Speculation: 2016 Offseason moves to make a Playoff team

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Don't you know that all we have to do is get rid of "the bums" and sign "whoever is half decent in college or the ahl" as filler and we'd be great?

Doesn't it seem that way! :laugh: They have to find competent replacements and it seems most likely they would have to trade for those guys.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
**IN-SEASON**
1. Re-sign McGinn for 4yrs @ $4M AAV ASAP. He wants to stay here, and frankly he fits like a freaking glove so make the deal... Also sign Fasching to his ELC as soon as possible before his agent decides to re-enter draft.

2. Try to deal Moulson (@25% retained?) for a "more useful bad contract" such as a LHD reclamation such as Marc Staal, Matt Carle or Andrew MacDonald.

**OFFSEASON**
1. Draft in top-5 in June, Wish-list in order is Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Chychrun, Tkachuk. Any of top-3 guys have the potential to be NHL ready come October.

2. Re-sign Girgensons, McCabe, Deslauriers & Schaller for sure, Would also be fine with bringing back Larsson & Foligno but they could both be used as trade currency if needed due to redundancy.

3. Offer 4yr deal at $5.75M AAV to David Backes or Andrew Ladd.
- OR - 5-6yrs @ $5.75M AAV to Kyle Okposo or Mikkel Boedker.
- OR - 3yrs @ $4.5M AAV to Troy Brouwer.

1. Kane-O'Reilly-Reinhart
2. Ennis-Eichel-UFA addition
3. McGinn-Girgensons-Gionta
4. Foligno/Larsson-Schaller-Deslauriers
X. 2016 1st RND pick/Bailey/Fasching/Baptiste/Rodrigue

1. Ristolainen-Pysyk
2. Bogosian-Staal/Carle/MacDonald
3. Franson-Gorges
x. McCabe/Guhle

1. Lehner
2. Ullmark
X. UFA/Makarov/Lieuwen

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Too bad Loui Eriksson is having a killer season. He most likely is out-pricing himself regarding salary and especially term from our pov. He would have been a really good fit with Eichel, I think.

I have zero interest handing about 6 million contract with 6 years to Mikkel Bödker.

Really have liked Foligno and Larsson the last games. Gionta has been decent on that line, but damn how a guy like Fasching could be a great fit there instead of Gionta...

Let's assume we draft one of the Finns. They play the next season in Finland. We trade away most of our pending UFAs and Ennis and Franson (with retention) as well. We get back futures and players who aren't regulars but have legitimate potential (like Müller, G.Reinhart, D.Pouliot etc). I doubt we're able to get that missing LHD on TDL. Basically we get more trade ammunition and at least one young potential guy.

Bogo-Risto becomes a thing. Murray makes a ballsy, successful offersheet to one of those young LHDs who play in a cap/salary crunched team (Määttä, Lindholm, Murray). Alternatively Murray uses picks/prospects to (even by overpaying) getting the LHD. Overpaying might mean shipping out roster player, which might not be ideal. We need one short-mid-term top-6 guy (Eriksson would be preferable, but he will get too long contract somewhere else).

Kane - ROR - Reinhart
"Weise/McGinn"- Eichel - Girgs
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta
Moulson - Schaller - Des
vet, vet

Bogo - Risto
Young LHD - Pysyk
Gorges/McCabe - RHD vet/Franson (if not traded)
Gorges/McCabe

Lehner
Goalie Backup

Is that a playoff team? With the development of our young guns that team at least seriously fight for a spot. With replacing Weise/McGinn by Eriksson (for example) most likely would make our team a playoff team, but it might create problems further along the way. I rather decrease our odds next season than hammer the future.

But I think the next season after next season should be an interesting one. I think Reinhart would be ready as a center.

ROR - Eichel - Pulju/Laine
Kane - Reinhart - Girgs
Foligno - Larsson - Fasching
Weise/McGinn - Schaller - Moulson
Des, Carrier

Bogo - Risto
LHD - Pysyk
McCabe - Florentino or similar
Gorges

Lehner/Ullmark
Lehner/Ullmark/Backup

But in reality, our roster most likely will have more movement, like it almost every time is regarding these speculations. :laugh:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's simple really:

#1. Purge all pending UFAs at the deadline. McGinn, (2nd rounder/player), Legwand, Weber, Cola, Johnson.
#2. Target #1 is a top pairing LHD. Likely in the trade market
#3. Target #2 is a top 6 RW, available via UFA. Backes, Brouwer, Opokso, etc.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Apologies for my misleading wording in the thread title, I meant more along the lines of assessing the current roster to determine which of the pending FAs we should be keeping. I'm in favor of a primarily homegrown-talent filled roster and don't believe we need to make many (if any) more significant trades. Shipping out pending FAs we don't intend to re-sign is one thing, but "hockey trades" for the sake of shaking things up isn't something I see as beneficial for the team at this point unless anyone starts slipping.

This, as long as the guys we're counting on can stay healthy OR we have suitable fill-ins waiting for the chance to prove themselves I think we're set for success.

Addition of an elite winger via the draft and a top pairing LHD like Maatta or Murray will be key this summer.
If we pull that off. "Elite" players get us top 4 in east with serious ECF Finals implication.

I don't like Bylsma in anyway but I'm confident that these younger guys can take a step up and kind of carry Bylsma through his shortcomings.

If we had Babcock I'd say we'd be cup contenders with those additions.

But....sigh.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I expect TM to definitely trade all UFAs with an appx return of...

McGinn - 2nd (replaced by Fasching)
Legwand - 5th (replaced by Schaller)
Weber - 4th (replaced by Donovan or Ruhwedel)
Colaiacovo - 6th (not replaced, go with 7 d-men)
Johnson - 5th (replaced by Ullmark or Lieuwen)

None of those replacements will necessarily be permanent, but just to end the season. In the off-season I don't expect many hockey trades aside from possibly Ennis getting thrown into a package deal for a LHD. The best thing that could happen is for Buffalo to win the lottery and trade down to a team in the 3-7 range that has a young top-pair calibre LHD or top six W. Trade for the one position, draft the other. Potential trade partner would be Columbus for Ryan Murray, then draft Puljujarvi or Laine. Same thing with Anaheim (Lindholm or Fowler), but only if they end up with a draft position that could also get a Finn W.

Of course winning the lottery is a low % plan, so TM can either draft a W/D or trade for one, but he won't be able to acquire a top young talent for both.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Replace what you lose at the deadline, and add two top 4 LHD, a top line LW, and a bottom six winger.

The LHD is the clear priority, and this is the second year running we've needed it.

McPhatty00

Apr 23, 2014
State College, PA
It's simple really:

#1. Purge all pending UFAs at the deadline. McGinn, (2nd rounder/player), Legwand, Weber, Cola, Johnson.

Yes, yes and yes.

I don't get all this talk of retaining McGinn. There is no way this team contends in the final 32 games. Therefore, he's gone. So are Legwand, Cola and probably Johnson (good for him, playing well while Lehner was hurt).

Unless there's a huge improvement from Moulson AND a large % of salary retained, he's here. I think Ennis could use a Myers-like change of scenery.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
**IN-SEASON**
1. Re-sign McGinn for 4yrs @ $4M AAV ASAP. He wants to stay here, and frankly he fits like a freaking glove so make the deal... Also sign Fasching to his ELC as soon as possible before his agent decides to re-enter draft.

2. Try to deal Moulson (@25% retained?) for a "more useful bad contract" such as a LHD reclamation such as Marc Staal, Matt Carle or Andrew MacDonald.

Don't have an issue with trading Moulson---just do not want a contract with more term coming back.

My gut feeling is there was some sort of wink wink nod nod that Moulson retires when Reinhart/Eichel end their ELCs and he may be given an admin position with the team.

Fasching CAN NOT re-enter the draft. If he goes back to college then Buffalo will have his rights till August 15, 2017. He turns pro this year at some point then its 1 June 2017. After those dates he becomes a UFA--still restricted with his first contract by the CBA. I will be shocked if he doe not turn pro after this college season.

McGinn---you sign players to longer contracts you will have problems later with the young kids coming up.

If you think on LW Buffalo has:

LW
1. Kane (2 yrs left)
2. Girgensons( last yr ELC)
3. Foligno ( RFA)
4. Deslauriers (RFA)
5. Moulson ( 3 yrs left)
6. Ennis ( 3 yrs left)

RW:
1. Reinhart/Larsson (under team control for 3 yrs at least)
2. Gionta (1 yr left)
3. Fasching/Baptiste/Bailey (on ELC)
4. UFA RW (Boedker, Okposo, Backes, etc)

c:
1. ROR
2. Eichel
3. Larsson/Reinhart
4. Schaller/DuPuy/1-2 yr UFA signing

above I have 10 winger slots---8 are dressed, 2 in the box---where is room for McGinn???

To sign him who do you sacrifice?

As for Defense

trading Moulson retained for Carle/MacD Buffalo better be getting something else back in return worthwhile.

As for Defense---target a younger 22-26 yr old Dman and use your assets to trade for them (Ennis, Foligno, Larsson, etc.)

It's simple really:

Don't need to target a #1 LHD---just target a solid middle pair or someone who projects as a solid middle pair with potential to be on a pair with Risto .

Boedker would be my top target.

Legwand has more value---he has a ton of experience and he is strong for PK. Kind of players you pick up for a cup run.

Johnson has more value---he goes for a 3rd. Johnson would more likely be replaced by Lieuwen--I think this is his last year before having to clear waivers while Makarov still has another year. Leave Ullmark to play in Rochester to play

Other values are fine

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

None of those replacements will necessarily be permanent, but just to end the season. In the off-season I don't expect many hockey trades aside from possibly Ennis getting thrown into a package deal for a LHD. The best thing that could happen is for Buffalo to win the lottery and trade down to a team in the 3-7 range that has a young top-pair calibre LHD or top six W. Trade for the one position, draft the other. Potential trade partner would be Columbus for Ryan Murray, then draft Puljujarvi or Laine. Same thing with Anaheim (Lindholm or Fowler), but only if they end up with a draft position that could also get a Finn W.

Of course winning the lottery is a low % plan, so TM can either draft a W/D or trade for one, but he won't be able to acquire a top young talent for both.

Another rightie. If so, BUF could have 5 of their top-6 D as Righties. I don't think that's the best option/strategy. Nothing against Ruhwedl.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad