Speculation: 2016 Offseason moves to make a Playoff team

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
The 2016 Draft right here and a (likely) top 5 pick! Hopefully our selection will join the roster next season, making 1 less roster spot for our current stable of players.

With so many contracts up this summer, who stays and who goes?

According to Spotrac, we have a total of 26 pending UFAs and RFAs. With the TDL approaching it'll be interesting to see who gets shipped out and who ends up sticking, but for the meantime there's this:

Pending notable UFAs
C- Legwand - $3.0m
L - McGinn - $2.95m
D - Weber - $1.66m
G - Johnson - $1.3m

Pending notable RFAs
L - Foligno - $1.87m
D - Ristolainen - $.92m
D - McCabe - $.91m
C - Girgensons - $.89m
C - Larsson - $.80m
D - Ruhwedel - $.65m
L - Deslauriers - $.63m
C - Schaller - $.63m
G - Lieuwen - $.59m
G - Makarov - $.57m
C - Varone - $.27m

Our cap for next season sits now at $46m with $25m in cap space.
Who gets a new deal and who doesn't?

Right now, we're looking at a team consisting of:

-9 90 23
26 15 63
__ __ 12
__ __ __

47 __
-4 46
__ -3

__

Who's ready to make the jump from the minors? From college?

Offer sheets? Trades? Finns at the podium?

I'll hang up and listen
:popcorn:

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
The 2016 Draft right here and a (likely) top 5 pick! Hopefully our selection will join the roster next season, making 1 less roster spot for our current stable of players.

With so many contracts up this summer, who stays and who goes?

According to Spotrac, we have a total of 26 pending UFAs and RFAs. With the TDL approaching it'll be interesting to see who gets shipped out and who ends up sticking, but for the meantime there's this:

Pending notable UFAs
C- Legwand - $3.0m
L - McGinn - $2.95m
D - Weber - $1.66m
G - Johnson - $1.3m

Pending notable RFAs
L - Foligno - $1.87m
D - Ristolainen - $.92m
D - McCabe - $.91m
C - Girgensons - $.89m
C - Larsson - $.80m
D - Ruhwedel - $.65m
L - Deslauriers - $.63m
C - Schaller - $.63m
G - Lieuwen - $.59m
G - Makarov - $.57m
C - Varone - $.27m

Our cap for next season sits now at $46m with $25m in cap space.
Who gets a new deal and who doesn't?

Right now, we're looking at a team consisting of:

-9 90 23
26 15 63
__ __ 12
__ __ __

47 __
-4 46
__ -3

__

Who's ready to make the jump from the minors? From college?

Offer sheets? Trades? Finns at the podium?

I'll hang up and listen
:popcorn:

#1 Risto long term for 6ish mil per
#2 McGinn 2x3.5
#3 Draft Pulj or Laine, if we get Matthews great but not counting on it
#4 Get Foligno, Girg, Larsson, McCabe, Des on bridge deals
#5 Package Ennis++ for a #2-3 LD between 23-28
#6 Try to sign a 2nd line RW (Okposo, Eriksson)

Fringe playoff team if we get solid goaltending. The #1 goal this offseason should be to get secondary scoring for lines 2/3

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Name players, or statements like "Enns for a top four LD (you know, the thing that's as much of a need as top 6 forwards)" mean less than nothing.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
"#2 McGinn 2x3.5"

McGinn is going to get more for a lot longer. It's reason #1 I want to trade him at the deadline. Reason #2 is that he's not really that good anyway. He just get offensive minutes and top PP time.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
"#2 McGinn 2x3.5"

McGinn is going to get more for a lot longer. It's reason #1 I want to trade him at the deadline. Reason #2 is that he's not really that good anyway. He just get offensive minutes and top PP time.
Are you watching the same team.McGinn has been a real bastered to play against. He gives it his all every shift.I would take a team of 12 McGinns before #12 or 26

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
I wouldn't be surprised to see McGinn sign a modest deal in the Ennis range, and on a sidenote I think McGinn's play resembles what we can expect from Girgensons going forward in his new role:naughty:

Risto is about to get paid, no doubt, I also really like the idea that TM should offersheet a LHD partner for him like
Maatta, Lindholm, maybe Dumba or Wotherspoon(cgy), Oleksiak (dal)?

While Gionta has exceeded expectations, Moulson really doesn't have much to show for his time here and Murray's re-signing him. Is a return to the Isles this summer unrealistic?

Last edited:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised to see McGinn sign a modest deal in the Ennis range, and on a sidenote I think McGinn's play resembles what we can expect from Girgensons going forward in his new role:naughty:

Risto is about to get paid, no doubt, I also really like the idea that TM should offersheet a LHD partner for him like
Maatta, Lindholm, maybe Dumba or Wotherspoon(cgy), Oleksiak (dal)?

While Gionta has exceeded expectations, Moulson really doesn't have much to show for his time here and Murray's re-signing him. Is a return to the Isles this summer unrealistic?

This. I'd also add Ryan Murray from Columbus. They're going to be in a tough situation this off-season cap-wise.

Pittsburgh could also be vulnerable. Anaheim will find the room to match. They have movable contracts/trade options.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
#2 McGinn 2x3.5

Fringe playoff team if we get solid goaltending. The #1 goal this offseason should be to get secondary scoring for lines 2/3

Foligno is coming off his bridge contract. So any deal with Foligno almost certainly has to buy UFA years. I'm not sure if he's arbitration eligible, but that is also a potential scenario if he is. Same with Des, although he'll probably be a bit cheaper.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think a trade centered around Kane for Brodin would be good for the team.

I doubt Kane is dealt. And listening to past Murray conversations on WGR you can basically infer that...

1. He would not be "afraid" of the retaliation that would possibly come from offer sheeting and RFA

2. He see's the unrestricted free agents that reach July 1st as seemingly less and less talented each year, which leads to players getting overblown contracts for past achievements when many of those said players are close to, or already at, the downward cycle of their career production.

3. It was part of the reason they kept their own picks when trading picks throughout the past couple seasons.

4. It's becoming the only way besides drafting high, trading, and development, to get talent that is both young and elite.

That is why I see this as not a possibility, but a likelihood if not this season, then in the future.

Last edited:

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Preface: Any upcoming UFA gets dealt for picks, except possibly Chad Johnson, in order to keep Ullmark playing games in the AHL and having a "replacement level" player behind Lehner. I'll assume a 2nd for McGinn, but that's about it.

1. Sign Hudson Fasching to an entry level contract, get him some games with the Sabres and have him hopefully help the Amerks get to the playoffs.

2. Re-sign Ristolainen. 8yrs. $48-54. I'm comfortable with it, I'd guess it'll be around $50. $6.25M aav cap hit.

3. Re-Sign Girgensons. If it's me, I try to do like Arizona did with Martin Hanzal, something like 6yrs. $21M. $3.5M aav cap hit.

4. Re-sign Larsson. I'd also like to get him to a longer deal at a cheaper rate. Could something like 5yrs $12.5M work? $2.5M cap hit? If not maybe just 4yrs. $10M. $2.5M cap hit to me is his real value anyways.

5. Re-Sign Pysyk. Bridge, 3yrs, $8M. $2.67M aav cap hit.

6. Re-Sign Foligno. Short term, maybe 2yrs. $4M. $2M aav cap hit

7. Re-Sign McCabe. 3yr deal, $6M. $2M aav cap hit? If he becomes the player we want him to be, that'll be a bargain during the last year and he'd still be under team control for a year I believe.

8. Re-Sign Deslauriers. 2yrs. $2M. $1M cap hit?

9. Re-Sign Varone, Schaller, Ruhwedel and Makarov to 2-way deals and put em in Rochester. Let Lieuwen go, sign Johannson to entry level deal.

Note: I want to roll 3 scoring lines. We should be able to roll 3 offensive lines, and a 4th line that is similar to most teams 3rd line. I want to add 2 LHD to the roster, and at least one forward, if not two, to the roster as well.

10. At the deadline, trade Tyler Ennis & Brendan Guhle (or Will Borgen) for Mirco Mueller and Tyler Wingels. Basically downgrading from Ennis to Wingels in order to upgrade from Guhle or Borgen to Mueller. Mueller has a lot of raw talent and could start the season in Rochester before coming up if he's not quite ready, he helps to speed up the timeline on the back end, without being a guy who is getting big money. And if he's not ready, we have McCabe & Gorges on the left, plus Bogosian is showing he can flip to play with Ristolainen. But that won't be necessary because...

11. Offer sheet Ryan Murray for 6yrs. $33M. $5.5M aav. Would give up our own 2017 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks. It might sting, but we have three 3rd rounders this season, and two in 2017, plus if we get another 2nd or 3rd for McGinn, that mitigates it as well. Columbus is in a tight situation with Murray, Boone Jenner, and Seth Jones all due new contracts, having some suspect big deals already out to forwards like Nick Foligno, Scott Hartnell, Brandon Saad, Brandon Dubinsky, and David freaking Clarkson, along with
Defensemen Fedor Tyutin, and a $2.95M pay increase going to David Savard. Not to mention a goalie who makes nearly $7.5M and its a tough situation in Ohio. They're a prime target for an RFA offer sheet, and Murray is not scared to do it.

12. Sign a free agent winger... I know I just chastised the UFA process, but there are some interesting guys available. I'd be interested in Boedker for $5.75M/yr or less, no more than 5 yrs. Backes or Staal at no more than 3 yrs. I'd overpay big for Backes, maybe $6.5M/yr and probably $5M for Staal, Loui Eriksson would be a possiblity as well if he'd entertain the Backes term/money. I have a feeling that the older three (Staal/Backes/Eriksson) will want to sign with teams that are contending now as opposed to in the short future, but cap space is limited and the cap in general isn't going up much. A step down would be guys like Purcell, or even McGinn. Getting McGinn back at something like 3yrs $10M, $3.3M aav cap hit would be a nice deal. Seems to like the club, is good friends with O'Reilly, might want to come back this way.
I would stay away from Stamkos, the cap will be way too high for a player like that.

I would rate my desire for said players as
Boedker, Backes, Staal, Eriksson, McGinn, Purcell... so let's say the fact we have $, a good owner, an up and coming city, and an up and coming core group (Eichel, Ristolainen, O'Reilly & Reinhart) allow us to sign Staal, but we overpay 3yrs. $18M. Keeps him close to Toronto, but he's enjoyed anonymity in Carolina so many years, and seen his brother in NY that he wants a hockey market, but not hometown, hockey mecca Toronto, especially since Toronto is going to spend their efforts trying to get Stamkos.
So...
Eric Staal, 3yrs. $18M- $6M aav cap hit

13. We're currently playing better than before Christmas, but injuries are hurting the forward ranks now after the defense was hit in the first half. This team lacks he depth to withstand those types of losses (Girgensons, Ennis, and now Reinhart out, idk for how long, but that's an entire line, half of our top 6). So unfortunately we stay near the cellar. Fortunately that (hypothetically) gets us the #3 pick in the draft. Arizona wins the lottery (Bettman doing all he can to keep that franchise relevant :sarcasm: :laugh: ) so they take Matthews. Edmonton gets the #2 pick, and to the chagrin of everyone takes Laine, leaving Buffalo to take Puljujarvi. With the above additions, Buffalo is able to take best player available, and with Chychrun's shoulder issue, Tkachuk being seen as slightly below the Fins, and Laine & Matthews being gone, Buffalo gets Eichel's wingman for the next 10-15 years, Jesse Puljujarvi.

14. Buffalo trades the 2nd rounder they acquired in trading McGinn (at least, hopefully acquired), and draft Markus Niemelainen, a 6'5" 190lb left-handed national defenseman from Finland currently playing for Saginaw Spirit of the OHL.

15. Chad Johnson is re-signed to a one year contract. Allows Ullmark to get starts in Rochester.

2016-2017 Roster:
L1: Staal-O'Reilly-Wingels
L2: Girgensons-Eichel-Puljujarvi
L3: Kane-Reinhart-Foligno
L4: Deslauriers-Larsson-Gionta
xtras: Moulson, Schaller (Roch), Varone (Roch)

Forward prospects: Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey, Karabacek,

D1: Murray-Ristolainen
D2: Gorges-Bogosian
D3: McCabe-Pysyk
xtras: Franson, Mueller (Roch to start 2016), Ruhwedel (Roch)

Defense prospects:
Niemelainen, Guhle/Borgen(one dealt in Mueller/Ennis deal, preferably Guhle imo), Martin, Stephens, Florentino

Starter- Lehner
Backup- Johnson
Rochester- Ullmark, Makarov, Johannson
Prospects: Pederson, Kasdorf

I think this lineup gets us to the playoffs in 2016-2017. Talent, depth, cap space for the future, solid youth to grow around our talented core of players.

*Also, if we aren't in top-3, draft BPA, and either sign a guy like McGinn or Dale Weise to take that spot next to Eichel until Fasching is ready.

Last edited:

Deleted member 27798

#2 McGinn 2x3.5

I think #3 is a big leap of faith. With the new lottery system in place, it doesn't take much to get bumped out of the bottom 3. I don't see the Sabres finishing dead last. In fact, it wouldn't take much of a run post-allstar break for them to pass several teams.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
16/17 season:

top 9: Eichel, ROR, Kane, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson, ???, ???, ELC winger
4th line: Deslauriers, Schaller, ???
2 extra F: Gionta, Moulson

on the trade block: Ennis
RFA: Foligno
UFA: McGinn, Legwand
Retire/LTIR: McCormick

Defesne: Pysyk, McCabe, Ristolainen, Bogosian, Gorges, Franson
7th Dman: ???

UFA: Weber

Trade 1: Drouin + Carle for Pysyk/McCabe+MIN 2017 2nd/Baptiste/Bailey

Trade 2: Ennis+ Gorges (50%) + 2016 3rd for Ekholm ( or another young LD 23-26 yrs old)

draft: BPA

ende

Dec 12, 2005

Trade 2: Ennis+ Gorges (50%) + 2016 3rd for Ekholm ( or another young LD 23-26 yrs old)

None of those trades ever happen, nor should they.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I dont think we should make too many moves. Let players grow together, draft well. Fill in role players.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
16/17 season:

top 9: Eichel, ROR, Kane, Reinhart, Girgensons, Larsson, ???, ???, ELC winger
4th line: Deslauriers, Schaller, ???
2 extra F: Gionta, Moulson

on the trade block: Ennis
RFA: Foligno
UFA: McGinn, Legwand
Retire/LTIR: McCormick

Defesne: Pysyk, McCabe, Ristolainen, Bogosian, Gorges, Franson
7th Dman: ???

UFA: Weber

draft: BPA

No way I trade for Drouin. If he works out on another team, great for him. I wouldn't give up Pysyk + for what might be a headache and a cap dump.

Without getting into UFA/RFA signings, I think we should Offersheet Maatta and draft a winger. Or package our 1st with Ennis for a good young 1st line winger if possible.
We never trade with the Penguins, and they strapped themselves in cap space.

Last edited:

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Staying healthy is more important than anything we add.
Finding a way to get 12,26,4,6 off the lineup is your best bet but obviously extremely unlikely.

I think a big reason of our improvement next year will be our younger players getting better versus who we added.

Although we need to sign 1-3 big/tier 2 guys to add to our lineup.

If we finish bottom 5, I could see Reinhart possibly getting moved for a top pairing defenseman, and subsequently using that top 5 pick to replace Reinhart. (Yes we almost traded Reinhart once) or just draft Chyncrun/Joelvi(sp)

I think we absolutely make the playoffs next year. Just get us a couple more solid guys to fill our lineup out with and some maybe blessing of good health and we should be okay.

I think we coulda been battling for a wild card spot if they were healthier all year. If they keep winning 4/6 or maybe 8/10 as we get healthier might make the last couple weeks interesting.

Next year we will clinch a spot soundly.

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
Too early for this for me. Our offseason really hinges on whether we draft a forward or D

LottoPlease

Dec 30, 2013
Pegulaville
I dont think we should make too many moves. Let players grow together, draft well. Fill in role players.
Apologies for my misleading wording in the thread title, I meant more along the lines of assessing the current roster to determine which of the pending FAs we should be keeping. I'm in favor of a primarily homegrown-talent filled roster and don't believe we need to make many (if any) more significant trades. Shipping out pending FAs we don't intend to re-sign is one thing, but "hockey trades" for the sake of shaking things up isn't something I see as beneficial for the team at this point unless anyone starts slipping.
Staying healthy is more important than anything we add.
Finding a way to get 12,26,4,6 off the lineup is your best bet but obviously extremely unlikely.

I think a big reason of our improvement next year will be our younger players getting better versus who we added.

Although we need to sign 1-3 big/tier 2 guys to add to our lineup.

This, as long as the guys we're counting on can stay healthy OR we have suitable fill-ins waiting for the chance to prove themselves I think we're set for success.

Addition of an elite winger via the draft and a top pairing LHD like Maatta or Murray will be key this summer.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
If they are subtracting, they have to have viable/reliable players replacing them.

Don't you know that all we have to do is get rid of "the bums" and sign "whoever is half decent in college or the ahl" as filler and we'd be great?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Apologies for my misleading wording in the thread title, I meant more along the lines of assessing the current roster to determine which of the pending FAs we should be keeping. I'm in favor of a primarily homegrown-talent filled roster and don't believe we need to make many (if any) more significant trades. Shipping out pending FAs we don't intend to re-sign is one thing, but "hockey trades" for the sake of shaking things up isn't something I see as beneficial for the team at this point unless anyone starts slipping.

This, as long as the guys we're counting on can stay healthy OR we have suitable fill-ins waiting for the chance to prove themselves I think we're set for success.

Addition of an elite winger via the draft and a top pairing LHD like Maatta or Murray will be key this summer.
I want pretty much everyone back. I think this team gets along very well. UFA's and Rfa's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad