GDT: 2016 NHL Entry Draft

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I like Tufte and Point picks the most from this draft... we will see in a few years

Same here, although I didn't really follow much of the prospects this year, so I don't really know much about any of them.

We've picked some wingers with speed and size at least

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
You guys will love Colton Point. I go to Colgate University so I'll come back throughout the season to give you guys some updates on him. He's good enough to be our starter right away, but we have a senior goalie who's been starting for three seasons so they might split time due to the respect factor. But yeah, I'll be back once his season gets going.

He has all the tools you look for in a netminder, fun fact. He got the win and stopped 107 shots in a triple OT junior game. Just look up 107 save game, he's the only name that pops up ;)

it's a pretty good read, https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/point-makes-107-saves-in-epic-semifinal-ot-victory-for-trappers-20088

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
You guys will love Colton Point. I go to Colgate University so I'll come back throughout the season to give you guys some updates on him. He's good enough to be our starter right away, but we have a senior goalie who's been starting for three seasons so they might split time due to the respect factor. But yeah, I'll be back once his season gets going.

He has all the tools you look for in a netminder, fun fact. He got the win and stopped 107 shots in a triple OT junior game. Just look up 107 save game, he's the only name that pops up ;)

it's a pretty good read, https://www.baytoday.ca/sports/point-makes-107-saves-in-epic-semifinal-ot-victory-for-trappers-20088

It doesn't look like he will be there next year, plus he's been to a bunch of Erie camps and was drafted by them.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
It doesn't look like he will be there next year, plus he's been to a bunch of Erie camps and was drafted by them.

Colton Point was originally committed to go to Colgate University in 2017/18. With his progress this season Point will be joining Colgate Uni in the 2016/17 season. Point went to one Otters camp, didn't like it and that's why he stayed in the CCHL and will be going the NCAA route instead.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Overall I'd say this was a decent draft for us:

Tufte has huge potential and will be a long term project. Lots of time to build up strength and years of experience in college.

Karlstrom possibly a reach pick, but he seems quite solid in his two way play.

I don't understand the Gardner pick at all, why couldn't they just have signed him as a free agent. Don't see any potential for him personally.

Point seems like a great pick, goalie with good size, and going to college will have plenty of time to develop.

Caamano's stats weren't great, but very young and Flint was a very rough year so has good potential to take a big jump this upcoming year.

Stenqvist = Klingberg v2.0 plz! Worth taking a shot on absolutely

Taking the players going to college is great for getting the extra years of prospect protection instead of needing to sign players after 2 season so Caamano will be the only player we will be required to sign by 2018. Hopefully none of them pull a Vesey on us, but Gardner I'd assume will be signed soon and put in AHL, Point likely all 4 years, and Tufte I could see spending two seasons in College then coming to AHL.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Gardner is about to have his profile raised by players leaving that school, and I believe I read something about his desire to play 4 years. If he has a couple good seasons picking him instead of competing with some other teams for him as a free agent might seem like a wise move given the relatively minor cost.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Stenqvist = Klingberg v2.0 plz! Worth taking a shot on absolutely

Taking the players going to college is great for getting the extra years of prospect protection instead of needing to sign players after 2 season so Caamano will be the only player we will be required to sign by 2018. Hopefully none of them pull a Vesey on us, but Gardner I'd assume will be signed soon and put in AHL, Point likely all 4 years, and Tufte I could see spending two seasons in College then coming to AHL.

Watch Stenqvist turn out to be the best pick we made this year.

Just a gut feeling.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Hey guys, Capitals fan here coming in peace with some insider info on Rhett Gardner.

First off, I know that the pick seems out of left field but there were a lot of teams interested in him, Dallas was actually among the few that did not contact him before the draft. That being said, Jim Nill and Coach Berry are good friends from their playing days and spoke extensively about him.

Obviously, Nill was worried that if he left Gardner that he would be picked by someone else. What I heard was that Montreal was prepared to take him with their next pick and Nill didn't want to take that chance.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that if he hadn't been drafted the Stars would not have been in the running for him in free agency.

He isn't 21 years old, he just turned 20 a couple months ago. He is listed at 6'2 but he is actually 6'3 possibly closer even to 6'4. Looked like a man on the ice during the frozen four this year. It's not often you get prospects with his size and incredible faceoff ability.

What is most over looked about his game is the ability to play anywhere in the lineup. He understands how to play in a shutdown 3rd line role or in a top 6 role with skilled players.

It seems more like he will look to sign after his Junior year, rather than his senior year. He will be featuring more this coming year as a 2nd line centre with the departure of a number of key juniors, and following his stellar play in the final four last year.

Aside from all that, and I know it sounds cliche, but he is VERY excited to be a Dallas Star.

Side note: I'm personally a little envious that you got him, and you guys had a very strong draft this year. I think it's safe to say the Stars are the team I will be rooting for out west for many years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad