2016 World Junior Discussion (continues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CXLe7VWUkAI26J6.jpg

Hopefully Marner can emulate his linemate's performance and elevate his game as the tournament progresses.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.tsn.ca/bruins-to-release-pastrnak-to-czech-wjc-team-1.414300

Bruins to release Pastrnak to Czech WJC team

Better late than never.

Pastrnak, 19, has split his sophomore professional season between the Bruins and their American Hockey League affiliate in Providence.

This will be the third World Juniors tournament in which Pastrnak has competed. Last year, Pastrnak had a goal and six assists in five games.

Should be a boost to the team.

So who decided?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ch-ron-wilson-slams-tsn-at-world-juniors.html

"TSN has created this unconscionable amount of pressure on these young guys," said Wilson, the ex-coach of the Maple Leafs. "The Canadian guys have to be squeezing their sticks today because of all the pressure that TSN puts on them.
"They're expected to win. Here, they've lost their first game and the world's ready to end. I'm always saying make sure the flags are always flying at half-staff in Canada. That's what we (Americans) did. The flags in Canada are flying at half-staff."

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Even when he tries to take pressure off young players, Ron Wilson comes off as what he is, a pretty unlikeable man.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Even when he tries to take pressure off young players, Ron Wilson comes off as what he is, a pretty unlikeable man.
Opinions vary, and hes not off base at all. When Gretzky played in the WJC there was almost zero coverage. These are still kids. Imo it's not fair to put the weight of a nation on their back. They already have it. They know they are representing their country, but TSN highlights every mistake or missed oportunity and this gets thrown back in their faces.
Not fair to amplify this stage to such levels, its not the Olympics, yet the TSN hype is pretty close.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...ch-ron-wilson-slams-tsn-at-world-juniors.html

"TSN has created this unconscionable amount of pressure on these young guys," said Wilson, the ex-coach of the Maple Leafs. "The Canadian guys have to be squeezing their sticks today because of all the pressure that TSN puts on them.
"They're expected to win. Here, they've lost their first game and the world's ready to end. I'm always saying make sure the flags are always flying at half-staff in Canada. That's what we (Americans) did. The flags in Canada are flying at half-staff."

What a jackass, my god :facepalm:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm half a world away and can see the pressure the Canadian team faces. I love the tourney, but hey, let's keep it in perspective. Today isn't tomorrow and tomorrow isn't a career.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I'm half a world away and can see the pressure the Canadian team faces. I love the tourney, but hey, let's keep it in perspective. Today isn't tomorrow and tomorrow isn't a career.
This says it all
We're here to win," said Canadian centre Dylan Strome. "Canada doesn't come to this tournament to get bronze or finish fourth or to just compete. We're here to win. There's no secret about that. That's what Canada is supposed to do every year
While I know that the players put a lot on themselves, the media hype is adding too much on top of that.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Meh, these guys are under pressure all the time in the OHL etc... From their friends, parents most of them. A great coach like Babcock would have them playing just fine. Dave Lowry? Please.

Wilson is an attention seeker and said that because he despises Canada, Canadians and the media he feels threw him off the bus. Anyone can see that can't they? U think he cares about Canadian kids gripping their sticks too hard? Do you? Really? Cause if you do, I have some ocean front property on Bay Street I want to divest myself of.

People who know him well say he is very intelligent in certain ways, but anything now directed towards Canada is pure venom for losing the best job he ever had.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Meh, these guys are under pressure all the time in the OHL etc... From their friends, parents most of them. A great coach like Babcock would have them playing just fine. Dave Lowry? Please.

Wilson is an attention seeker and said that because he despises Canada, Canadians and the media he feels threw him off the bus. Anyone can see that can't they? U think he cares about Canadian kids gripping their sticks too hard? Do you? Really? Cause if you do, I have some ocean front property on Bay Street I want to divest myself of.

People who know him well say he is very intelligent in certain ways, but anything now directed towards Canada is pure venom for losing the best job he ever had.
TSN gave him a job.
The article states that this could be a ploy by Wilson, but I agree for the reasons I've posted above.
I'm not here to defend Wilson, I'm just talking about the kids on the team.
Saying Babcock would have them playing better might be true, but Babcock is also the master of setting reasonable or even lowered expectations, as is eveident with his there will be pain comment.
At best team canada is the 2nd best team in the WJC, so why set a goal of gold or bust?
These are still kids. Adversity is good to learn from, but you have to be able to forgive your mistakes. Meida will not forgive nor forget, they will have all their bad plays replayed on youtube for them for their whole life. Even the thought of that seem extreme for 19 and under year old kids.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Just understand that Wilson has less than zero regard for Toronto and Canada and judge his remarks accordingly. Every elite Canadian athlete deals with pressure 5 times or more of that of any other hockey player, been that way since we got jacked by the Russians in 72. Which again was large in part due to the less than ******** scouting report by our scouting contingent that the Russians basically stunk. Sadly they were both Toronto Maple Leaf employees.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
I remember Marner saying the competition in rookie camp is much higher than in WJC. But the difference in coverage is vastly different.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Just understand that Wilson has less than zero regard for Toronto and Canada and judge his remarks accordingly. Every elite Canadian athlete deals with pressure 5 times or more of that of any other hockey player, been that way since we got jacked by the Russians in 72. Which again was large in part due to the less than ******** scouting report by our scouting contingent that the Russians basically stunk. Sadly they were both Toronto Maple Leaf employees.
'72 was pro atheletes playing.
I understand that canadian hockey atheletes have tremendous pressure on them and I dont have a problem with that. My issue is the media hype and unjustified pressure added on top that these kids have to deal with.
Also not here to argue about Wilson alleged likes or dislikes, his personality or what kind of coach he is was will be, its all about the kids.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Staying classy as ever.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

brandon hickey had a chat with lowry at the end of practice with the coach using his stick several times to point to areas around the ice. "just a little bit of talk about the d zone," hickey explained, "just adjusting a bit. Obviously, this is a bit different than what i work on and what i do at boston university so just trying to adjust a little more and settle in to the systems a bit more. The talk with him made things way more clear."

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
Watched a little bit of denmark switzerland, liked a lot Mathias From, danish player from Rogle he scored a goal but i liked his skill and speed and he's not small..would like him in the 4 5 round in the draft

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Watched a little bit of denmark switzerland, liked a lot Mathias From, danish player from Rogle he scored a goal but i liked his skill and speed and he's not small..would like him in the 4 5 round in the draft

He's one of the 5 guys to look out for, and I personally thought he was the best from the bunch in terms of 2016 draft talent. If you watched some tape on him from other places, he's pretty damn good.

All but one of the guys I said look out for had a point, so I want to see the highlights of that game. They may find themselves in medal contention this year.

Filip Lestan also had a goal for Slovakia over Belarus. Big project guy whom could be taken in the latter rounds.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
'72 was pro atheletes playing.
I understand that canadian hockey atheletes have tremendous pressure on them and I dont have a problem with that. My issue is the media hype and unjustified pressure added on top that these kids have to deal with.
Also not here to argue about Wilson alleged likes or dislikes, his personality or what kind of coach he is was will be, its all about the kids.

On the flip side to this the ones that go far and win gold for our country seem to end up being really good NHLers. I think it a really big achievement to overcome the pressures and win. Probably why I put so much stock in the scouting of this tournament.

Pressures good, let them rise and fall. They'll get the life lessons they need to succeed that way, and besides... It's boring to win year after year.

Regardless of placement we always will see the guys who shake the pressures off and perform above the team.

+1 to Strome so far.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
On the flip side to this the ones that go far and win gold for our country seem to end up being really good NHLers. I think it a really big achievement to overcome the pressures and win. Probably why I put so much stock in the scouting of this tournament.

Pressures good, let them rise and fall. They'll get the life lessons they need to succeed that way, and besides... It's boring to win year after year.

Regardless of placement we always will see the guys who shake the pressures off and perform above the team.

+1 to Strome so far.
I am in agreement to an extent; the tournament and the payers place a high expectation on themselves which is good and expected. But the media coverage will immortalize the players for good or bad. There is no level of forgiveness there. You are 18-19 and you made a bad pay and cost the whole country a medal. Now im going to show the country, repeatedly your error, who cares if thats the only one you made.
Hickey made a bad play deflecting the puck on the gwg. Now he has to answer to reporters about it. If, and I said if, canada doesnt make the next round, suddenly this might become the play that turned the tide. Media sensationalism should not be here for these kids. Calling out pro atheletes is one thing, and even then some cant handle it well, but these are kids.
Imo the coverage should be toned down. The expectations should be set to an acceptable level.
Where do you rank team canada in this WJC? 2? 3? 4?
Nobody has them ranked as 1st but the expectation is gold. If thats player/team imposed thats fine, but when media if playing that card, imo not fair to the kids.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
TSN is putting pressure on Team Canada to win?
And people agree with that?

Please. I would reckon that being Canadian and it being an international hockey tournament is what puts "pressure" on Canada to win. Mostly because most Canadians want/demand gold whenever it's an international tournament.

so. which - basically he is saying. Canada. through TSN makes it so it's tough. But. i mean. if this was like. "Football" or something (Baseball?) wouldn't the USA expect to win? name a sport, and chances are there's gonna be a country that's dominant and that country is expected to win. Kids or not.

Quite frankly. Strome saying "they expect to win" is good. you don't go there as Canada (or USA, or Sweden or Finland) and go "well, I really hope to do a good showing, I'll be okay with 5th place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad