2016 Tank & Rebuild Thread: 5 pts Between Us & EDM...But CGY boy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
Obviously if they have value and don't fit in the plans they will be moved for other assets. Do we need to spell out every little thing so you can stop trying so desperately to be clever ?

I was going to reply but your ignorant response isn't worth continuing with this conversation. I was simply stating facts, but apparently I'm desperately trying to be cleaver.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Couple of 2nd round goalies available this year and a probable first rounder next year. Picks after 15 are fine, I just hope we don't trade a high pick for a Schneider type. NJ could have kept Horvat and been a lottery team the past 2 drafts if that trade never happened. Horvat Strome and Laine would have been enough to fix their forward group going forward.

If you get the chance to get a Schneider type goalie, you do it. Lou knows very well the worth of a franchise goalie. Schneider has been the biggest factor in New Jerseys success. Who cares if they haven't been a lottery team? They have a top 5 goalie, arguably top 3, something we won't have for a while unless we trade for one.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The reason why I would not suggest Marner on the top line was only to actually have him continue to develop and not go head to head against the best lines on the other teams every night. Its hard to achieve anything when you are thrown into a new league against the hardest competition right away. As long as you are reasonable about him and his abilities I don't have any problem with him on the line up.

Hunwick on most teams is a 7th D. Its simple as that. Whos going to trade for a 7th D at $1.2M when you can grab someone from the AHL who makes half? Plus there would be an asset going the other way. I don't see him being traded (If he does it will be at the deadline next year) The only option would be to send him to the Marlies.

Bozak again we wont know what will happen but, if we draft Matthews or sign Stamkos I agree, I would be packaging him with something for a Top-4 D

Do or Die time for these young D-men is getting close but would you rather sign a few of them and hope they continue to grow or do you want to sign some Komisarek types again?
Id rather stick with a few young guys until we have something better to push them out of their spot.

I would like to see Percy get a shot and it would not be the end of the world if we had a bunch of young guys on the blue line. I suspect Hunwick, Rielly and Gardiner are going to be the old guys/vets. I am hoping Zaitsev is in the mix and after that I want them to go with who they think deserves it. Those who don't we risk losing on waivers but if they aren't good enough to make our team it would be surprising if another team took them. I would prefer we avoided free agent D in general but if they do sign one it will be someone who makes sense I am sure.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
If you get the chance to get a Schneider type goalie, you do it. Lou knows very well the worth of a franchise goalie. Schneider has been the biggest factor in New Jerseys success. Who cares if they haven't been a lottery team? They have a top 5 goalie, arguably top 3, something we won't have for a while unless we trade for one.

I'm not saying don't get a goalie, just don't spend significant assets on one this early in s rebuild. Getting Schneider has set back NJ's forward rebuild so much that he'll be in his mid-30s before they're legitimately competitive.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
I'm not saying don't get a goalie, just don't spend significant assets on one this early in s rebuild. Getting Schneider has set back NJ's forward rebuild so much that he'll be in his mid-30s before they're legitimately competitive.

Not trying to rebuild is what set back NJ's rebuild.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
When you draft a goalie, you're looking at 5 years before you get some benefit in the NHL and that is if you're lucky.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Yep.

You can just buy a goalie once the other pieces have been set in place. That's what the a bolts did with Bishop.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Obviously if they have value and don't fit in the plans they will be moved for other assets. Do we need to spell out every little thing so you can stop trying so desperately to be clever ?

:laugh: right? like that was the very first thing I said. the Leafs have an insane amount of RFAs they have to qualify and a good chunk of them are going to be waiver fodder. I don't think management is stupid and isn't aware of this situation, which is why I would gather that they are going to assess what needs to stay and go and move accordingly.

you don't QUALIFY everyone. you can't. (simply due to contract and cap space).
and those who are qualified - I think the Leafs will have to take the chance of losing them on waivers. (the trick is to figure out which ones can hide - ie -a Carrick vs. who can't - ie - a Leivo (who will imo make the team, if he's with the organization). )

i understand that it's simply stating what we've got in the system - I just don't think that every piece in the system is going to remain there - for the main fact that the Leafs aren't going to have a team full of rookies, first of, and they'll probably do what they did to get Grabner (but this time get a better person).

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I don't know why but I prefer the white jerseys at home

Wrong thread

Last edited:

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Trading a top pick for a 27 year old goalie is about as anti-rebuild as it gets. They would have been favorites for McDavid without Schneider, instead they got Zacha.

Not a fan of this line of thinking, you can't just not make good moves because the possibility of a lottery win exists. Top picks might be worth a lot, but the 7-15 range is really over rater on these boards.

If they had Schnied's valued as an elite #1 goalie for the next 5-7 years, I see no problem trading a 9th pick for a player like that, even if it hurt there odds at Mcdavid. Too many people are getting carried away with the idea of a scorched earth rebuild, you need a mix of good drafting/developing/acquisitions, not just to bottom out for years.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Pretty good tank nights, outside of Calgary getting blown out by Buffalo.

Calgary and Edmonton are the real threats to the Leafs finishing last that's for sure.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Lou: “We have a lot of work to do here. We may take a half-step backwards (next season) to take a full step forward. Sometimes that’s a necessary part of the process. We’re looking at every possibility. This isn’t easy to go through. None of us like losing. You just have to stick to the plan and keep going.”

Expect a top five pick again next season.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Lets not forget Pitts win and Philly lose as well..... Pitts gaining a huge 2 points.

Calgary is starting to scare me.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Expect a top five pick again next season.
Not sure if it's a guarantee, but rather acknowledging that things might not naturally go forward.

I honestly have my doubts about another top 5 pick although it wouldn't hurt anything. Think with the work ethic and more skill (even if it's rookies) added to the mix....they are just going to lose less.

More like 7-10 finish than 1-5. Though just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad