Speculation: 2016 Salary Arbitration Tracker (players and dates in OP)

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
As if someone is going to trade for the guy without even knowing what the arbitration award is going to be. Avs should just re sign the guy.

Hell give him 8 years . Keep him. Please. :nod:

Well the team that trades for him could just sign him immediately so they don't have to go to arbitration.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
LOL because a few days before UFA market is a big difference. Krug's 5.25 is a decent comparable, I think Barrie gets about that much.

Not if he makes it to the hearing.

His mirror image in terms of development is Nick Leddy and Barrie buried his point totals during their bridge contracts.

Mad Brills*

Hoffman's the case I think could be the most interesting.

UFA next summer

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
LOL because a few days before UFA market is a big difference. Krug's 5.25 is a decent comparable, I think Barrie gets about that much.

Huge difference actually. Those players were signed with one team having exclusive negotiating rights, not 30 teams bidding for a contract and offering money/term.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers should have sent an offersheet to Barrie when they had the chance, unless they did and Barrie wouldn't sign.

Why would the Oilers make it easy for COL?
Let the Avs GM run Barrie down during the hearing and let a verdict come..
The trade can be made once an amount is awarded.

Barrie isnt worth 7m per to Oilers and that is what it would have taken to get him via offersheet..

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Not if he makes it to the hearing.

His mirror image in terms of development is Nick Leddy and Barrie buried his point totals during their bridge contracts.

Of 23 filings last year, how many hearings were there? One.

I think the odds are on Barrie signing with the Avs prior to a hearing. Even ROR, another Newport client, didn't make it to a hearing before signing.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Cant trade him until the arbitration hearing is over. So after he gets his value the avs can decide to give him his money or trade him.

The CBA does not say that. They can trade the player prior to his arbitration hearing.

I think the issue is he can't be traded between the hearing and decision. I can't find that said in the CBA.

If the player elects arbitration, they can't be offer sheeted.

I googled something and got this

If a player elects arbitration, the club may actually choose to walk away from the award and make the player an unrestricted free agent under certain circumstances. For one, the arbitration award has to be $3.5M per year or more. As with every other number like this, the $3.5M figure will index annually at the same percentage as the League Average Salary changes.

Maybe because Beck's arbitration wasnt above 3.5m?

The 3.5M was in 13/24. As the avg league salary gone up, do has this number. I don't know what it is currently. It's likely over $4M now.

Nashville traded Beck before a hearing occurred.

The same article i was reading stated the same thing Dater and Dreger stated

"Teams and players are not bound to enter into arbitration. If the team and player agree to any legal NHL deal before the arbitration starts, then the signing of the SPC which follows voids the need to go through arbitration. Teams may not trade players who are pending an arbitration hearing."

This is not from the CBA. I did a word search on the document. Nowhere does it say not trading pending an arbitration hearing.

The issue of not trading players likely comes into play during the hearing and decision and the arbitrators decision and the teams deciding to accept or not ( if amount is above the league minimum)

Also...if a team has 2 arbitration hearings they have a second buyout window.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Jordan Weal played 14 NHL games last season and scored 0 points.

I have no idea what his agent plans to present at his arbitration hearing.
You know you can negotiate AHL salaries too, right? He's been an awesome AHL player the last few years and probably wants more money if he's sent down.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
You know you can negotiate AHL salaries too, right? He's been an awesome AHL player the last few years and probably wants more money if he's sent down.

IMHO players like this who file for arbitration are the guys looking for that 350K AHL or a 1way contract to make NHL money (even if it's sub 1m) in the AHL.
When you consider the AHL league minimum is around $67,500 that 1way contract is worth fighting for

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
no it isnt, as of right now barrie cannot be traded until he has a contract. its actually simple.

like av fans have been saying all along, sakic wants barrie to stay. now he is staying. at worst they will sign him and trade whatever the arbitrator awards. players like barrie dont get walked away from.

What's simple is not getting CBA rules from Adrian ****ing Dater.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I really don't see 6.5 when Yandle and Goligoski didn't get that as UFA's. I think 4 is probably what he gets.

Yandle and Goligoski were UFA's, hence irrelevant. Only players that signed RFA contracts can be used as comparables in salary arbitration.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
so the leafs might have another buyout window to buyout cowen if two of marincin, holland or corrado go to arb

Does not require two players to go to arbitration. Does not even require one player to go through an actual arbitration hearing.

The Leafs and all of the teams listed in the OP will have the additional buyout window after their last arbitration case is settled. Doesn't matter whether that settlement is a new contract or arbitration award.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
His comparables are guys like OEL, Hamilton, Leddy, Josi, Klingberg, etc. If he gets over $6m, I'd be surprised.

these are guys that skipped the bridge deal. Barrie had his bridge deal and proved himself, just like Subban did. What was their production at the time of signing? Imo Barrie gets over 6 easy, if not over 7. He was 2nd in minutes on the Avs and put up a ton of points the last couple years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I really don't see 6.5 when Yandle and Goligoski didn't get that as UFA's. I think 4 is probably what he gets.

no, Yandle is getting 7.5. That's his salary in the short term. It's just brought down by the later years. There's no later years on an arbitration deal. Barrie outproduced Yandle by a big amount. He's worth more than Yandle for sure.

Goligoski is not close to comparable. (edit: "not close" is a bit too strong, but still he's a tier below)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Thats even IF Cowen is deemed eligible to be bought out

true, he could still be hurt during that window in August. But it's possible that they rule in Cowen's favour that he was still hurt during the buyout window in June and hurt in a manner that prevents his buyout(so for example something other than he just went and got surgery to get his money), but is now recovered and healthy enough to be bought out during the 2nd window.

Honestly I don't like his chances of winning his grievance. Getting a surgery done without the teams knowledge when you were deemed healthy to play back when he was traded doesn't sound like something that would hold up but who knows. If it does I'm glad we've opened the 2nd window just in case it does and he's healthy in August.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
no it isnt, as of right now barrie cannot be traded until he has a contract. its actually simple.

like av fans have been saying all along, sakic wants barrie to stay. now he is staying. at worst they will sign him and trade whatever the arbitrator awards. players like barrie dont get walked away from.

Whoops.

You seem quiet in this topic lately. :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad