuable is he to THIS team if he no longer plays first-unit PP? Probably a lot less. I think we have to realize that at some point Jake Guentzel is going to have to play on the first PP unit. His hands around the net are special. That would leave Hornqvist on the outside looking in.

That needs to be considered when we discuss tradeable assets for a 3C.

There's not much freaking out, but people are correct to be concerned. It's great to have them, beyond great, but Shero's philosophy was your first sentence. And when they were shut down, there was zero depth scoring. Hence some of the miserable playoff failures from '10-'14. I really think it's important to find two more centers that can actually score. Easier said than done, of course.

Except Shero ignored Crosby and Malkin's wings. We have plenty of those. It is not the same thing as when we were ignoring Crosby and Malkin and signing Martin and Michalek within a 20-minute span on July 1.

I agree that we need a new 3C, but a trade is the best way to get one this year.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm simply saying that if we need to free up space because we maybe want to have as many options as possible in free agency, I wouldn't find it particularly hard.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
People are upset because it is Monday June 26th and the Pens have not done anything substantial yet with all those FA's to sign and cap space to spend.

This kind of falls into the category of injury updates. Not only are we entitled to know everything that goes on, but the Pens are being real jerks by making us nervous by taking too long to make trades and sign FA's.

I agree, if the Pens were fan friendly they certainly would have done something by now to calm us down some.

Exactly! Damn them!

It's called a concern because I'm concerned that easy solution won't happen. Unless you aren't familiar with the definition of the word. I also said I'm not freaking out about it because I realize what day it is on the calendar.

Either way it's valid to be concerned about our center depth at this point. I'm not screaming that the sky is falling unless you are mistaking me with somebody else.

Our center depth needs sorted out. Why is that not an ok thing to say? Would you prefer we just don't discuss anything all summer long?

Nothing wrong with concerns, but all is well! Back-to-back Cups! Enjoy your summer with your family or spending time outside, not worrying about the Pens on some message board!

Right... you dont need two star centers, but you need something better than a Craig adams type too

Yep.

And to those few people trying to be ultra NHL 18 creative... go outside. Take a walk. Relax. Back-to-back, baby. It's awesome. Just relax and let it sink in. Whatever happens, happens.

A-friggin-men. Great time to be a Pens fan, not gonna freak out over the summer.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm simply saying that if we need to free up space because we maybe want to have as many options as possible in free agency, I wouldn't find it particularly hard.

We can always trade him after the signing though. We don't have to move him first to have options in free agency.

Also, Rutherford's comments seem to indicate we're not too bothered by free agency.

exHornet

May 14, 2014
If it really happens that Hornqvist or Hagelin get traded, we'll re-evaluate ourselves. But really, it does seem nuts.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The Pens needed to address what Reaves brings to this team. Sorry to burst your bubble but we were NOT strong in that area, so I guess we can agree to disagree on that.

That is opinion. We just won 2 cups without that kind of player, so there's evidence to the contrary on that front. Just because Rutherford said he wanted that kind of player, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

So yes, we'll agree to disagree on that.

Even still, if you want that kind of player, then try to bring in a tougher guy that plays center instead of wing?

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
There's no way they trade Horny, nor should they even consider it. He's literally the only guy on the team that does what he does.

I could see moving Hags for a center or D. He's fun to watch, great on the PK, and has sweet hair. But if he can bring back something we need, I'd do it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If it really happens that Hornqvist or Hagelin get traded, we'll re-evaluate ourselves. But really, it does seem nuts.

I don't think it's nuts. If we do end up needing to remove cap, or need a good established player for a trade, they're the obvious guys to look at.

But they should only go for an actual need, not a maybe need.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Dumo-Tang
Maatta-Schultz
Cole-Ruh
Pooh/Corrado

Just think JR leaves the D to the last possible thing to beef up.
He's comfortable with the above to start for now, imo.

After the RFA's plus the 3/4C combo are ironed out, he'll look at a backup G next so Jarry can play alot in WB. Very cheap kind like Zatkoff was but a guy with more NHL experience.

Then after all that if he has some $ to spend, he may look at a D beef up.

Think thats how he goes about this.
We'll see.

I agree with that- Def is GMJR's LAST CONCERN at the moment.

I think Niemi will be the target (recent buyout). I think it would be a fine idea if Jarry spends another year in WBS.

MM getting injured was a double whammy because it deprived Jarry of some much needed playoff experience down there

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
That is opinion. We just won 2 cups without that kind of player, so there's evidence to the contrary on that front. Just because Rutherford said he wanted that kind of player, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

Even still, if you want that kind of player, then try to bring in a tougher guy that plays center instead of wing?

Perfect.....you agree with you and I'll agree with Jimmy. I forget, how many Cup teams have you constructed again? Because if memory serves I believe Rutherford's up to 3 now.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Perfect.....you agree with you and I'll agree with Jimmy. I forget, how many Cup teams have you constructed again? Because if memory serves I believe Rutherford's up to 3 now.

I mean... Technically I agree with GMJR too. He did literally just construct 2 Stanley Cup winning teams that didn't have that kind of player. Who's to say what he's currently trying will work?

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008

And just for the record, Rutherford didn't bring in a tougher guy....he brought in the toughest.

SCPens

Feb 9, 2008
I mean... Technically I agree with GMJR too. He did literally just construct 2 Stanley Cup winning teams that didn't have that kind of player. Who's to say what he's currently trying will work?

And who's to say it won't? I mean he did literally just construct 2 Stanley Cup winning teams...

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

There aren't many tough guys that can play a regular shift, and there's almost no centers that fit that bill.

I'm ecstatic with Reaves, but having a physical defenseman would have been another route to go.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
And just for the record, Rutherford didn't bring in a tougher guy....he brought in the toughest.

I'm not entirely against getting tougher either btw. I'm against trading assets for a position where we were deep in instead of using those assets to address areas we are thin.

I'm sure I'll enjoy what Reaves brings to the team. Just not sold on the fact that it's necessary. Especially given other areas of need.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I'm not entirely against getting tougher either btw. I'm against trading assets for a position where we were deep in instead of using those assets to address areas we are thin.

Depends on how much of an 'asset' other GMs think Sundqvist is. Personally I think he sucks. The pick swapping doesn't seem to be a big deal, although again, that package could have brought back a 3C or physical D. Who knows

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
And im a Dom moore 4th line fan, but I don't know how serious the rumors were from his last stint here about burned bridges when Shero was pursuing Bertuzi back while Dom was still on the team... thought that might have been the reason for him splitting after the season

One of the things I've noticed while surfing the net hockey sites; is the limited amount of Pens inclusions on the national rumor lists. For example; on the Fourth Period site, out of the 30 top free agents; the Pens are supposedly in on two, Bonino and Kunitz. I would guess JR is holding his cards really close to his vest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad