Speculation: 2016 Offseason Overhaul

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Assume for the purposes of this discussion that things go poorly in the playoffs, which for me means that we've either exited in the first round again or won a first round series and been swept in Round 2. Regardless of who the coach or GM might be, who do you have on your "safe" list and who do you think will be the first to go?

Here is my list (omitting prospects that are inconsequential at this time) acknowledging that the playoff performance of individual players could change which list they fall in:

Keepers
F: Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri
D: Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Parayko, Edmundson, Dunn
G: Allen, Binnington, Husso, Opilka

Bring Them Back
F: Brodziak, Upshall, Ott

Available at the Right Price
F: Stastny, Steen, Lehtera, Reaves, Jaskin, Rattie, Barbashev
D: Pietrangelo (requires huge overpayment), Bortuzzo, Lindbohm, Schmaltz, Walman
G: Elliott, Copley

On The Block
F: Berglund, Paajarvi
D: Shattenkirk
G: Nilsson (if not already lost to waivers)

Time To Move On (Unsigned UFAs)
F: Backes, Brouwer

What do you think the overhaul should look like?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd swap Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester. If Shattenkirk is likely to be traded, there's 0 chance the Blues will even listen to offers on Pietrangelo. I think their mind is made up on who they are moving and it does make sense.

Bouwmeester should stay since we're not exactly loaded on the left side, but if we get a decent deal and are able to move his contract I wouldn't rule that out. Of course we'd need a cheaper replacement probably coming back, so it's unlikely.

I also wouldn't put Binnington on the "keepers" list, he can be available. If we need to throw him in a trade, so be it. He's done nothing yet to secure a spot.

Everything else looks pretty good and I mostly agree with it. I'd probably prefer to sign a younger 4th liner than Ott but that's not too big of a deal. Paajarvi should just be released so he can go back to Europe.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I would probably add another category just because I don't like the connotation of "keepers" and "available for the right price".

I really wouldn't call Edmundson or Gunnarsson as "keepers" because that makes them sound like vital/core players. I would say that they are players that could be available but the return wouldn't amount to anything that would benefit us now or, most likely, in the future. Now I have no idea what such a category would be called, but that's just the way I see it.

Overall, I would put Pietrangelo in the "keepers" section and Steen in the "Bring them back" section, even if he has one more year left on his contract. Also, I agree that Binnington needs to be with Copley in the "available" section. It doesn't make sense to have one in that section and not the other at this point in their careers. I'd also say it's time to move on from Paajarvi. Other than that, I like it.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Pretty good list..we would want the new coach's input (Hitch will be gone if we exit in round 1) and to consider his "system" in finalizing the list.

If Allen gets the PO starts and bombs, you might as well put him on the available list.

This is not a "sit on our hands" offseason--we must at the very least address the Shatty situation.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Overhaul? Pfffft...please. If Blues bow out early again, I say bring the whole gang back for 1 more try. 6th times the charm, right? After all, I've heard the problem is simply the coach...so why shouldn't this core get another crack at it with a new voice behind the bench?

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Why is Dunn a keeper but Walman is available the right price?

I value Dunn as a prospect a little more than Walman, but much more than that Walman's 2nd shoulder injury scares me a little and I would be inclined to move him down the road for the right price as long as Dunn's development doesn't stall. For example, if someone were to offer a 1st or a similarly valued C prospect for him I would take it. With Dunn, I'm not so sure.

On the question of classifying Petro and Shatty as I did, obviously if Shatty is traded you don't really even listen to offers for Petro. Likewise, if someone makes you an offer you can't refuse on Petro you lock up Shatty and hang onto him. I do not and would not see a situation where both would be moved regardless of how drastically we are rebuilding.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I hate to see Shatty go, but it probably makes the most sense considering you would have Parayko and Petro as your top 2 RHD. BUT, if you could move Petro for what you classified as a "huge overpayment" I would love to see what that could mean. If EDM wins the Lottery again, I would think a package of Petro and possibly some other asset like Allen or Elliott (assuming neither carries us far in the SCP), would make for a nice "young core" enhancement.

The Winter Classic gives the Blues some security to retain (and gain) season ticket holders, but if they didn't have that "carrot", and don't advance past the 2nd round again, I think the Season Ticket revenue would drop significantly.

But with the Rams gone, and more dollars available to be spent on the Blues regardless of their SCP performance, I'm sure they will be more patient. But honestly, I think you have to say our window for a Championship is not getting any bigger, so they will have to make several adjustments...especially if new coach and front office changes are made.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Assume for the purposes of this discussion that things go poorly in the playoffs, which for me means that we've either exited in the first round again or won a first round series and been swept in Round 2. Regardless of who the coach or GM might be, who do you have on your "safe" list and who do you think will be the first to go?

Here is my list (omitting prospects that are inconsequential at this time) acknowledging that the playoff performance of individual players could change which list they fall in:

Keepers
F: Tarasenko, Schwartz, Fabbri
D: Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Parayko, Edmundson, Dunn
G: Allen, Binnington, Husso, Opilka

Bring Them Back
F: Brodziak, Upshall, Ott

Available at the Right Price
F: Stastny, Steen, Lehtera, Reaves, Jaskin, Rattie, Barbashev
D: Pietrangelo (requires huge overpayment), Bortuzzo, Lindbohm, Schmaltz, Walman
G: Elliott, Copley

On The Block
F: Berglund, Paajarvi
D: Shattenkirk
G: Nilsson (if not already lost to waivers)

Time To Move On (Unsigned UFAs)
F: Backes, Brouwer

What do you think the overhaul should look like?

I think you keep the kids Barbashev, Schmaltz, Walman until you get a better read on their NHL potential. For instance, Rattie should of been dealt a long time ago, they should of recognized earlier he's not going to be an impact NHL player so we've hurt ourselves there.

I would put Bouwmeester in the available if price is right group as well.

Ott is not a keeper, time to move on from him.

Actually Reeves should be kept in the keeper spot. At 1M per year, he's a steal. It's the Blues Mgmt fault for not utilizing him better. I've always felt Reeves could contribute more but the Blues show no imagination in their use of Reeves which is sad.

Bortuzzo & Lindbohm should be keepers as well. Blues defense needs some nasty, we can't let these guys go.

Lastly, I'd like to see the Blues sign Backes at a fair price if possible and to a contract that enables the Blues to trade him in the future. Would hate to see him walk for nothing.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
New coach.
Physical partner for Petro.
1C (if it's Fabbri, high end winger or two)

Keepers:
Steen
Schwartz
Tarasenko
Lehtera
Stastny
Fabbri
Reaves
Petro
Parayko
Edmundson
Bortuzzo
Lindbohm
One of Gunnarson/Jbo
Shatty (if he's not moved for 1C)

The rest are up for grabs if the price is right.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Overhaul? Pfffft...please. If Blues bow out early again, I say bring the whole gang back for 1 more try. 6th times the charm, right? After all, I've heard the problem is simply the coach...so why shouldn't this core get another crack at it with a new voice behind the bench?

I know you are being sarcastic (blue font and all) so are you suggesting it IS the players / core that is more to blame than the coach?

If you blame the players well we have seen quite the change in players since Hitch has taken over. Only 6 players remain from when he took over. If you want to count Elliott or Schwartz joining the club in mid-March then that's 7-8 but as far as skaters there is really only 6.

Backes
Pietrangelo
Shattenkirk
Berglund
Steen
Reaves

That's it. Just saying all the people who say we have had the same team since Hitch has been here so it's not possible that Hitch could be the issue are mistaken.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'll be pedantic... I never understand the concept of saying someone is "available at the right price". We don't have Connor McDavid, every single one of players is available a the right price.

Realistically keep:
Forwards: Tarasenko, Stastny, Steen, Schwartz, Fabbri, Brodziak & Upshall.
Defensemen: Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, Parayko & Schmaltz.
Goalies: Allen & Husso.

Everyone else is available in the right deals.

Lastly, I'd like to see the Blues sign Backes at a fair price if possible and to a contract that enables the Blues to trade him in the future. Would hate to see him walk for nothing.

I'd have preferred to see if we could have moved Backes last summer, but that was then. At this point the only decision is for Backes to sign at a steep discount or let him leave for nothing.

Not signing a player to a contract that hurts the team against the cap is far more important than making sure we get a return on him. Backes isn't signing a fair contract that allows him traded.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad