Strome, Matthew ~ LW
Sushko, Maxim ~ RW
Twarynski, Carson ~ LW
Vecchione, Mike ~ C
Warren, Brendan ~ LW
Willcox, Reece ~ RHD

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I like Bunnaman and thought he had a great draft +1 season. I also think NAK had a solid season for the minutes that he was given and still has potential to be a bottom 6 winger with skill. But Laberge s ceiling is much higher than both of them. if he can get back on track this year after suffering that horrific cheap shot concussion, I could see him get into the top 5 next year. but there is also the chance that he is never the same and falls even further next year. i believe the flyers signed him to an elc already so he's going to be given a shot in the minors regardless. still it would be awesome if he consistently shows that high level of skill this year that he flashed in his draft year. very tough prospect to judge at this point but he definitely still has top 6 potential which is pretty remarkable as the #14 prospect.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Should be the biggest landslide poll since Morin

tumblr_ofic8oQWKc1sy8x5ho1_400.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I like Bunnaman and thought he had a great draft +1 season. I also think NAK had a solid season for the minutes that he was given and still has potential to be a bottom 6 winger with skill. But Laberge s ceiling is much higher than both of them. if he can get back on track this year after suffering that horrific cheap shot concussion, I could see him get into the top 5 next year. but there is also the chance that he is never the same and falls even further next year. i believe the flyers signed him to an elc already so he's going to be given a shot in the minors regardless. still it would be awesome if he consistently shows that high level of skill this year that he flashed in his draft year. very tough prospect to judge at this point but he definitely still has top 6 potential which is pretty remarkable as the #14 prospect.

Yep. Laberge is the only one left with a high ceiling, low floor after last season, but still has the ceiling. Whereas players like AK, Bunnyman, etc. could be solid forwards, but are unlikely to excel. And MV has a high floor as a 4th line forward, his ceiling is probably Matt Read.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
So this is a top 30 skater poll with 37 prospects. If you had to bet, who are the 7 that get left off?

I'll go with:
Amarosa
Drake
Goulbourne
Kalynuk
Salinitri
Twarynski
Warren

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get the laberge love. He was bad even before the concussion. His play after the concussion was not good and the concussion concerns are ongoing. I don't get it.

He was fine before the concussion. Slow start but wasn't playing poorly. Had a few really good games mixed in. Keep in mind his concussion came in his 7th or 8th game played last season..

I like his combination of size and speed with that fantastic release. He has 3 NHL tools at his disposal right there. After this season we will have a clearer picture.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Yep. Laberge is the only one left with a high ceiling, low floor after last season, but still has the ceiling. Whereas players like AK, Bunnyman, etc. could be solid forwards, but are unlikely to excel. And MV has a high floor as a 4th line forward, his ceiling is probably Matt Read.

I could be wrong but I think NAK is a good prospect. He is a very good skater, is good defensively, has decent size, is a good passer, has a decent shot, and has good hockey IQ. I don't think his skill is the highest end, like Konency. But I do think he has 2nd line potential and could be a good second line or third line player. I am much higher on him than I ever was on Laughton. He wasn't given much of a chance last year - hopefully the trust him more this season.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He was fine before the concussion. Slow start but wasn't playing poorly. Had a few really good games mixed in. Keep in mind his concussion came in his 7th or 8th game played last season..

I like his combination of size and speed with that fantastic release. He has 3 NHL tools at his disposal right there. After this season we will have a clearer picture.

And he's a big strong kid too, not a smurf. He offers size and speed with excellent hands and hockey IQ.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
So this is a top 30 skater poll with 37 prospects. If you had to bet, who are the 7 that get left off?

I'll go with:
Amarosa
Drake
Goulbourne
Kalynuk
Salinitri
Twarynski
Warren

Replace Salintri with Bernhardt

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I don't see why Bunnaman would be considered above Laberge, Kase, or Aube-Kubel. The latter three seem more well-rounded. Hogberg should get consideration over Bunnaman as well.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I don't see why Bunnaman would be considered above Laberge, Kase, or Aube-Kubel. The latter three seem more well-rounded. Hogberg should get consideration over Bunnaman as well.

I think NAK, Bunnaman, and Hogberg can go in whatever order. As for more well-rounded......in what way? Laberge is the most one-dimensional player on that list, but that dimension is the best of the bunch (we hope). Kase is well-rounded for sure, but he's also on the small side, and how that well-roundedness projects in the NHL isn't entirely known. His post-draft years have been something of a mystery that makes projecting him still quite hard. For the same reason he's going to the SHL and wasn't signed by the Flyers, we need a more clear indicator of his play and what he is before I'd move him from the ~20th spot he's been sitting at for me since last year, and I do like him.

I think Bunnaman is more versatile than people think, just because he's a tank that does a ton of damage in front. He's a better passer than those assist numbers indicate, and he's got soft hands not just in front of the net. He's also one of the smarter guys on that list and routinely switches between center and wing. And talking about projection, he's someone who it isn't crazy to think could be in contention for PP1 net front one day. Out of all those forwards, he's maybe the most projectable as a pro, and if 7 years from now he ended up the best, I wouldn't bat an eye. It's not outlandish to me to vote or not vote for him at this stage. He's a good player and always stands out when you watch Kitchener.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bunnyman is definitely ahead of Kase, who is an unknown without any great skill (speed, size, shot) to hang his hat on right now.

The problem is at this point we're mostly looking at "role" players, but they're not breaking into the top six on the Flyers in two to three years (look at the top 7 or 8, G, V, Patrick, Konency, Lindblom, Rubtsov, Couts, Frost?, Simmons?). Laberge is the only player with that kind of potential on the board.

So Bunnyman and Strome are candidates for the Simmonds, stand in front of the net, screen the goalie and deflect shots role. Do that well enough and you have a shot at the top 9 and the #1 PP.

AK could be an excellent bottom six forward, same with MV.

Cates and Marody have the speed to blossom, but right now you can't project them into the top 9.

Kase would have to make a big jump into the top 6/9, and is he suited to the bottom six?

It's getting ridiculous, the two Swedes are solid prospects, gee, playing in the SHL at 20 years old and holding your own? Above average size and mobility? What's not to like? And they're looking at 7 young defensemen ahead of them.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Kase could play bottom six in the future for sure given his skillset. That being if he keeps growing as a player.

Might be small but a great forechecker, tenacious, not scared of anyone with solid defense to boot.

His brother has been fine in a bottom six NHL role and David has more talent - though he is smaller.

And as for the two Swedes and age - Högberg is not even 19 for another 2 months.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd just like to say that it is no more "Bunnyman" than it is "Spiderman" because it is not the same as "Friedman" or even "Batman."

It's Bunny Man. I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist. Good night.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'd just like to say that it is no more "Bunnyman" than it is "Spiderman" because it is not the same as "Friedman" or even "Batman."

It's Bunny Man. I'm afraid I'm going to have to insist. Good night.

I really feel like there should be a hyphen between Bunny and Man, but I will defer to you of course.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
I think NAK, Bunnaman, and Hogberg can go in whatever order. As for more well-rounded......in what way? Laberge is the most one-dimensional player on that list, but that dimension is the best of the bunch (we hope). Kase is well-rounded for sure, but he's also on the small side, and how that well-roundedness projects in the NHL isn't entirely known. His post-draft years have been something of a mystery that makes projecting him still quite hard. For the same reason he's going to the SHL and wasn't signed by the Flyers, we need a more clear indicator of his play and what he is before I'd move him from the ~20th spot he's been sitting at for me since last year, and I do like him.

I think Bunnaman is more versatile than people think, just because he's a tank that does a ton of damage in front. He's a better passer than those assist numbers indicate, and he's got soft hands not just in front of the net. He's also one of the smarter guys on that list and routinely switches between center and wing. And talking about projection, he's someone who it isn't crazy to think could be in contention for PP1 net front one day. Out of all those forwards, he's maybe the most projectable as a pro, and if 7 years from now he ended up the best, I wouldn't bat an eye. It's not outlandish to me to vote or not vote for him at this stage. He's a good player and always stands out when you watch Kitchener.

Ah, thanks for the explanation. By well-rounded I meant in terms of offensive production, though I'm afraid that this was informed by simply looking at the distribution of points between goals and assists.

However unoriginal, I think I was the first to associate Bunnaman with bunnies on his draft page. So, I'm sticking to Bunnyman. I'll probably stop when Cap sends a cease and desist letter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad