Blue Jays GDT: (2016 v7) Next: vs CWS | Tue, Apr 26| 7pm ET/4pm PT | Sale vs Dickey

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Splitting hairs.

It's splitting hairs to note that the Jays are statistically around the middle of hte pack in terms of AL pens instead of being clearly "the worst"?

That's some thick, thick hair.

Texas is pretty clearly the worst. By a sizeable margin. The Jays actually aren't that far off from the vaunted Red Sox pen and are comfortably nestled into that middle 3rd. Small sample size, yes. But if we're declaring the bar-none-worst pen so far this year, it's the only sample we've got.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
situationally the Jays pen might be one of the worst. In WPA they're 3rd last in the AL. So the situations they've given up runs in may perceive them to be worse than they are.

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
unreal. Cecil has been garbage all year. When's Gibbons going to give his starters a chance to clean up their own messes. The majority of the pen is pitching horribly this year, you cannot trust them at this point. The starters, for the most part, have been great, they deserve to have a longer leash. If I was Stroman, I'd be crazy pissed off right now, this is the second time this year that he's been screwed out of a win and tagged for runs that he really didn't deserve.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Cecil just tied Chris Archer for the league lead. That normally would be a good thing but in this case it was the league lead in losses with 4.

unreal. Cecil has been garbage all year. When's Gibbons going to give his starters a chance to clean up their own messes. The majority of the pen is pitching horribly this year, you cannot trust them at this point. The starters, for the most part, have been great, they deserve to have a longer leash. If I was Stroman, I'd be crazy pissed off right now, this is the second time this year that he's been screwed out of a win and tagged for runs that he really didn't deserve.

He'd just loaded the bases on a 4 pitch walk to a #9 hitter where none of the pitches were even close after getting drilled with a ball the previous batter.

That was his rope, and you had to believe that might have affected him.

People just have hindsight bias. Bad result doesn't always mean bad choice. If Stroman gets left in and walks the next 2 batters people would say he was clearly pulled too late

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I still don't understand how ANYONE can blame Stroman for that game. yes he loaded the bases, but when you leave the game 5-1 you should have a team that can close games. Leaving 5-3 with the bases loaded 2 outs... okay fine. they hit a single and 2 runs score it is what is 5-5. But 5-1. They need 1 OUT. 1. They allow 5 guys to come to the plate. 5 batters guys. Stroman did his job. You ask your starter to keep you in until he runs out of gas. he did that. This has happened to Stroman twice now. It's going to happen to every starter, just sucks it's happened to Stro twice already. Excellent game from Stroman. Even though all his runs came in; it would still be 5-4. Bullpen has been pathetic.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I thought that was a good spot to bring in Cecil to help him build some confidence.

An important moment in the game, but with enough of a cushion to not be a completely high-stakes.

Of course it backfired badly, but I think Gibbons was trying to help Cecil regain his confidence. At this point Cecil needs to be relegated to mop-up duty and pure LOOGY situations until he starts to string together some successful outings.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Raptors making it easy to switch to the Jays game.

Dickey v. Sale will make you regret that decision quite quickly I bet

of note: Dickey is leading the Jays pitching staff in fWAR :laugh

His K's have been good, you could say he's been getting unlucky with balls in play, I guess we'll just have to wait and see

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
niiceee double play :)

okay. so why is it an error? he didn't drop the ball.. he never really had the ball.
is it charged because he SHOULD have caught the ball?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
niiceee double play :)

okay. so why is it an error? he didn't drop the ball.. he never really had the ball.
is it charged because he SHOULD have caught the ball?

yes, that or he should have picked it up while it was lying there afterward and still threw the guy out at 1st(I'm not sure if he could have or not, that's a ruling the scorer would have to make)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad