Pre-Game Talk: 2016 World Cup of Hockey

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Palat and Sustr named for Czech Republic team.

I have to ask because I think I might have missed info on this but with the WC final being on October 1 and the 16/17 season starting as usual on October 8 or 9 how will that be with pre-season and training camp, I can't imagine it will be easy this year, I can only imagine how itwill be for anyone who gets like trade or get signed by a new team during the summer and not have those weeks with their team to get used to their system.

I also wonder how it will be for us since Vasy will probably be the 3rd goalie for Russia and if Bish gets picked and he isn't the starter for USA we might go into the season with two goalies that haven't played any games since the playoffs and that's rough. It's also going to be weird going into training camp with so many of our regulkars missing but I think it will be easier for the skaters since they will still play.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Palat and Sustr named for Czech Republic team.

I have to ask because I think I might have missed info on this but with the WC final being on October 1 and the 16/17 season starting as usual on October 8 or 9 how will that be with pre-season and training camp, I can't imagine it will be easy this year, I can only imagine how itwill be for anyone who gets like trade or get signed by a new team during the summer and not have those weeks with their team to get used to their system.

I also wonder how it will be for us since Vasy will probably be the 3rd goalie for Russia and if Bish gets picked and he isn't the starter for USA we might go into the season with two goalies that haven't played any games since the playoffs and that's rough. It's also going to be weird going into training camp with so many of our regulkars missing but I think it will be easier for the skaters since they will still play.

As long as they're practicing with NHL players that's better then playing exhibition games anyway.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
Tampa's Russians going to play at the world cup

Vasilevskiy, Namestnikov and Kucherov all got selected to the Russian world cup hockey team. I find it pretty cool to see even Vasilevskiy being selected even as a third goalie. In my opinion hes being playing really well same with Namestnikov and Kucherov has just been ripping it this year. Do you guys think these guys will help Russia at the world cup and Tampa as they near the playoffs and the end of the season?

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Both Hedman and Strålman made team Sweden, we knew that before but it was just made official.

Stamper

Mar 26, 2014
In the woods
Vasilevskiy, Namestnikov and Kucherov all got selected to the Russian world cup hockey team. I find it pretty cool to see even Vasilevskiy being selected even as a third goalie. In my opinion hes being playing really well same with Namestnikov and Kucherov has just been ripping it this year. Do you guys think these guys will help Russia at the world cup and Tampa as they near the playoffs and the end of the season?

Well, Kucherov is arguably the 2nd best winger in the Russian team, id put him right there with Tarasenko and Panarin, and 3rd best forward, yeah before Kovy, so he will definitely help them :laugh:

And Names brings good hustle as a 3rd-line center option.

And Vasy is a big game goalie imho, so even if he just gets one insignificant game as a nod he will bring his absolute best.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I'm pleasantly surprised to see Vasy chosen in the initial selection. It's going to be a great experience for him even if he only gets 1 game. Awesome to see Vlad picked too. The rest aren't/won't be surprising but it's going to be great to watch so many Bolts playing.

The thread title needs to be changed though. This is for the World Cup not the annual world championships

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
After Hedman got snuffed out of the Olympics roster i'm happy to see him make Team Sweden for the World Cup team. Hedman and Karlsson together on a line :amazed::popcorn::naughty:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
We don't have any players on Team Europe but if anyone want to see the jersey and/or logo that they will use it's here:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Stamkos named as the first of 16 for Team Canada, no surprise there.

Team USA will be interesting, many player there as well.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Bishop named for team USA.

No TJ though, could be due to this season and if he has a playoff anywhere like last year he will be in later.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm not happy with World Cup of hockey if we have another long playoff run our guys need rest in the offseason. I'm glad Johnson did not get picked he needs rest to get healthy after the season.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
I don't understand picking Abdelkader over TyJo though. He's not having a better season this year and he definitely didn't last year.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I don't understand picking Abdelkader over TyJo though. He's not having a better season this year and he definitely didn't last year.

They might just have archetypes/positions they have in mind more than anything. USA is pretty center heavy, and committing to play a center on the wing for your initial 16 man roster is probably not ideal.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
They might just have archetypes/positions they have in mind more than anything. USA is pretty center heavy, and committing to play a center on the wing for your initial 16 man roster is probably not ideal.

They only named 2 centers on their list, Stepan and Kesler. Johnson is obviously on the shortlist, I'm guessing they want to evaluate him more because of the type of season he's having.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
TyJo is probably being considered but has been battling injuries all year and hasn't had that great a year. He's being considered because of his monster year last season. If he returns to full form and becomes a playoff god again then he'll most likely make the team, if he doesn't then i'd be alright with it because it gives him some rest

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
They only named 2 centers on their list, Stepan and Kesler. Johnson is obviously on the shortlist, I'm guessing they want to evaluate him more because of the type of season he's having.

Isn't Pavelski a C?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad