Martel, Danick ~ LW/RW
Salinitri, Anthony ~ C
Sushko, Maxim ~ RW
Twarynski, Carson ~ LW
Warren, Brendan ~ LW
Willcox, Reece ~ RHD

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
marody again. he is going to receive top 6 and top pp time at Michigan this year. I really think this will be his break out season and he will finish at a ppg or better. this is a make or break year for him though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I went Marody here, he's actually flashed some talent at Michigan, whether immaturity or illness, he needs to stay on the ice this year, make a jump, and then go pro and give us another wing for LHV in 2018-19. The talent is there, but college players quickly become overage prospects, he's already 21.

Sushko would be my next choice, all tools, no performance so far, but post-draft is usually the key season in juniors, the year when you're the same age as most junior players and when your body should be filling out to where you can hold your own.

Lycksell, who knows?

Salinitri, decent but not great post-draft season.

Fazleev, Warren, Twarynski, don't see evidence they're more than AHL talent.

Martell, just don't see him as a NHL player, too small and lacks the exceptional speed and skills needed to compensate for being a smurf.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Martel can fly.

Great skill, as well. Here he is scoring a soccer-style volley goal.

martelsideslow.gif

martelbehind.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's not Johnny Gaudreau.
Martel went undrafted, had 60 points in the Q in his post-draft season, and didn't break out until his overage junior year.

He's improved in his two AHL seasons, and probably would be putting up numbers close to Weal if he was on the #1 PP (20-20 in 68g with little PP production).

But Weal needed 3+ AHL seasons to make it, and he's much bigger than Martel (weight) - Martel is tiny by NHL standards.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
He's not Johnny Gaudreau.
Martel went undrafted, had 60 points in the Q in his post-draft season, and didn't break out until his overage junior year.

He's improved in his two AHL seasons, and probably would be putting up numbers close to Weal if he was on the #1 PP (20-20 in 68g with little PP production).

But Weal needed 3+ AHL seasons to make it, and he's much bigger than Martel (weight) - Martel is tiny by NHL standards.

I can't tell if you're arguing in his favor or not.

He's a spark plug. Seems to make something happen every time he's on the ice. Not afraid to throw his weight around despite his size, and has very impressive skill.

No reason not to recognize him this far down the list.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's a long shot but it's not a Gaudreau or nothing situation. There's a level, or three, between those two outcomes.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He's a long shot but it's not a Gaudreau or nothing situation. There's a level, or three, between those two outcomes.

Well, there sorta isn't.

That is, if Martel isn't a 40-50 point top 9 forward, he is useless on a NHL roster. When you're that small, you really do have to be faster and quicker than everyone else on the ice.

Guys like Sushko or Cates, even if they're never top scorers, have the size (when they fill out) and speed to at least be useful on the 4th line as forecheckers with some offensive skills.

Even Lycksell (5'10 168) should be big enough to handle the NHL when he fills out (probably to 180-185).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Another post about a player's size. Shocking.

It's 2017. A 4th line doesn't have to have a 3 on meatheads on it. You can have fast, skilled players too. And it's not like Martel isn't gritty himself. If you've watched even a couple Phantoms games you would realize this, but here we are again. Another post filled with baseless assumptions.

Martel is quick and fast. Not sure why you keep bringing that up as if it's an issue. There's a reason he scores as much as he does despite not getting many minutes on the PP. His feet gain him a lot of scoring opportunities.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But he doesn't score that much, he's a decent scorer, but didn't dominant in junior until he was overage, had a nice second year in the AHL but wasn't dominant there either - he's a good scorer, not a great scorer.

And that's WHY his size matters, if he was a great scoring waterbug, you'd live with his limitations, but if he's only a good scorer, well, that's an issue.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He was considered an overager because he was born less than 3 weeks before the new year. He still put up monster numbers in his second year following his original draft year. And he only had 132 games of experience in the Q prior to that season so it's not like he gained a massive edge from experience. And if his usage in the AHL was switched with a guy like Leier, I think people would be singing a different tune about his production down there. He led the Phantoms in 5v5 scoring last year (2nd as a rookie too) and if he's going to score in the NHL, that's where his production will have to come from.

I mean we are sitting here ranking the 24th best skater in the system. I don't think anyone is saying he's great, or will be great. Hell I didn't even vote for him. He's a long shot, but he has a chance. It's not Gaudreau or bust. It's not Top 9 or bust. All it would really take for him to be in the NHL is a great season in the AHL next year and for Hextall to be unwilling to place him in waivers.

But I see you didn't mention skating this time so we are moving in the right direction!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I hope Twarynski (who turns 20 on 11-24) has a dominant overage season after already racking up 189 regular season WHL games.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I just have a hunch Martel doesn't get his shot here, maybe not even on LHV as a top guy. But agree with everything else.

Marody has always been interesting to me. His draft year USHL scoring was awesome (though it was a solid team); he's played buried on a good Michigan team but did admirably; had that weird year last year missing time and then being a key guy on an absolute trash team. But I don't know if I've ever watched him and been anything but ambivalent, though he's got tools. I do question his commitment a bit, but I'm placing that aside. I don't think playing center is best for him, and he still needed a lot of bulk watching last year. But here we are somehow at #24, and I can't fault anyone voting for him either because it's not out of the question he takes a leap....and we are at #24! I do wonder what his likelihood of being signed is though. Not so much on his end, but the Flyers' end. He doesn't feel like someone that is getting signed after his junior year.

Last edited:

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Felt compelled to vote for Bardreau because Hextall thought he was close last season. I'll vote Martel next and then Lysell and Marody are after that for me then I don't know. Flyers are more than 20 good prospects deep for sure.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Went Marody over Martel. I've always liked Martel but expected him to have a better 2nd AHL season (and, as Magua said, it feels like his window here is fading). I still have some hope he could break out, though. He's certainly quick, slick, and feisty.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Went Marody over Martel. I've always liked Martel but expected him to have a better 2nd AHL season (and, as Magua said, it feels like his window here is fading). I still have some hope he could break out, though. He's certainly quick, slick, and feisty.

Well, we did discuss he did improve and that he was the best 5v5 forward, on a talented team, who didn't get enough PP time. That obfuscates what a good season he had, after a good rookie year. And it's not so much that his window is fading due to anything he has done. I just wonder if he'll end up a victim of the numbers game and not actually have a window ever open for him to prove his worth. To be fair, you could say that about a handful of players already voted in.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well, we did discuss he did improve and that he was the best 5v5 forward, on a talented team, who didn't get enough PP time. That obfuscates what a good season he had, after a good rookie year. And it's not so much that his window is fading due to anything he has done. I just wonder if he'll end up a victim of the numbers game and not actually have a window ever open for him to prove his worth. To be fair, you could say that about a handful of players already voted in.

Fair enough. I was glad to read he was the top 5 on 5 scoring forward. Maybe I'm more disappointed in 40 points in 68 games in his 2nd AHL season (at age 22) than I should be, given the caveats. I just think he's up against it with his size and is going to need to explode to get a legit NHL shot, whether that's fair or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad