GDT: 2016 Preseason Thread - Time for the real thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I realize he signed a 6 year deal, but he's 25 now. I don't know how much more "development" he has left in him at this point. I think he more or less is what he is, and IMO that's a fairly versatile plug-and-play guy who would fit as well on the 4th line as the 1st. Do I think he belongs on the 4th line? No, I just don't think his so-called development should have any bearing on where he plays.

I disagree. We saw a pretty significant leap in Jarnkrok's play and production when he was told what to work on and improve on. It's not unreasonable to think that he could work on his strength and shot -- two easy to improve aspects -- and improve further.

I'm bullish on Jarnkrok --- but I ideally see him as the perfect third liner who can play up as needed.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Outside of Forsberg, Fiala is the most talented offensive prospect we've ever had. While he might not be Forsberg, he is close to that level offensively, and in fact put up better numbers in the AHL.

If he's up for a full season, I'd espect numbers in the 40 point range, which is more than I expect for Jarnkrok.

Well, exempting Radulov, who I think is right up there with Forsberg

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I disagree. We saw a pretty significant leap in Jarnkrok's play and production when he was told what to work on and improve on. It's not unreasonable to think that he could work on his strength and shot -- two easy to improve aspects -- and improve further.

I'm bullish on Jarnkrok --- but I ideally see him as the perfect third liner who can play up as needed.
Totally agree. He is what you want in a 3rd liner. Can play center, wing, kill penalities, has good hands and playmaking skills, he's not elite, but he's a good hockey player overall.

Well, exempting Radulov, who I think is right up there with Forsberg
who?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Outside of Forsberg, Fiala is the most talented offensive prospect we've ever had. While he might not be Forsberg, he is close to that level offensively, and in fact put up better numbers in the AHL.

If he's up for a full season, I'd espect numbers in the 40 point range, which is more than I expect for Jarnkrok.

It's not a question of talent for me, I just don't see him being consistent enough to go a full season in that spot, he will learn it as the season goes on. He'll have stretches of playing down the lines and even scratched a few games to get a different perspective. As always, I hope i'm wrong, I hope that Fiala is a world beater and locks down the top line without question. Similarly if he's not ready and Jarnkrok is up there, I hope he goes lights out.

leafs nation

Jul 28, 2004
Will Fiala stay for the whole season or just for 9 games? I'm thinking of getting this kid on my roster for a fantasy hockey pool. What's your opinion guys?:help:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
It's not a question of talent for me, I just don't see him being consistent enough to go a full season in that spot, he will learn it as the season goes on. He'll have stretches of playing down the lines and even scratched a few games to get a different perspective. As always, I hope i'm wrong, I hope that Fiala is a world beater and locks down the top line without question. Similarly if he's not ready and Jarnkrok is up there, I hope he goes lights out.

It is interesting what you say, this is exacty how he played 2 yrs ago in Sweden. He really transformed a team happy not to be in the relegation round into a playoff 2nd round pretendent.

Yet he was scoring like 6 points in 3 games ... and then nothing for 5 games ... and again some 8 points in 3 game ... and nothing. Very volatile.

But time has passed ... who knows. We'll see.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
He's almost certainly the first forward called up in case of injury and unless he regresses or suffers a serious injury will make the roster next season with Ribs and Fishers' contracts expiring.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Sometimes Preds puzzle me. I understand Kamanev and Watson sent down. But what's with Aberg, Girard and Liambus being called up? They were just recently sent down. Somebody hurt? Maybe a trade in progress? Anyone got any ideas?

I'm sure that the swap was about getting the players some time in Milwaukee's training camp.

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
Does anyone really expect Rinne to rebound or even be average this season? I think we'll have a successful season and whatnot but ever since the injury and the loss of mitch korn his goaltending has been a dumpster fire and only trending downwards

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I listened to the radio broadcast. Tampa brought their starting lineup for the regular season and we left a bunch of starters at home. Tampa had more chemistry and could move the puck better on offense. On defense, we looked a little out of sync and made Pekka difficult saves all night long. His rebound control is worrying, but he's still trying to get to regular season form. It's just preseason let's wait to see how well we play on Friday night. :yo:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
It is still preseason... may I remind everyone that we got absolutely curb stomped by Columbus in our final two preseason games last year (5-2 and 7-1, Rinne with 7 goals against in that last one) and then came out and won something like 7 of our first 8 when the games actually counted (and for Viqsi's sake I wont mention what Cbus did after giving us those two beatings)

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
This team's only concern is Rinne. If he can get his act together this team has a serious chance of winning the Cup. The West isn't overly stacked this year (most of the teams just got worse) so this could be our year.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This team's only concern is Rinne. If he can get his act together this team has a serious chance of winning the Cup. The West isn't overly stacked this year (most of the teams just got worse) so this could be our year.

I can definitely see a Pittsburgh Penguins scenario where Pekka helps get the Preds to the playoffs but the back-up is the guy who gets them to the Cup.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It is still preseason... may I remind everyone that we got absolutely curb stomped by Columbus in our final two preseason games last year (5-2 and 7-1, Rinne with 7 goals against in that last one) and then came out and won something like 7 of our first 8 when the games actually counted (and for Viqsi's sake I wont mention what Cbus did after giving us those two beatings)

Yep- 100% correct. I remember after those two beatdowns almost everyone was proclaiming the Jackets as a dark horse contender, and up and coming team. And most of us were worried to death about our team. And we all know how that turned out........

Pre-season games pretty much mean zilch.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad