2016 player grades

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Cammallieri: B - Only played half a season due to injury so I can't give more than a B. Finished the teams 4th leading scorer. Injuries are unfortunately still going to be a concern.

Zajac: B - Nice bounce back season after a horrible 2014-15. Still excellent defensively. As the talent around him gets better, I think it will help Zajac just to concentrate on playing a shut down game. It suits him better than a scoring role.

Henrique: B+ - Hit the 30 goal mark and showed excellent leadership during the year, stepping up in Elias'absence. He played all situations PK, PP and top line. With a full season of Cammy and a better right winger (no knock on Stempniak who was great) he can become a legit no. 1 NHL center albeit a low end one of around 60-65 points.

Palmieri: A - Offseason trade acquisition that came off in spades. Great on the PP. Ran one of the points and his shot was superb, dare I say it, Kovalchuk lite. A big reason why we had a top 10 PP. Got his just rewards in hitting the 30 goal mark in the last game of the season. As impressive offensively as he was (he finished the team leader in points and equal leader in goals), I thought defensively he was very solid and responded well to playing against opposition top lines, which is expected of you when your a linemate of Zajac. Hopefully he can continue on and build on a great start to his New Jersey career.

Boucher: C+ - Did well in his 2nd stint in NJ after his callup from Albany. He can't get complacent because we have a few younger guys looking to break through and take his roster spot. Blandisi pretty much did that out of training camp but eventually Boucher took Blandisi's top 6 role in the 2nd half of the season as Blandisi tired/cooled down after a hot start. I think we learnt from Boucher that it is a top 6 role or bust. He just couldn't find any chemistry with Josefson on the 3rd line and its only when he moved up to Zajac's line in where he started to show his talent.

Elias: D - Largely disappointing due to injury. Only played 16 games and I question if it is in the best interests of this team going forward to keep him for another season whereby his body is probably going to be unreliable again and it may halt the progress of a younger talent like Boucher or Blandisi. A true devils legend it was great to see him perform so well in the season finale. I personally think that game and the reactions from the crowd is a great send off for a stellar career.

Gionta: C - His teammates love him, you could consider a guy that you need to have to keep locker room morale high. For all those great personality traits he has, he does have flaws in which the team could be better suited in looking elsewhere. Very poor on the faceoff dot and non existent offensively. You can't question his hustle and coach Hynes likes him on the 2nd PK unit. Ray Shero has a tough decision whether to bring him back given he is in his 30s and the team is going down the youth path.

Kalinin: C+ - Good first season in North America. Tall and strong. Good defensively. He has the right attributes to be a checking / 4th line player. Versatile in that he can play both center and wing. A restricted free agent, he should get an offer from Shero no doubt to stay next season.

Kennedy: C - Solid 4th liner who does his role without minimal fuss. Unrestricted free agent. If he signs again for a veteran minimum, it would be an good depth move by Shero

Tootoo: D - The team's resident goon with an ugly team worst -26. I think he lost his job next year to a younger version of himself in Bobby Farnham. I wish Toots well for the future but he shouldn't be coming back. Shero must cut him loose.

Blandisi: C+ - The team's rookie of the year ahead of Kalinin. Excellent training camp who was unlucky to not make the team out of camp. Was excellent in the AHL prior to his NHL callup where he became a 10 game ppg revelation. He cooled down significantly after his hot start as he may of struggled with the pace of the game and a few undisciplined diving acts showed he lost some early confidence gained. He can motor on his skates but can be very unstable at times, falling over. Needs to work on in the offseason and could probably use more AHL time to refine his game, especially defensively whereby he was sub-standard. Has a very good future as an NHL pro ahead. Devils got lucky signing him. We got a free top prospect who vaulted himself to no. 2 on our prospects list behind Pavel Zacha.

Josefson: D - The questions about Josefson heading into this season were well and truly answered come the end of the season. If given ice time, could he play a top 6 role? What about if we give him PP time too? Well Hynes gave Josefson a shot at all of that and he was largely disappointing except on the PP (for slowing the play down mainly on the half boards) and in the shootout. His shootout skills alone will mean that he gets re-signed again but he probably should only be a 4th line center next season, taking Gionta's role at even strength and on the 2nd unit PK.

Smith-Pelly: B+ - Kudos to DSP. He took over Lee Stempniak's role on the top line and ran with it. I don't expect the scoring pace to continue next season but hopefully he should become a important cog at wing on the 3rd line, that can move up to top 6 when called upon. There a spot open on the PP to screen the goalie and he may fill that role too.

Stempniak: A - Team leading scorer until he was dealt at the trade deadline. He was a great signing by Shero who like Henrique, played in all situations. Good chemistry with Rico and Cammy. I wonder if Shero gives him a call to come back in the offseason. The chemistry with his teammates is there. And we know he can play any roles from line 1 to line 3. The only thing against him is the team direction of youth.

Farnham: C - 8 goals is not bad from a waiver wire pickup playing on the 4th line. I like his game. We need a player like him that isn't afraid to mix it up. I think he is a better version of Tootoo. Plus I think he knows is role after being an AHL lifer for most of his career. I don't think he would mind sitting in the press box for multiple games. To me he seems like a perfect 13th forward for next season.

Ruutu: F - LOL one point and it had to come in the last game of the season too. I can't believe Carolina gave him a $5m per season contract. We shall be so glad to rid of him. He is definitely done at New Jersey.

Tlusty: F - Just didn't work out. Signed for a veteran minimum, a low risk high reward signing in which we got no reward. I can't see him returning. I think he would rather play overseas.

O'Neill: F - Like Tlusty, O'Neill was a low risk, low cost acquisition that just didn't work out. It was worth a shot because he was a monster in the AHL last season. You are not going to know what he is in the NHL unless you play him. We gave him 20 games and got nothing. Even if he did look like he was hustling on the ice.

Matteau: F - Spent most of the year in the press box. A disaster first round pick by Lou that somehow Shero's rescued in getting a decent NHL player in return in DSP. Even if DSP completely flames out and is only a 4th liner going forward, that still better than what Matteau was doing. He is not an NHL player and even in the AHL was largely unimpressive.

Sislo: D - The only thing Sislo is good for is scoring in the AHL and substituting his name for Phil Collins songs:

There's this girl that's been on my mind
All the time, Su-Su-Sislo oh oh
Now she don't even know my name
But I think she likes me just the same
Su-Su-Sislo oh oh

Ah if she called me I'd be there
I'd come running anywhere
She's all I need, all my life
I feel so good if I just say the word
Su-Su-Sislo, just say the word
Oh Su-Su-Sislo

Now I know that I'm too young
My love has just begun
Su-Su-Sislo oh oh
Oh give me a chance, give me a sign
I'll show her anytime
Su-Su-Sislo oh oh

Ah, I've just got to have her, have her now
I've got to get closer but I don't know how
She makes me nervous and makes me scared
But I feel so good if I just say the word
Su-Su-Sislo, just say the word
Oh Su-Su-Sislo, oh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greene: B+ - Great choice as captain. Solid and reliable as ever.

Larsson: A - It was great to see him build on an impressive 2nd half of last season after the firing of DeBoer to play this season as a legit top pairing d-man. And he was stellar defensively posting a equal team best +15. I think he slightly edges Greene as the teams top defenceman and there is still scope in his game to improve further. He got zero PP time so there is untapped potential there on whether he can run a PP. His calling next season may be to anchor a brand new d pairing away from Greene who is probably best suited to help Severson get back on track.

Severson: C+ - Tough 2nd season who still finished the teams top point scoring d-man despite his struggles. He is going to be a very good d-man when he figures it out but I have a feeling it may not be on this team. Despite his offensive talent, he was largely overlook for Schlemko on the no. 1 PP unit and spent most of his time on the 2nd unit. With the team having a glaring needs for top 6 forwards, could he be used by Shero as trade bait? If he isn't traded, he probably needs to play with Andy Greene to get him back on track. That might not sit well with Hynes who has trust issues and isn't afraid to bench Severson for multiple games, like he did do for a stint during the season.

Schlemko: B+ - Very good signing. I thought he would be a solid bottom pairing defensive d-man. I didn't know how good of skater he was and how he became a mainstay on the PP. He did finish with an ugly -22 though. Unrestricted free agent should be re-signed by Shero.

Moore: C+ - Solid first season. He can be a liability at times but for a bottom pairing d-man, I thought we got good value from him. He is much better than Warsofky and Heleguson so his spot is assured for next season.

Merrill: D - Injury interrupted season. I haven't lost faith but he badly needs some consistency in his game or having the same d partner. It seems he constantly moves around the bottom 2 pairings playing both left and right. I don't think he is comfortable on the right at all so he needs to find a spot on the left with the right D partner. At the start of the season, I would of thought he and Severson would be a good pairing but with both of them struggling it is not a good idea. Merrill, like Severson, could potentially be trade bait this offseason. He won't return much as Severson but we could get a nice player in return with potential. A trade proposal mooted on these boards was a Teemu Pulkkinen for Jon Merrill swap. I think that is a trade that can help both team. Devils needs Pulkkinen scoring talent and big shot. Red Wings need a defenseman and Merrill also has ties in Michigan given his college career.

Helgeson: D - He was OK in his call up but he is very limited. If he keeps his game simple he can be a useful depth player. Is on a one way contract for next season so will likely be on the team full time. His role could be 7th d-man which I am fine with.

Gelinas: F - He just wasn't working out and when Hynes did play him, he didn't get much PP time. You might as well move him on and Shero got good value in a 3rd round pick.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schneider: A+ - Team MVP and got his just desserts as a first time NHL all star this season. A Vezina nomination will soon follow. If not this season and surely in the next season or two. I'll bet on it.

Kinkaid: D - Took a step back this season in which his save percentage dropped from .915 to .904. After Wedgewood's very good cameo, he has a real battle at training camp to keep the backup spot. Competition is going to be good for Keith. He knows he must improve or else he will be out of the NHL.

Hynes: A - I liked him a lot. A refreshing game style and change from DeBoer regime. While it is quite clear we lack talent in some areas (especially goalscoring), Hynes installed a never quit mentality that rubbed off on his team. We had more comeback wins this season and less blown leads which was pleasing as a fan. And the special teams was excellent, top 10 for both PP and PK, which suggests Hynes made great decisions in his support staff, Ward and Nasareddine. As Shero adds more talent to the team and some better luck with injuries, we will be back in the playoffs very soon.

Shero: A+ - The trade of Palmieri was fantastic. The signings of Stempniak, Schelemko and even Moore was very good. The trade deadline moves were excellent. The offseason re-signing of Adam Larsson may be is best deal yet. That contract has been proven to be a steal. Shero had a superb first year as New Jersey's GM. I am excited to see what further he can do in this upcoming offseason.

Last edited:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Seems like a lot of you guys are extremely happy with Larsson this year. Is the offensive upside still there or is he looking more like an Erik Johnson type player who is great at shut down defense and playing tons of minutes but doesn't contribute as much on the scoresheet? What are some reasonable expectations for him next year?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Seems like a lot of you guys are extremely happy with Larsson this year. Is the offensive upside still there or is he looking more like an Erik Johnson type player who is great at shut down defense and playing tons of minutes but doesn't contribute as much on the scoresheet? What are some reasonable expectations for him next year?

It's hard to say for me personally. He had 18 points this past year in 82 games, but none were power play points at all. 17 of them were at even strength, 1 of them was while shorthanded.

He's virtually not used on the power play at all. I think any time he logged on the power play this year was a result of him maybe getting on the ice for a final seconds of a failed power play, like maybe after the puck is cleared and guys changed with just seconds remaining. I can't remember him used once in a power play role all season.

But last year he had 24 points in 64 games. Again they were almost all even strength, maybe a shorthanded point or two. He wasn't used on the PP then either.

I've counted quite a few times this season where he's shot the puck and it created a rebound that nobody got to to cash in and bury. Luckily for him, it happened in the season finale and was actually buried that time. I think if he's used on the power play, he's probably a 30-ish point player. I think if used on the power play this past year, that 18 points might have been 26-ish or so points in total if used on the power play. Maybe a few more. That's 30-ish points in total, not 30-ish points in power play. He's not given any power play time because we need him for shutdown and PK assignments. Almost 70% of his zone starts this year were in the D zone. 69.2% to be exact and 30.8% in the O zone. He has 4 career PP points and all came in his rookie season of 11-12.

hutter

Mar 6, 2014

Believe it or not, he was better than Erik Johnson defensively this year. Statistically, it's not even close either, though there are a number of external factors that could be contributing to his numbers. Even considering eye-test, we haven't seen a guy with this much potential for defensive competence in a while.

It's pretty unclear if he'll ever put up points. Looking like he won't, but he occasionally does flash the killer instinct. We'll see. I don't think he'd be a good power play guy.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
It's hard to say for me personally. He had 18 points this past year in 82 games, but none were power play points at all. 17 of them were at even strength, 1 of them was while shorthanded.

He's virtually not used on the power play at all. I think any time he logged on the power play this year was a result of him maybe getting on the ice for a final seconds of a failed power play, like maybe after the puck is cleared and guys changed with just seconds remaining. I can't remember him used once in a power play role all season.

But last year he had 24 points in 64 games. Again they were almost all even strength, maybe a shorthanded point or two. He wasn't used on the PP then either.

I've counted quite a few times this season where he's shot the puck and it created a rebound that nobody got to to cash in and bury. Luckily for him, it happened in the season finale and was actually buried that time. I think if he's used on the power play, he's probably a 30-ish point player. I think if used on the power play this past year, that 18 points might have been 26-ish or so points in total if used on the power play. Maybe a few more. That's 30-ish points in total, not 30-ish points in power play. He's not given any power play time because we need him for shutdown and PK assignments. Almost 70% of his zone starts this year were in the D zone. 69.2% to be exact and 30.8% in the O zone. He has 4 career PP points and all came in his rookie season of 11-12.

Believe it or not, he was better than Erik Johnson defensively this year. Statistically, it's not even close either, though there are a number of external factors that could be contributing to his numbers. Even considering eye-test, we haven't seen a guy with this much potential for defensive competence in a while.

It's pretty unclear if he'll ever put up points. Looking like he won't, but he occasionally does flash the killer instinct. We'll see. I don't think he'd be a good power play guy.

That's great to hear that he's turned into a defensive tank for you guys, every team could use a player like that. He's still young which means he has room to grow offensively but, as both of you stated it doesn't look like a sure thing that will happen with how he's being utilized.

Does severson look like the go to Dman offensively? From what I've seen he has an absolute laser of a shot and it looks like if he matures a little and NJ improves their top 6, severson can be a 40-50 point guy.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

About Larsson's offensive upside, it's still hard for me to say exactly what I think it is, because he hasn't gotten a lot of opportunities (like on the PP) to really showcase it although I feel that he has looked good on the PP when he gets a chance, and there are certainly flashes where you can see strong offensive instincts.

He can even string together games where he shows that offensive upside, but I still think that he's finding the confidence to take some calculated risks offensively. He's confident and consistent defensively, but seems to still be trying to find that confidence and consistency offensively. The good thing is Hynes and Larsson seem to have a pretty trusting relationship and Hynes appears to have encouraged Larsson to experiment more offensively, so maybe we'll see him take big strides offensively next season the way he did defensively this season and the second half of last year.

ETA: On Severson, since you asked about him in a follow-up post, I think there's the potential for him to be that go-to guy offensively. Certainly I think he's shown more offensive upside than Larsson (don't care if some other posters around here crucify me for that position). He has a good shot, just needs to improve the accuracy, and very good vision and passing. Also a much smoother skater than Larsson naturally. Just fits the mold of a typical defenseman with offensive upside a bit more than Larsson. Main thing for him is really just finding consistency since he likes to coast a little on his talent, but he has talent and he knows it (for better or worse).

Last edited:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
About Larsson's offensive upside, it's still hard for me to say exactly what I think it is, because he hasn't gotten a lot of opportunities (like on the PP) to really showcase it although I feel that he has looked good on the PP when he gets a chance, and there are certainly flashes where you can see strong offensive instincts.

He can even string together games where he shows that offensive upside, but I still think that he's finding the confidence to take some calculated risks offensively. He's confident and consistent defensively, but seems to still be trying to find that confidence and consistency offensively. The good thing is Hynes and Larsson seem to have a pretty trusting relationship and Hynes appears to have encouraged Larsson to experiment more offensively, so maybe we'll see him take big strides offensively next season the way he did defensively this season and the second half of last year.

ETA: On Severson, since you asked about him in a follow-up post, I think there's the potential for him to be that go-to guy offensively. Certainly I think he's shown more offensive upside than Larsson (don't care if some other posters around here crucify me for that position). He has a good shot, just needs to improve the accuracy, and very good vision and passing. Also a much smoother skater than Larsson naturally. Just fits the mold of a typical defenseman with offensive upside a bit more than Larsson. Main thing for him is really just finding consistency since he likes to coast a little on his talent, but he has talent and he knows it (for better or worse).

Thanks for the response! Yeah I think with Zacha and Blandisi hopefully taking steps for you guys, your future doesn't look as bad as a lot of people think. Dmen usually take longer to develop so anyone writing off larsson, severson, or any of the other young guys on the devils is in for a surprise.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Thanks for the response! Yeah I think with Zacha and Blandisi hopefully taking steps for you guys, your future doesn't look as bad as a lot of people think. Dmen usually take longer to develop so anyone writing off larsson, severson, or any of the other young guys on the devils is in for a surprise.

Thank you for the nice comments about the team:D I definitely think that Zacha has the potential to be a game-changer (I was at the his NHL debut, I was really impressed), and I hope that Blandisi and Boucher can compliment Henrique and Palmieri, which really would be a fine forward squad if everything works out right. And I think there's a real chance that Larsson and Severson surprise people next season. The future looks brighter for the Devils at the end of this season than it did last year, so hopefully that trend continues. :nod:

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Cammallieri: B - Injuries

Zajac: C+ - Bounced back a bit, but still had some point droughts. Better as a number 2 center, but still not playing up to expectations nor capabilities.

Henrique: A - Becoming a cornerstone of the franchise. Continued playing well after Cammy went down and after Stemp got traded. Was the catalyst for DSPs rebirth. Came to play every night in all situations.

Palmieri: A+ - Fantastic acquisition.

Boucher: B+ - Showed much better defense, skating and vision than I thought he possessed. Went from a one-weapon player to a legit 3rd line NHL wing. Looked at home with Trav and Palmieri.

Elias: INC - It's all sentiment and locker room benefit at this point.

Gionta: B - Plays hard every night; adds speed to the lineup. Hopefully will be pushed out as better options arrive, but you can't slight his effort and what he brings to the team.

Kalinin: B- - Might be a quality 4th line character guy going forward. Young, so maybe learning the North American game and adding confidence nets us a poor man's Dubinsky.

Kennedy: C+ - Was invisible for most of the season until put on a line with Henrique and DSP, and then I thought he played great. Quality depth 4th liner.

Tootoo: D - Like the person, liked the player last year, but he's got to go.

Blandisi: C+ - Had some great moments and showed great skill. Defensive meltdowns stole some luster and he seemed to get a little to comfortable at points. Like all young players, if he can bring consistency, he will be a steal for us.

Josefson: B- - At times the only player would could carry the puck into the zone to set up the PP. Didn't exactly take over a top6 role, but showed that he could be a valuable NHL player, if only for PP, PK, and shootout duties. Disappointingly didn't grab the reigns when handed a top6 spot, so the jury is still out. All in all, though, this season was a big stride forwards for him. Injury questions remain.

Smith-Pelly: B+ - Handed a topline spot. Very impressive effort that I hope he'll continue to bring next year, when he isn't on the top line.

Stempniak: A - What an amazing signing.

Farnham: A - The guy is a clown, but his speed and goalscoring were a fantastic surprise for grabbing someone off the waiver wire junk heap. His goals were of just the same type as DSPs, so you cannot malign his effort and value.

Ruutu: F - Ugh.

Tlusty: F - Ugh.

O'Neill: F - Just not strong enough, nor heady enough, nor skilled enough.

Matteau: F - Very disappointing that his attitude clearly impacted his icetime.

Sislo: D - Not big enough. Game just doesn't translate to NHL.

Greene: B - Solid, solid, solid. Still had some remarkable clunkers for games every now and then, though. (The Marty game against Edm sticks out where he let Hall and McDavid have clean 1st period breakaways with seemingly boneheaded pinches) Shows those flashes of offense that you wish could happen on a more consistent basis, considering he had that big point year a few years back.

Larsson: A- - Will be an anchor for this team - but the question remains: What happens if you take Greene away from him?

Severson: C- - Terrible disappointment started when Hynes sent him a message in training camp. He never showed any urgency nor drive to his game. Got sat in favor of Gelinas and Merrill and that is probably all you need to know - considering he's got the skills to be a #1 Dman right now. Just some growing up to do.

Schlemko: A - Exceeded all expectations. At times was the best player on the ice. At this point, by far our best offensive defenseman. Hope we resign him.

Moore: B- - Scored some huge goals and played decent defense for most of the season. It is worrisome that he just generally seemed to lose track of the play on occasion, rather than having glaring breakdowns.

Merrill: C - Clearly his development has been stunted to the benefit of Larsson, and then Severson. If he had a reliable veteran D partner to learn from, he'd probably be much further along right now, as it seems all or most of his problems arise from confidence and lack of experience, and not from lack of ability or IQ. I'm hopeful he can turn it around, but it was ugly at times.

Helgeson: B - He did what he was supposed to do - and did it fairly well. Has such limited upside, it is tough to see how he fits in our plans.

Gelinas: D - Sad disappointment, obviously. Still has the skills but most likely won't ever have the IQ to put it together. I think he got a much worse rap on this board than he deserved, as his mistakes were magnified by his limited time on the ice.

Schneider: A+ - Great season.

Kinkaid: C - Definitely took a step back

Wedgewood: B+ - Kid definitely re-ignited some 'belief' in a playoff spot temporarily. Nice debut for him - probably doesn't have the size to be a full-time NHL goaltender, and he got lucky in spots when his positioning wasn't strong - but he will give Kinky a challenge in training camp.

Hynes: A - Can't say one negative thing.

Shero: A+ - Excellent job. Did what he needed to do in the preseason and at the deadline.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Schneider - A+
Kinkaid - C-
Wedgewood - B

Greene - A
Larsson - A
Severson - C
Moore - D
Schlemko - B
Merrill - D
Helgeson - D

Palmieri - A
Henrique - B+
Zajac - B+
Cammalleri - A-
Stempniak - A
DSP - B+
Boucher - B+
Blandisi - B
Kalinin - C+
Josefson - C-
Elias - N/A
Ruutu - steaming pile of poop
Tootoo - cat vomit
Tlusty - F
Gionta - D
Farnham - C+
Kennedy - B-

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
B for Gionta???

Guess there's at least one person who likes him. :amazed:

I tend to grade someone who absolutely maxes out his ability (Gionta) but who has little talent alot higher than someone who doesn't play to his potential.

We got all we could possibly expect out of Gionta. The effort matched the expectation - it's too bad he just is so limited and sucks. I'm not going to give him an F for that.

Same thing with someone like Farnham. The guy was literally picked up in a dumpster dive. I don't know how anyone could grade him lower than a B for putting up 7 goals and being an entertaining clown who runs into the boards really hard.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I tend to grade someone who absolutely maxes out his ability (Gionta) but who has little talent alot higher than someone who doesn't play to his potential.

We got all we could possibly expect out of Gionta. The effort matched the expectation - it's too bad he just is so limited and sucks. I'm not going to give him an F for that.

Same thing with someone like Farnham. The guy was literally picked up in a dumpster dive. I don't know how anyone could grade him lower than a B for putting up 7 goals and being an entertaining clown who runs into the boards really hard.

Fair enough with the grading policy being about how much someone capitalizes on their potential (and I think everyone knows Gionta's potential and talent isn't that high, at least relative to other NHL players). I think this is just the year that I've finally had enough of guys like Gionta, Tootoo, and Josefson getting minimal results no matter how hard they work. They all seem like great people and they definitely try hard, but I guess I just am at the point where I really want this team to make the playoffs, and guys like Gionta, Tootoo, and Josefson just seem to be holding us back from that even if they don't mean to.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Fair enough with the grading policy being about how much someone capitalizes on their potential (and I think everyone knows Gionta's potential and talent isn't that high, at least relative to other NHL players). I think this is just the year that I've finally had enough of guys like Gionta, Tootoo, and Josefson getting minimal results no matter how hard they work. They all seem like great people and they definitely try hard, but I guess I just am at the point where I really want this team to make the playoffs, and guys like Gionta, Tootoo, and Josefson just seem to be holding us back from that even if they don't mean to.

I don't think that 4th line players are holding back this team.

I think having a second line center being paid 6mil and scoring all of 14 goals and 42 points (when his winger has 30 goals) is a hell of a bigger problem when your team is last in the league in scoring goals.

People consider Zajac's 'bounceback' year a success, but he was 32nd in scoring among centers in the eastern conference. That means he's an elite 3rd line center.

You want to give someone an F, that'd be a good start. I'll buy the 'he is miscast as a 1C'... but truth is, unless he puts more points up, he's miscast as a 2C as well.

Cammy being out for 30+ games every year merits a look too.

Yeah, I'll be happy when guys push JJ back to the 4th line and when Ruutu and Gionta out the door - but I'll be alot happier when Trav regains a bit of confidence and hits 50+ points, or Zacha pushes him down to the third line where he can be the best of the Tyler Bozeks of the world and where a 40 point season won't hurt us so much.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I don't think that 4th line players are holding back this team.

I think having a second line center being paid 6mil and scoring all of 14 goals and 42 points (when his winger has 30 goals) is a hell of a bigger problem when your team is last in the league in scoring goals.

People consider Zajac's 'bounceback' year a success, but he was 32nd in scoring among centers in the eastern conference. That means he's an elite 3rd line center.

You want to give someone an F, that'd be a good start. I'll buy the 'he is miscast as a 1C'... but truth is, unless he puts more points up, he's miscast as a 2C as well.

Cammy being out for 30+ games every year merits a look too.

Yeah, I'll be happy when guys push JJ back to the 4th line and when Ruutu and Gionta out the door - but I'll be alot happier when Trav regains a bit of confidence and hits 50+ points, or Zacha pushes him down to the third line where he can be the best of the Tyler Bozeks of the world and where a 40 point season won't hurt us so much.

Well, I'm not really going to defend Zajac, although he was better this year than last, because I'm not a big Zajac fan. I still prefer him to Gionta or Josefson, though. We need our best players to be better, but we also need our depth not to be useless. Just need to be a better team from top down, especially at forward. Hopefully Blandisi, Boucher, and Zacha can bring that next year (and maybe JQ as well). That's what we need, a revitalization of the forward corps, but I'm ready to bid adieu to the Tootoos and Giontas of the world as soon as possible. They aren't bad people, but they are bad NHL players.

As for Cammy, I can't blame him for being injured. He's a small, older forward. That he is injury-prone is to be expected, and it's exactly why we'll need other forwards to fill that void.

Disclaimer: I'm just really ready to move onto the next phase of this team. I'm tired of missing the playoffs year after year, and watching the same players (JJ and company) fail to score on golden opportunities. Thank God for Boucher, and to a lesser extent Blandisi. Boucher is like a million times better than JJ because Boucher can actually score and is developing into a more all-around player, whereas JJ will never develop a scoring touch.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zajac had a good season.

What hurt us was the TRASH that we iced in the bottom 6, particularly the 3rd line.

Josefson and the 20 points he was on pace for, Kalinin and his 15 or 16 points. Nobody that played on the 3rd line was on pace for 30 points, that a HUGE problem in my eyes.

We can't have players like Josefson and his 20 points he's on pace for (if he had god forbid stayed healthy and played 82 games) on the 3rd line.

If Zajac was a third liner, we'd have the best 3rd line in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Except that's a faulty search method/hypothesis cause some of the guys they count as centers on NHL.com really aren't primarily centers - Brayden Schenn and Boone Jenner come to mind. Dylan Larkin's another. I'm sure at least a couple other guys would be winger primarily if I looked further.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Just need to be a better team from top down, especially at forward.
Amen - this is exactly my point. We need young players to step into roles on the top6 OR we need our top6 players to start playing like top6 players.

As for Cammy, I can't blame him for being injured. He's a small, older forward. That he is injury-prone is to be expected, and it's exactly why we'll need other forwards to fill that void.
I can blame him to the degree that: It really hurts when the guy is on a 70+ point pace rivaling Ovi over 42 games... and then only plays 42 games. With razor thin depth on the top6, that is probably the singular reason we didn't make the playoffs.

Thank God for Boucher, and to a lesser extent Blandisi. Boucher is like a million times better than JJ because Boucher can actually score and is developing into a more all-around player, whereas JJ will never develop a scoring touch.

You said it sister. Those are hopefully 40 more goals next year for a goal starved team if they play the full 82.

Zajac had a good season.
Only compared to the disaster of the season before. Show me a contender or a playoff team with a #2 center with such low point totals.

If Zajac was a third liner, we'd have the best 3rd line in the league.

We won't be competitive until he is the 3C or starts playing like a 2C.

In the east, Boston has 2 better Cs, and a third with more points. Detroit has two better Cs and a third with 14 goals. Florida has Troschek, Barkov and a third with 15g. Wash has Backstrom, Kuz and Johannson. Isles: Tavares and Nielson. Rags: Stepan and Brassard. Pens: Crosby and Malkin. Even Cullen had more goals. Stamkos and Johnson had bad years for Tampa, but they certainly slot ahead of Travis. We can argue that the above are 'better' or not based on Trav's defensive prowess and the famed intangibles, but we are talking about the most of players above putting up 20+ more points than Travis.

Of the playoff teams (I included Boston because they should have been there instead of Philly) only on the craptastic Flyers could you legitimately slot Travis into a second line center role. *Maybe* over Franz Nielson on the Island, but I think that would be a rose-colored glasses debate.

Best third line center in the league? Certainly top3, although I think the Sharks (Since Marleau Pavelski and Couture sometimes play C after Thornton - I don't know where DeBoer has them placed today) and Washington have a debate.

Originally the debate was he should be a 2C, not a 1C. Ok. Now, even after a 'bounceback' there is debate as to whether he is a decent 2C.

And keep in mind, Kovy, Jagr and Palmieri aren't the dogfood that every other center on this team has been forced to play with.

Yes - more support from the 3rd line would be great - but we still need the top6 to account for 120+ goals in order to be successful and Trav and his $6m shouldn't be counted in the slack for others to pick up.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would say Kalinin having 15 points and 14 from Josefson and them being two of our regular 3rd line players, were a MUCH bigger problem than Zajac.

Josefson had 14 points and 2 at even strength.

TWO points at even strength! Two ****ing points at even strength from our 3rd line center this year. A goal and an assist each.

That was the main problem right there, no production from the 3rd line.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
On Cammy, I just don't think it's fair to blame him for being injured. Not his fault that this team had subpar depth, so when he was gone, our competitiveness was shot. That's more of a testament to how useless a majority of our forwards were, not a problem with Cammy, especially since you have to expect that a small and older forward like him will be injury-prone. Sort of goes with the territory of signing the guy. Hopefully he has better luck next year with injuries and the team has more depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00