WC: 2016 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
I think from that group next players have change to worlds: Salmela, T.Sallinen, J.Sallinen, Metsola, Saarela, Ohtamaa and Kivistö. I predict 3 to 5 of them are on worlds.

Edit: Of course Eero Elo must add to that list!

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Except Ristolainen has already said he wants to play. It was also mentioned in this very thread, a few days ago. So wherever your eyes are once again, pull em' up, kiddo.

Also, forward department has many young names likely available and willing to go. Markus Granlund has already said that yes, he wants to play. Armia, Pulkkinen and Rantanen are likely to be available as well, and none of 'em have said "no" either.

But go ahead and keep trusting your gut... because it's pretty much a rule by now: You predict something, the exact opposite will happen.

Wait a moment... you're doing this on purpose, aren't you? :laugh:

you're onto me

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ohtamaa must be pretty much a lock. Crazy he is not in the N.
This must be some kind of snark or something, since Ohtamaa is pretty much a perfectly mediocre d-man by all counts. Not bad, but not particularly good either... just perfectly "meh". (So, sorry for not getting the joke.)

I'd say our ideal D at this stage would look like this:

Lepistö - Hietanen
Salmela - Ristolainen
Kukkonen - Jaakola
X - Jokipakka

I'm keeping one spot open, since there are plenty of interchangeable options: Ohtamaa, Kivistö, Jalasvaara, Mäntylä, Järvinen, Melart and who else. Maybe even some younger upstart like Nutivaara. There's really no clear frontrunner ATM to complete the set. All names that work to some degree as filler, but don't really make a man to jump up and down in glee.

you're onto me
In that case... keep at it. ;)

Last edited:

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
I'm keeping one spot open, since there are plenty of interchangeable options: Ohtamaa, Kivistö, Jalasvaara, Mäntylä, Järvinen, Melart and who else. Maybe even some younger upstart like Nutivaara.

I hope that Nutivaara is not out for long. He injured today.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I hope that Nutivaara is not out for long. He injured today.
The most recent rumor says his season's done. Nothing confirmed yet though.

Speaking of D candidates, one name I hope Jalonen has not forgotten is Ilkka Heikkinen. Not exactly an up-and-coming player anymore and probably no rainmaker either, but he's had a very good season in Sweden. It's actually kind of strange how little he's had NT callups over his career.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016

Speaking of D candidates, one name I hope Jalonen has not forgotten is Ilkka Heikkinen. Not exactly an up-and-coming player anymore and probably no rainmaker either, but he's had a very good season in Sweden. It's actually kind of strange how little he's had NT callups over his career.

Yeah unfortunately its confirmed that Nutivaaras season is over, thats sad. It would had been nice saw if he could be this seasons Lindell. I agree about Heikkinen with you. Toni Rajala, in this momemt are also about similar case, but maybe Marjamäki and future coaches call him often than Jalonens' and Westerlund.

Last edited:

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014

Why would he play the WC now when he didnt get a chance when he was at his best (season 11/12)?

Yeah his stats looks good but he hasnt exactly impressed on the ice this season.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Why would he play the WC now when he didnt get a chance when he was at his best (season 11/12)?

Yeah his stats looks good but he hasnt exactly impressed on the ice this season.
Different coach, different times.

And I'm not advocating him for the final team, at least yet, simply hoping he would get a camp invite. We still have open slots and it would be interesting to see how he fares when compared to the rest of our filler d-men.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Jormakka are in on wc-camp group and better Tyrväinen is out due injury.
Namely, Juhani Tyrväinen, not Antti.

Nice to see Jormakka is healthy enough to contend. While the centre situation is still suspect, we seem to have a particularly good selection of wingers available this year.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
is Laine a serious contender for the tournament now? hes been insane in his semifinal games I wonder how many Liiga players there are that are still ahead of him?

he's got that big game factor and ability to score the important goals and scoring is something Finland had a huge problem with last year

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
is Laine a serious contender for the tournament now? hes been insane in his semifinal games I wonder how many Liiga players there are that are still ahead of him?

he's got that big game factor and ability to score the important goals and scoring is something Finland had a huge problem with last year
If the roster is like below, I don't see room for him:
Granlund-Koivu-Haula
Korpikoski-Kemppainen-Pulkkinen
Aho-MaGranlund-Armia
Pakarinen-Kontiola-Komarov

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Fantasy rosters aside, his stock seems to be rising, that's for sure. But will the rise be steep enough?

The thing is, we don't seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel with wingers who can play in top-six. From overseas, potential additions are Korpikoski, Armia and Rantanen who will be available (and hopefully willing too). Perhaps Pulkkinen as well.

Europe's hopefuls include Aho, Elo, Kuusela, Jormakka. Kiiskinen from SHL, maybe others. I'm not saying all of the names mentioned here are no-brainers to overtake him, but there sure is competition.

One additional thing is, if Tappara loses the ongoing series, the U18 team surely has Laine in their sights too. The time windows between the tournaments don't overlap, so he has a chance to play in both, but would that still be deemed too much hockey for him in too little time? Especially with the travel an' all. (Not that there'd be significantly more than there'd be in, say, a final series that goes to game 7.)

So... we'll see.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
If the roster is like below, I don't see room for him:
Granlund-Koivu-Haula
Korpikoski-Kemppainen-Pulkkinen
Aho-MaGranlund-Armia

Armia won't come http://www.mtv.fi/sport/jaakiekko/l...no-uutinen-armia-ei-lahde-mm-kisoihin/5827722

Ojamäki is instead on wc-group on first week:
http://www.radiopori.fi/uutiset/jaakiekko/niko-ojamaki-leijoniin

And on next week at least Koskiranta and Koskinen will join to group
http://www.suomikiekko.com/2016/04/pietarin-skan-kaksikko-valittiin-leijoniin/

Articles are in Finnish

Kemppainen has been injured over two weeks now. I have no information what is recovery prediction.

And there is also might that Osala will play on KHL-finals yet according to poster on jatkoaika. Earlier it was said that his season is over.

But me neither don't see room for Laine now.

From NHL/AHL next players will dropp wrom playoffs

Goalies
Rask? - Boston have change to go first round, and also i don't think Rask will come
Ortio
Bäckström

Def
Ristolainen
Jokipakka

Wingers
Pakarinen -Has said that will come to play thought contractless and if invited
Korpikoski*
Rantanen*
Ruutu* -i think will be out of speculations
Pulkkinen?- Detroit have change to go first round
Keränen*-i think will be out of speculations

Centers
MaGranlund* - Has said that will come to play thought contractless and if invited
Kemppainen -Has been injured over two weeks

* means that player could play center or wing

In this moment playoff-pairs would be follows:
Dallas(Lehtonen,Niemi,Lindell,Honka)/Minnesota(Koivu, Haula, Granlund)
St.Louis(Lehterä,Lindbohm)/Chigaco(Teräväinen)
Anaheim(Vatanen)/Nashville(Salomäki,Rinne)
LA Kings/San Jose(Donskoi)

Washington/Philadelphia
Pittsburg(Määttä)/Rangers
Florida(Jokinen,Barkov)/Islanders(Gibson)
Tampa(Filppula)/Detroit(Pulkkinen)

AHL teams which have finnish players situation
Next have clinched playoff positions:
EC
P1 Toronto (Kapanen, Kaskisuo)
WC
P2 Milwaukee (Näkyvä, Saros)
P4 Lake Erie (Hännikäinen,Korpisalo)

Next are on top 8 conference positions:
EC
P5 Providence(Kemppainen)
P7 Bridgeport (Gibson)
WC
P5 Rockford (Pokka)
P6 San Diego (Kossila)
P7 Texas (Lindell, Honka)
P8 Charlotte (Rissanen, Tirronen)

Next have change to playoffs:
Bakersfield(Laurikainen)

Next have no change to playoffs:
Binghamton (Keränen)
Chigaco (Lindbohm)
San Antonio(Rantanen)

Contractless players: watch first post

And from Europe there are players like(including those who are still playing):
Goalies
Koskinen
Säteri
Metsola
Rynnäs
Husso
Kähkönen

Defenders:
Lepistö
Jaakola
Salmela
Ohtamaa
Hietanen
Kivistö
Eronen
Mäenpää
V.Lajunen
Jalasvaara -i think he is out
Jalvanti - i think he is out

Wingers
Hartikainen*
Jormakka
Elo
Aaltonen
J.Pesonen
J.Sallinen*
Joensuu
Lehkonen
Kuusela
Aho*
Kiiskinen
Louhivaara
Laine
Puljujärvi
Salminen - i think he is out
Osala? -will he recover?

Centers
Koskiranta
T.Sallinen*
J.Lajunen
Saarela*
J.Nättinen
Lindgren
Filppula*
Kontiola? -will he recover?

European players who are out due injury or refusal: watch first post

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Well, that's a bummer. The funny thing is, you can never tell with RFAs. MaG is in the same situation, yet he said ages ago he'll go if invited. Same with Pakarinen.

Armia dropping out does not affect Laine's chances much though. Still plenty of other options for those top-six slots. I forgot Aaltonen from my earlier list. Even Rantanen and Pulkkinen dropping out too would not make Laine a surefire addition.

Jalvanti - i think he is out
Umm... he's on the camp roster as we speak.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
If Armia and Pulkkinen won't come:
Granlund-Koivu-Haula
Korpikoski-MaGranlund-Hartikainen
Laine-Aho-Puljujärvi

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Granlund-Koivu-Haula
I think you're being too hasty to write the entire Minny trio in.

And even if they do come, I kinda doubt they'd stuff 'em all in one line given the centre selection otherwise.

Not to mention I could bet my bottom dollar we won't see the PuLa-Aho line in its wholesome. But then again, fantasy rosters...

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I think you're being too hasty to write the entire Minny trio in.

And even if they do come, I kinda doubt they'd stuff 'em all in one line given the centre selection otherwise.

Not to mention I could bet my bottom dollar we won't see the PuLa-Aho line in its wholesome. But then again, fantasy rosters...
Would this be better:
Granlund-Koivu-Komarov
Korpikoski-Haula-Hartikainen
Pakarinen-MaG/Kontiola/Koskiranta-Kuusela
Laine-Aho-Puljujärvi

PuLa-Aho line should be considered in its wholesome given the centre situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad