[/table]

Added Cam Morrison

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'll probably lose the fight this round but I do think Meloche is the most talented of who is on the list. Compher accomplished a lot and is obviously closer to contributing but I feel like when Meloche does it will make a bigger impact. So that's why he has my vote, its not an easy choice however.

I'd like to add Nantel next. He's come a long way in his two years and I think will be a good pro. I was really happy to see that progress in camp last week. Mironov is a tough one for me because I have no doubt he would be an NHL contributing player for us but I just can't ignore the contract situation in these evaluations. Other players' limitations or possible restrictions are a factor as well and while his is unique its still something that has an impact.

One question from the previous thread, are we considering Morrison a center now and at the next level? Is he going to stay there at Notre Dame?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say Meloche has more of a chance of being 'just' a #4D than Compher does of being 'just' a 3rd liner. Meloche has more upside, but a lower floor.... both are safe prospects though. Pretty much splitting hairs.

I think Morrison projects to the NHL as a winger. His skating, at this point anyway, isn't going to be good enough to make enough of an impact at center compared to him at the wing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Meloche comfortably for me. Where I see AJG, JTC, JCB & Morrison as quality top 9 guys if they make it; Loche I see as a top 4 guy on D who could be the perfect partner for Zads on our top pairing.

Add Clurman, then Nantel.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I go with instinct in these cause I have no idea really :laugh:
Went for Compher here now.

Add Nantel.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
For me it's JTC because he's less of a raw prospect then Meloche. If Compher's ceiling was a 4th line 10-7min player then I'd take Meloche over him. Right now though it's looking like Compher can be a productive 3rd liner and is close to reaching that potential. In terms of impact on the team the odds are in Compher's favour right now.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I say Meloche here but with JTC being closer to the show I can see the argument there. I just think his impact at the NHL level will be smaller than Meloche's (though JTC probably plays a 3rd C-2nd line winger tweener role) but I think both will do great things at the NHL level.

I'm interested to see the Morrison vs Greer debate. I am back and forth on that one myself (my edge goes to Morrison).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I say Meloche here but with JTC being closer to the show I can see the argument there. I just think his impact at the NHL level will be smaller than Meloche's (though JTC probably plays a 3rd C-2nd line winger tweener role) but I think both will do great things at the NHL level.

I'm interested to see the Morrison vs Greer debate. I am back and forth on that one myself (my edge goes to Morrison).

I haven't seen much of Morrison outside of the u18 so it's a little tough but I think the closer to the show argument works for Greer in his favor here.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I haven't seen much of Morrison outside of the u18 so it's a little tough but I think the closer to the show argument works for Greer in his favor here.

I'm with TV here. Greer is closer and had an excellent finish to his Draft+1 year. Morrison will need a consistently good draft+1 year to get into the conversation of Greer vs. Morrison.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Went with Meloche because of his upside but really I'm good with any of Meloche/Compher/Greer. To me they are all very close.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm with TV here. Greer is closer and had an excellent finish to his Draft+1 year. Morrison will need a consistently good draft+1 year to get into the conversation of Greer vs. Morrison.

On the flip side, Morrison had a much better draft year.

Morrison very likely won't have a great freshman year at Notre Dame. Jackson has a very structured, safe defensive system and freshmen almost never put up really big numbers there (Lee/Tynan are the last two I remember really earning that shot right away). Morrison will start on the 3rd line and probably be a 2nd liner by the end of the season. Maybe hit 10-15g 10-15a over 35 games.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Very close, but I'm going with Compher. Meloche has a higher ceiling but is further from reaching it. Also, Compher looked so good at development camp, it's hard to imagine he's not NHL ready next year. I anticipate he'll be on the third line by Christmas.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Went with Meloche although I have to admit my knowledge on him is largely based on what you all have said about him I haven't seen him play very much and I can't find many videos of him besides his fights

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Interesting reading the thread and then looking at the poll. You'd think Meloche would be ahead.

You guys voting Compher don't feel like arguing your point lol?

As others have said, Meloche may be further out, but I think his top end is much higher, and low end much safer like Hench said.

I kind of figured Meloche would go a little lower in these polls, as I don't think he has the hype around him Compher does.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Compher- very high IQ all over the ice, elite vision and passing, great defender, very active stick, excels on both PK and PP, can play all 3 forward positions, great intangibles, quick and agile skater, tough for size, good along the boards, fiesty. If only he were 6'2". Skating and strength need to continue to improve to reach ceiling.
Ceiling- top6 "star" (think Duchene/Lando level)
Floor- AHL All star
Rough expectation- Utility tweener

Why below Jost? Jost is doing incredible things at a much younger age. Kid has superstar potential
Why above Meloche? Mainly, just closer to being ready, but also Compher's offense is more proven

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
As others have said, Meloche may be further out, but I think his top end is much higher, and low end much safer like Hench said.

I was actually saying Meloche's floor is lower than Compher's, but both are fairly safe.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Interesting reading the thread and then looking at the poll. You'd think Meloche would be ahead.

You guys voting Compher don't feel like arguing your point lol?

I kind of figured Meloche would go a little lower in these polls, as I don't think he has the hype around him Compher does.

Pretty much this lol.

I haven't seen much of Meloche myself but I question how much of his hype on these boards from some posters comes with a heavy Bias. I think he's a bit overrated as a prospect.

And on the flip side, it seems for some reason a lot of people really question the upside of Compher despite him having proven so much more then Meloche against harder competition.

I think its Compher really easily here. With his energy and drive that he plays the game with I cant see him being anything less then a high quality 3rd liner. And all it takes is a little bit of offensive development from him and he's a Brendan Gallagher type of Top 6 forward which I think is way higher then anything Meloche ever becomes. When you watch the way Compher plays you can just tell he's one of those kids that plays at 100% every night and he has the grit and determination to become a solid 3rd liner. But then you also catch him making plays regularly that make you notice him as a gifted offensive player as well. He thinks the game extremely well and reminds me a lot of ROR, only much more physically engaged at this stage in development. Brendan Gallgher is exactly the type of player I envision Compher becoming.

I dont even have Meloche in my Top 5. He's a nice prospect and would probably crack the Top 5 of a lot of other teams prospect pools, but he still has a lot of developing to do before he's even close to being an NHL dman, and because of that at this stage I would quite easily take Compher and Greer over him. Possibly even Spencer Martin.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What bias? Because we've seen Meloche play? He's the most talented defense prospect we have, that leads to over hype? He's pretty much the only guy we have that reasonably projects into a top 4 role. (I'm obviously considering that Bigras will graduate soon). He does everything, PP, PK, matches against the other team's top player, plays shut down D, is great positionally, is tough and a mean SOB, can move the puck, has a nice outlet pass and can chip in a few goals. Why wouldn't that be exciting? He's underrated if anything because nobody has seen him play. I understand people tend to like someone more if they are more familiar with them but I try very hard too see everyone and consider their games. I'm not picking the Q guys because I just like the Q.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad