WC: 2016 Team Latvia

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
Yeap, at one time Horvat&Kenins looked really good as a duo.

Shame, it only lasted for ~15 games. :(

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I feel like with this team we are in a real risk to relegate. Our D corps are just pathetic we basically have no puck moving D`s who could get the puck up the ice and have to have guys like Širokovs and Andersons :facepalm:

On the offensive top-6 were missing : Karsums and Dārziņš,which isnt all THAT bad ,but when we look at our defense we miss 3 of our best defenders : Kulda, Bartulis and K.Redlihs.

I hope im wrong, but i just cant muster any optimism for this team at all.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
On an unrelated note : im surprised how Ābols isnt drafted, he has looked great so far in the exhibition games for us and has been very productive you would think hes worth atleast a pick in the 7th round :huh:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I feel like with this team we are in a real risk to relegate. Our D corps are just pathetic we basically have no puck moving D`s who could get the puck up the ice and have to have guys like Å irokovs and Andersons :facepalm:

On the offensive top-6 were missing : Karsums and DārziņÅ¡,which isnt all THAT bad ,but when we look at our defense we miss 3 of our best defenders : Kulda, Bartulis and K.Redlihs.

I hope im wrong, but i just cant muster any optimism for this team at all.

Dont worry, Sweden and Hungary is worse.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
On an unrelated note : im surprised how Ābols isnt drafted, he has looked great so far in the exhibition games for us and has been very productive you would think hes worth atleast a pick in the 7th round :huh:

Based on his last WC appearance he wasn't worth a 14th round pick.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Kenins has expressed his willingness to stay in NA. Is not sure whether Canucks will offer him a new contract, yet hopes other teams will be interested in him as well.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Final roster is clear. (Hasn't been OFFICIALLY announced)

Final roster:
G Janis Kalnins (MOL)
G Edgars Masalskis (KHL)
G Elvis Merzlikins (NLA)

D Janis Andersons (SVK)
D Oskars Cibulskis (KHL)
D Ralfs Freibergs (ECHL)
D Guntis Galvins (KHL)
D Aleksandrs Jerofejevs (KHL)
D Edgars Siksna (VHL)
D Maksims Sirokovs (Italy)
D Kristaps Sotnieks (KHL)

F Rodrigo Abols (WHL)
F Maris Bicevskis (KHL)
F Roberts Bukarts (CZE)
F Kaspars Daugavins (KHL)
F Andris Dzerins (KHL)
F Zemgus Girgensons (NHL)
F Miks Indrasis (KHL)
F Ronalds Kenins (NHL)
F Edgars Kulda (KHL)
F Gints Meija (KHL)
F Vitalijs Pavlovs (KHL)
F Mikelis Redlihs (KHL)
F Aleksejs Sirokovs (VHL)
F Gunars Skvorcovs (KHL)

Last edited:

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Last 6 players that were released - D Demiters, Rubins (a pity), Zile and F Ozolins, Jelisejevs, Saulietis.

Final roster by league:
KHL - 14
NHL - 2
NLA - 1
CZE - 1

VHL - 2
MOL - 1
SVK - 1
Italy - 1
ECHL - 1
WHL - 1

WC debut for Elvis Merzlikins, Edgars Siksna, Maris Bicevskis, Edgars Kulda

ergi24

Feb 19, 2015
Slovakia
Merzlikins
Masalskis
Kalnins

Sotnieks - Cibulskis
Galvins - Jerofejevs
Freibergs - Siksna
Andersons - M. Sirokovs

Kenins - Girgensons - Daugavins
Bukarts - Dzerins - M. Redlihs
Indrasis - Meija - Skvorcovs
Abols - Pavlovs - Kulda
Bicevskis, A. Sirokovs

Lumipanda

Oct 5, 2010
Finland
Do you think Merzlikins will officially become #1 goalie for Latvia here? While we've seen some amazing tournaments from Masalskis (generally just tons of saves against superb countries), I hear good whispers about Merzlikins.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Do you think Merzlikins will officially become #1 goalie for Latvia here? While we've seen some amazing tournaments from Masalskis (generally just tons of saves against superb countries), I hear good whispers about Merzlikins.

It's more than doubtful that Beresnevs will give #1 spot to a player arriving at his debut WC. Masalskis has had his ups and downs during the recent years (in his pro career rather than NT), but has a solid season behind his back in KHL. Masalskis is a lower risk approach.

I'd be more than happy to see Merzlikins given a chance at the WC, though. Knowing that Merzlikins is on the bench, I doubt Beresnevs will wait long to replace Masalskis in case he has a bad game. Merzlikins might even earn a starter or two. Can he earn the #1 spot coming out of this WC? Perhaps, but then Masalskis ought to have a disastrous WC or retire. (Let's not forget there's Gudlevskis as well)

If we look back at 2013 and 2014, Gudlevskis managed to play more games than Masalskis both years. It was under Ted Nolan, though, who had a way less conservative approach to coaching than Beresnevs.

Masalskis has been a stable #1 since 2006. Merzlikins is only the second goalie after Gudlevskis ('13 and '14) that has a real shot at challenging this status quo. Inevitably Gudlevskis and Merzlikins will replace Masalskis, but I doubt that Latvians will look at Merzlikins as the #1 goalie for the final Olympic qualifier or 2017 WC.

Last edited:

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
It's more than doubtful that Beresnevs will give #1 spot to a player arriving at his debut WC. Masalskis has had his ups and downs during the recent years (in his pro career rather than NT), but has a solid season behind his back in KHL. Masalskis is a lower risk approach.

I'd be more than happy to see Merzlikins given a chance at the WC, though. Knowing that Merzlikins is on the bench, I doubt Beresnevs will wait long to replace Masalskis in case he has a bad game. Merzlikins might even earn a starter or two. Can he earn the #1 spot coming out of this WC? Perhaps, but then Masalskis ought to have a disastrous WC or retire. (Let's not forget there's Gudlevskis as well)

If we look back at 2013 and 2014, Gudlevskis managed to play more games than Masalskis both years. It was under Ted Nolan, though, who had a way less conservative approach to coaching than Beresnevs.

Masalskis has been a stable #1 since 2006. Merzlikins is only the second goalie after Gudlevskis ('13 and '14) that has a real shot at challenging this status quo. Inevitably Gudlevskis and Merzlikins will replace Masalskis, but I doubt that Latvians will look at Merzlikins as the #1 goalie for the final Olympic qualifier or 2017 WC.

I agree that Masalskis is a low risk approach, but, truth to be told, I have not been convinced by his latest showings. Looking at the roster, it is clear that this is not the year when we can fight for high spots, so I'd be more than happy to see Merzlikins get a considerable ice time. Still, even if he doesn't, it is nice that there seems to be a solid replacement (him and Gudi) when Masalskis retires.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Media are reporting from Moscow that our third line will include Indrasis, which makes Top 9 quite clear for Team Latvia.

So this is a realistic line-up for tomorrow:

Masalskis
Merzlikins

Sotnieks - Jerofejevs
Cibulskis - Freibergs
Galvins - Siksna
M.Sirokovs

Kulda - Bicevskis - Abols

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Media are reporting from Moscow that our third line will include Indrasis, which makes Top 9 quite clear for Team Latvia.

Masalskis
Merzlikins

Sotnieks - Jerofejevs
Cibulskis - Freibergs
Galvins - Siksna
M.Sirokovs

Namejs is alive! That makes me so happy lol, saw him on the Buffalo Boards, if you're reading this you're missed haha

And it's so sad why Indrasis constantly gets third lined and then he's supposed to put up more points and can't and then is labeled as not a good international competition player and then the vicious cycle. Also Freibergs over Galvins is...interesting...

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I just hope to God, that Bukarts great year in Czech league finally allows him to break out on the international stage and put some points on the board. He's been a real letdown since his debut WC and if he isn't scoring he's totally useless.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

Masalskis
Merzlikins

Sotnieks - Jerofejevs
Cibulskis - Freibergs
Galvins - Siksna
M.Sirokovs

Watch out Sweden! that line up actually looks good
compared to Team Sweden line up :popcorn: .

You guys have more than a fair share for victory vs Swedes.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So is Bukarts and probably M. Redlihs. Can you assemble our roster any better?

I would say that Miķelis can work both as top-6 and a bottom -6 player so they could just trade places, placing Miķelis on the 3d thus adding depth to the third line.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Im happy for Elvis having the chance to prove himself but am i the only one who gets the feeling that Beresņevs is just throwing him under the bus starting him against sweden?

GX

Dec 28, 2011
I guess under Beresņevs that's just something you have to deal with, you get what you get. Just like Masaļskis was thrown out in opener against Czech Republic back in 2005 (or was it 2004?).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad