2016 World Junior Discussion (Continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Last one was full.

This tournament is actually showing strong for a lot of 2016 draftees - Nylander as well as Laine and Puljujärvi, Matthews has looked good, and to a lesser extent Gauthier's done well.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I hate to say it guys, but I think the States are the team to beat.

What makes them even scarier is they are doing this without Hanifin and Eichel.

champs*

we could have macdavid,ekblad,Bennett , Reinhart

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Last one was full.

This tournament is actually showing strong for a lot of 2016 draftees - Nylander as well as Laine and Puljujärvi, Matthews has looked good, and to a lesser extent Gauthier's done well.

Julien Gauthier kind of reminds me of Mark Stone.

If Sweden has William Nylander back, I think they could be up there, although I like the U.S. goaltending more then Sweden's.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Kapanen leading the tournament in shots on goal with 15. He's been having some bad luck.

Strome/Laine both have 14.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
You don't think Marner will become something? He will. Specially with our coaching staff, but I sure hope he can deal with all the negative Nancies in Toronto. To me he is totally unique, no one really in NHL history quite like him. Has quickness, not explosive skating power. That explosiveness can be worked on.

My feeling is to really get good, if you know you are going to be relegated to playing in the OHL another year, is to work on your weaknesses physically.

WHo is to say and I believe it to be true, that Marner is working out like a beast on his thin legs.

If any of you have done a lot of leg weight room and plyometric exercises, he could be totally spent already by this time of year.

In other words, to be a total BEAST in two years, he may be working out in the gym, more than he cares about scoring 5ppg like he probably could be, in the OHL.

I bet this is what is going on, and if it is, its a full who cares in a lot of games for him. He is on a body quest.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
The draft eligible players have looked amazing.

Team Canada's snipers look clueless. The play makers and the finishers seem to have a serious disconnect.

Defense looks shaky. Need to play sanheim-dermott more

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You don't think Marner will become something? He will. Specially with our coaching staff, but I sure hope he can deal with all the negative Nancies in Toronto. To me he is totally unique, no one really in NHL history quite like him. Has quickness, not explosive skating power. That explosiveness can be worked on.

My feeling is to really get good, if you know you are going to be relegated to playing in the OHL another year, is to work on your weaknesses physically.

WHo is to say and I believe it to be true, that Marner is working out like a beast on his thin legs.

If any of you have done a lot of leg weight room and plyometric exercises, he could be totally spent already by this time of year.

In other words, to be a total BEAST in two years, he may be working out in the gym, more than he cares about scoring 5ppg like he probably could be, in the OHL.

I bet this is what is going on, and if it is, its a full who cares in a lot of games for him. He is on a body quest.

Just one thing I gotta point out, you can have power in tiny legs. I saw Wayne Simmonds a LOT a few years back when he was still with the Kings during the summer at an establishment I frequented as a college student. His legs weren't that big but by god did he have some power in him when I shook his hand. Real nice guy too, was surprised no one recognized him.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Well some poor pro athletes, I was one of them, have more power in their upper bodies than their lower. This is not ideal for tennis and hockey. Better to be built like a centaur for tennis and hockey. Human upper body, horse lower. Thus...... centaur. Marner looks to be equally skinny in lower and upper. Sure he is strong to some degree, but not NHL strong yet, not at all. Imagine if he can develop that though. He strikes me as being a lot more conscientious than Wellwood ever was. Wellwood did have huge talent though.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Kapanen leading the tournament in shots on goal with 15. He's been having some bad luck.

Strome/Laine both have 14.

Kappy is 15-1 or 16-1 in shots per goal.

I'm hoping Mitch comes back alive with those two Brutes from Finland looking to lay the body on. And the Swede's are no shrinking violet's either, looks like the Vikings have turned back the clock a thousand years and are on the March to rule the world once more. Hopefully they wont reclaim Newfoundland and Labrador, were they once occupied those territories. Remains of their Dwellings can still be seen there.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well some poor pro athletes, I was one of them, have more power in their upper bodies than their lower. This is not ideal for tennis and hockey. Better to be built like a centaur for tennis and hockey. Human upper body, horse lower. Thus...... centaur. Marner looks to be equally skinny in lower and upper. Sure he is strong to some degree, but not NHL strong yet, not at all. Imagine if he can develop that though. He strikes me as being a lot more conscientious than Wellwood ever was. Wellwood did have huge talent though.

Agreed on all accounts.

I think I remember with Backes being called "chicken legs" in his draft year, maybe even at the combine? Good upper body strength too at the time.

Either way, Mitch is barely 18 at this point, I think everyone who is old enough in here can recall how different they were from 17 to 21 right? Huge differences. He'll still be able to grow and add muscle beyond that time too. Mitch is definitely committed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Laine or Puljujärvi would be excellent high quality additions and address the need for some size in the prospect pool.

I wasn't that high on Laine, but concerns have been silenced. He's looked really good against his own peer group, and against men in Finland.

Really want Chychrun but...yeah the top of this draft class is really starting to look good. All the more reason to hope Pittsburgh is able to get into the playoffs and get knocked out quickly. 15-16th pick could be a beauty as well....or maybe worth trading up?

I imagine our 2nd is going to be 31st-35th, worth giving that up and 15-16th for say #7-10? 7 might be too ambitious but just spitballing here.

I have really liked the idea of taking Carter Hart with our early 2nd like Cor has suggested.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

OvenMittz*

So as it stand today.. Does Swden face Denmark in the quarterfinals and Canada faces USA?

Is that how the standings work?

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So, we barely beat the Swiss in a shootout, and, the Americans beat them 10-1. I know the Swiss had to play them back to back after playing us and all, but, that's no excuse for this thumping if they're now almost as good as the top teams.

Anyone still want to defend our team for not beating the Swiss in regulation time? Anyone?

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
So as it stand today.. Does Swden face Denmark in the quarterfinals and Canada faces USA?

Is that how the standings work?

I think the two pools crossover in the elimination rounds, so we'd be facing the Czech Republic as of right now, and probably Finland by the time the standings are finalized.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
So, we barely beat the Swiss in a shootout, and, the Americans beat them 10-1. I know the Swiss had to play them back to back after playing us and all, but, that's no excuse for this thumping if they're now almost as good as the top teams.

Anyone still want to defend our team for not beating the Swiss in regulation time? Anyone?
Yeah, there goes the whole closing the gap argument :laugh:.

What a curbstomp.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just one thing I gotta point out, you can have power in tiny legs. I saw Wayne Simmonds a LOT a few years back when he was still with the Kings during the summer at an establishment I frequented as a college student. His legs weren't that big but by god did he have some power in him when I shook his hand. Real nice guy too, was surprised no one recognized him.

That's speed not power. Leg power is when someone latches on to you an you can break through them or tow them. Think tractor pull.

I think Simmonds was falling down a fair bit back in LA too. He really beefed up now and I like the player a lot. Hope Marner takes training seriously and want Strength.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Kind of like Belarus beating Sweden at the Salt Lake City Olympics or Italy tying Canada in the World Championships in the 80's. Lots of upsets or near upsets over the years. **** happens.

If lower pool teams upset the power houses & especially Canada, nothing else matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad