2016 Tank Thread - Babcock Conducting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
You guys realize that finishing last doesn't guarantee the first pic right?
Edmonton could finish 26th and get Matthews too.

Everyone knows that. It doesn't mean we still don't want to finish as low as possible.

and I have a feeling the use of Edmonton as an example of how tanking doesn't work will start to decline soon with McDavid back

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
Everyone knows that. It doesn't mean we still don't want to finish as low as possible.

and I have a feeling the use of Edmonton as an example of how tanking doesn't work will start to decline soon with McDavid back

It shouldn't. The Edmonton model relied so heavily on a combination of luck and incompetence that anyone trying to use it as a guide is likely headed down the wrong road.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did anyone else hate what Craig Button said tonight on the panel. When it was brought up how the Leafs could really use Auston Matthews, Button went onto to say how the Leafs have not had a #1 Centre since Mats Sundin (which we all know by now) and went onto to mention how last year they missed out on McDavid, Eichel and Strome. What he forgot is that they only had a chance at McDavid had they won the draft lottery, they had no chance at Eichel and wasn't it mentioned they might have passed on Strome because of his skating? Either way I was actually pissed at Button's comments because he seemed to forget they did get Mitch Marner who could have went 1st overall if McDavid and Eichel were not in last years draft.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You guys realize that finishing last doesn't guarantee the first pic right?
Edmonton could finish 26th and get Matthews too.

The percentages are much different though. I'd much rather have a 20% chance than a 13.5% chance, obviously. It also means you pick earlier after the first round. Winning the lottery can change a team for the next decade. Getting bumped out of the bottom 3 this year would be awful.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Obviously I'd rather win the lotto too but the way the league change the draft lotto rules makes the dif between 29-30 much tougher imo
Maybe I read it wrong.

Leafsbeast*

It shouldn't. The Edmonton model relied so heavily on a combination of luck and incompetence that anyone trying to use it as a guide is likely headed down the wrong road.

I would gladly swap Edmontons entire team including prospect pool for the Leafs AINEC.

But the stipulation would be we keep Babs.

Babs would have that team to Franchise status in one season with all that firepower. Lou would move RNH for a top pairing D man. He would likely move Yak for a top 4 D also.

Because the team has been mismanaged and mis-coached, does not mean it is not filled with star players.

McDavid
Draisitl
Hall
Eberle
RNH
Yak (Babs would turn this guy right around)

Klefbom
Reinhart
Nurse

YES PLEASE!!

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I would gladly swap Edmontons entire team including prospect pool for the Leafs AINEC.

But the stipulation would be we keep Babs.

Babs would have that team to Franchise status in one season with all that firepower. Lou would move RNH for a top pairing D man. He would likely move Yak for a top 4 D also.

Because the team has been mismanaged and mis-coached, does not mean it is not filled with star players.

the reason the team is filled with star/potential star players is because it has been so mismanaged and so poorly coached and so on

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Have to look at the bright side.

Parenteau showed other teams he can still score meaningful goals.
Kadri is looking like a keeper
Team is playing well again, increase trade value on certain players
Still low in the standings.
Helped to garner the Pittsburgh pick a bit.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Leafs still have 19 home games left compared to 14 on the road and with their games in hand on everybody the Tank could be in trouble.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland

all this plus i think they'll nail their pick even if it's at 4-8

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
With Babcock behind the bench and the compete level cranked to 120% effort level nothing is guaranteed despite the lack of offensive talent on the team.

We need to lower the level of offensive talent soon lol.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We need to lower the level of offensive talent soon lol.

It's already at AHL level.

Leafs had lost 9 of 10 games prior to last night and scored a total of 11 goals in those past 10 games total while being shutout on 3 occasions.

Its pretty hard to lower your offense to less than 1 GPG and still qualify as an NHL team. ;)

PS. With JVR return post TD and perhaps Nylander and a few other Marlies we should see the offensive talent increase down the stretch.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's already at AHL level.

Leafs had lost 9 of 10 games prior to last night and scored a total of 11 goals in those past 10 games total while being shutout on 3 occasions.

Its pretty hard to lower your offense to less than 1 GPG and still qualify as an NHL team. ;)

Polak, PAP, Grabner going out the door could help. Reimer going definitely helps (our GA should go up).

If anyone of the guys with term goes, even better.

hockey dude

Aug 26, 2011

Parenteau shows nothing. A 3 on 3 goal is meaningless come playoff time. Absolutely the worst possible pick up for any team come playoff time. Floats and is weak on puck 5 on 5. Seriously surprised if he gets moved.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Parenteau shows nothing. A 3 on 3 goal is meaningless come playoff time. Absolutely the worst possible pick up for any team come playoff time. Floats and is weak on puck 5 on 5. Seriously surprised if he gets moved.

PAP is a 15+ goal guy I'd say if he gets top 9 minutes. He's pretty much a depth acquisition. You don't want the offense to run dry in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad