Prospect Info: 2017-18 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #21

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
And frankly it annoys me that they keep signing no-chance-NHL veterans like Conner and Carey and the like to devour PP and top scoring minutes instead of seeing what a kid like Martel has -- to say nothing of our drafted prospects. They made it basically impossible for him to get those minutes and actually evaluate him long-term. . . Seems to me like they're setting it up for him to get his potential shot elsewhere in a few years.

After listening to Gordon talk about players a couple times, it's pretty obvious to me that these decisions are primarily Hextall's, game decisions may be Gordon, but both the decision to add certain players, and slotting players into certain roles is definitely Hextall.

And yes, they're definitely going to let Martel get his shot elsewhere, three years ago he'd have gotten the Weal opportunity, but now they're so overcrowded with prospects (as these polls demonstrate) that he has zero chance of breaking into the Flyer lineup.

And it's not just Martel, if Leier doesn't make the Flyers this year he'll be passed by a number of guys out of juniors (and a couple college kids).

I expect two or three players a year to be traded for late round picks (like Cousins this year) from now on - you can only stash a player so long in the AHL before it becomes unfair to the player, and takes PT from younger prospects. You can't ask a Leier or Martell to accept the role of a Carey or McDonald until after they've had a shot at winning a NHL job. If they fail, welcome them back as experienced AHL veterans and "coaches on the ice."

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
But he didn't get much PP time and was 9th among forwards on the Phantoms in PP scoring. And frankly it annoys me that they keep signing no-chance-NHL veterans like Conner and Carey and the like to devour PP and top scoring minutes instead of seeing what a kid like Martel has -- to say nothing of our drafted prospects. They made it basically impossible for him to get those minutes and actually evaluate him long-term. It'll be hard to score more than he has. Like if Martel got those minutes and creeped closer to a point/game, with everything else he brings (**** and vinegar, nose for the net, good shot, real skating burst), maybe he'd arouse curiosity. Seems to me like they're setting it up for him to get his potential shot elsewhere in a few years.
I agree, I really don't understand the logic in signing these ahl all stars when we have talented offensive prospects in the pipeline. I don't mind the one signing(forget his name but he was like a 40 point ahl guy) because he isn't going to take away top minutes from the kids. yes you do need some vets down there but they shouldn't be getting the best playing time over guys with a real shot at the nhl. it was necessary when the team didn't have enough offensive talent to sign these guys so that the talent we had could develop without being counted on to carry the offensive load. but now that we have such an abundance of prospects that need top minutes and can be counted on to produce, guys like knight, Connor, and carey should be phased out for guys in our own pipeline. it's the one thing in hextalls tenure that has bothered me. maybe have one ahl vet scorer but 3 is overkill and now guys like martel will never get a fair shot to impress with numbers here. I have a feeling we will lose some of these guys that werent really given a chance to show what they can produce at the ahl level and they become solid nhlers for another organization.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I take it that there are maybe 3 classes of players at the AHL level for Hexy, and that he has different goals for all of them:
1. Real Prospects - prepare to play the position he projects them to play in the NHL, addressing any weaknesses in that game even if it plays them "out of position" compared to the next level. Example, Sanheim getting a mostly defensive dman treatment with little PP time.

And soak up a "winning" culture (i.e., dont get used to losing)

2. Career AHLers - play the positions and roles that best suite them to help the team win. Foster good habits in group 1 and otherwise promote the culture Hexy wants.

3. Tweaners - Learn, show that they get the culture, fill in the positional gaps left by groups 1 & 2, and see if they can make the most of their (limited) opportunities. If they can out-perform Group 2 and help the team win, great. But culture and winning will not be compromised for a AAAA player. E.g., Faz, Leier, NAK.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Personally I am voting based on a combination of potential based on skill sets/physical tools and likelihood of reaching their potential. Position is also a factor (Centers and Dmen usually more valuable than Wingers for example)

That seems like a solid system for basing your votes on. It's interesting to see the variations on how Flyer fans view their prospects. I'm trying to base my vote off a similar system, it's just tough to gauge who will be in the NHL and who won't be. I think if a guy like Leier doesn't make it this fall, or get a long look at some point during the season, he will be with a different team next year. But out of Leier, Cates, and Bernhardt, I'd still say Leier has the best chance to make the team not just this year, but moving forward. I have hope for both prospects but you can't put too much stock into guys who were picked so late in the draft.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Alt has become as career AHLer who never moved on, but I think Leier ends up on an NHL team eventually, even if it's not this one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
3. Tweaners - Learn, show that they get the culture, fill in the positional gaps left by groups 1 & 2, and see if they can make the most of their (limited) opportunities. If they can out-perform Group 2 and help the team win, great. But culture and winning will not be compromised for a AAAA player. E.g., Faz, Leier, NAK.

NAK isn't an AAAA player at this time. 2nd rd pick who showed well in junior and spent his first year in a defensive role, but has the speed, skills and body to be a top 9 forward down the road. At 5'11 204, has a NHL body.

Leier will probably play in the NHL for another team. Just lacks the scoring skills for top 9 and the body for a checking line.

Fazleev is an AAAA player unless his skating substantially improves.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That seems like a solid system for basing your votes on. It's interesting to see the variations on how Flyer fans view their prospects. I'm trying to base my vote off a similar system, it's just tough to gauge who will be in the NHL and who won't be. I think if a guy like Leier doesn't make it this fall, or get a long look at some point during the season, he will be with a different team next year. But out of Leier, Cates, and Bernhardt, I'd still say Leier has the best chance to make the team not just this year, but moving forward. I have hope for both prospects but you can't put too much stock into guys who were picked so late in the draft.

The issue for me with Leier is that even though I can see him becoming a bottom 6 NHLer, I don't think he will have much of an impact on a team.

With Cates and Bernhardts size/skill combination, they have the potential to have a bigger impact on an NHL club if they reach their ceiling.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00