GDT: 2016 NHL Entry Draft - rounds 2-7 SAT 6/25 - III

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Timmins says they had a high opinion of Samuel Girard; though apparently not enough to draft him.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
So, just had a chance to go over the draft list. Looks like we got one player over 180 lbs today. Splendid... and we picked Pezzetta off the Wolves instead of LizardSticks? I am disappoint. A lot. I like Bitten and all, but, damn... hurts extra bad after trading away those seconds.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Strangely, just in here do we read and hear how it's unimportant where the kid is from and yet, on any TV station, when an Ontarian is picked by Toronto, Ottawa, when a Buffalo kid was picked by Buffalo...it's a GREAT story.

Why the **** do you guys have so many problems with that? Because idiots journalists are talking about it? How about you start making the diference between those idiots who have NO idea who those prospects and the point that in a crapshoot, you could choose either a guy who played 12 games in the USHS, or a guy who could be ready to sweat blood and tears with maybe a similar or different type of talent, with the idea to play with his childhood team.

Incredible that in the same breath, we are really happy that Bitten had the Habs as his favorite team...but if his name is Boucher, well geez, what waste of a pick he is another franco....

Yes, I want top end players no matter where they are from. Reason why I would NOT have picked Julien Gauthier instead of Sergachev. That would obviously be laughable to explain that. But the day that you are interested in Victor Mete.....maybe you could try to see if you can't acquire picks to get the exact equivalent to it in Samuel Girard. Don't get me wrong, I like Mete and he's one of the only 2 bright lights of today's day. But man....and while I like Shaw, I still believe this was a stupid trade to make.

We needed top end talent, we decided to think to let Teravainen go because Bickell was so much to take for 1 freakin year....and yet are about to open the vault on a 3rd liner, though better than what we have, while dismissing the top end talent STILL available in the 2nd round.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Timmins says they had a high opinion of Samuel Girard; though apparently not enough to draft him.

Quit it, man. The crop from the Q sucked. The only real talent is Dubois. The other 2 (Girard and Laberge) were not availabke at any of the Habs picks, except 9 and there were far better option at this point then them.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Strangely, just in here do we read and hear how it's unimportant where the kid is from and yet, on any TV station, when an Ontarian is picked by Toronto, Ottawa, when a Buffalo kid was picked by Buffalo...it's a GREAT story.

Why the **** do you guys have so many problems with that? Because idiots journalists are talking about it? How about you start making the diference between those idiots who have NO idea who those prospects and the point that in a crapshoot, you could choose either a guy who played 12 games in the USHS, or a guy who could be ready to sweat blood and tears with maybe a similar or different type of talent, with the idea to play with his childhood team.

Incredible that in the same breath, we are really happy that Bitten had the Habs as his favorite team...but if his name is Boucher, well geez, what waste of a pick he is another franco....

Yes, I want top end players no matter where they are from. Reason why I would NOT have picked Julien Gauthier instead of Sergachev. That would obviously be laughable to explain that. But the day that you are interested in Victor Mete.....maybe you could try to see if you can't acquire picks to get the exact equivalent to it in Samuel Girard. Don't get me wrong, I like Mete and he's one of the only 2 bright lights of today's day. But man....and while I like Shaw, I still believe this was a stupid trade to make.

We needed top end talent, we decided to think to let Teravainen go because Bickell was so much to take for 1 freakin year....and yet are about to open the vault on a 3rd liner, though better than what we have, while dismissing the top end talent STILL available in the 2nd round.

I just learned that Bitten is a Franco-Ontarian whose mother is Quebecois.

And as you wrote, the Habs are his favorite team, so this is at least a feel good pick.

void

Jan 5, 2006
People freaking out that the Habs didn't draft a Quebecois have serious issues. I almost feel bad for them.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Please don't bother; I'm fine.

I don't even know who you are.. I haven't read the thread. I was mostly referring to the media. But if you're one of the ones freaking out I think maybe you need to reevaluate why you're a fan of the Habs in the first.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
And for whoever loves to say "Well, you don't know this pick so how the heck can you have an opinion on him..." well just going with past results. Let's look at the guy I and quite a few others on this board had no idea who they were shall we? Not going to count 2014 and 2015 as it's too soon to tell.....but I'm already going to say that Koberstein won't do nothing for us.

Connor Crisp: Fail
Erik Nystrom: Not with us anymore. Though he had a great season this year....so...why isn't he with us?
Can we put Nygren, Pribyl and Sullivan on that list? Well while Pribyl will have another shot.....we still didn't retain him. How about the rest?
John Westin: Not with us.
Bennett, Avtsin, Walsh, Cichy, Simila: How's that looking so far?
Quailer, Trunev, Johnson: Are you still waiting?
Stejskal, Torp, Kishel: You are not waiting for those ones are you?

The last guy we didn't know who did great was....Mark Streit. That's 2004. So based on past experience, guys we don't know about......we won't know about them later on.....

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
I don't even know who you are.. I haven't read the thread. I was mostly referring to the media. But if you're one of the ones freaking out I think maybe you need to reevaluate why you're a fan of the Habs in the first.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll start reevaluating right now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Because none of those other organizations have this caveat for every coach or GM they hire "Hey, it doesn't matter if you suck, have no experience, have done nothing of substance in the NHL in the position you've applied for, or if you've shown in history to be terrible at this job.. as long as you are from Buffalo and speak Regional Buffalo Dialect, we'll hire ya.. All others, need not apply."

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Because none of those other organizations have this caveat for every coach or GM they hire "Hey, it doesn't matter if you suck, have no experience, have done nothing of substance in the NHL in the position you've applied for, or if you've shown in history to be terrible at this job.. as long as you are from Buffalo and speak Regional Buffalo Dialect, we'll hire ya.. All others, need not apply."

You know as well as I do that a "Regional Buffalo Dialect" doesn't carry any cultural history and implications along with it; at least not in comparison to the French fact in Montreal.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
You know as well as I do that a "Regional Buffalo Dialect" doesn't carry any cultural history and implications along with it; at least not in comparison to the French fact in Montreal.

Yes, but if someone is putting their cultural history and implications on a sports entertainment franchise then... I don't know what to tell them, because that's ridiculous.

checkerdome

Oct 31, 2006
Yes, but if someone is putting their cultural history and implications on a sports entertainment franchise then... I don't know what to tell them, because that's ridiculous.

It isn't ridiculous when you see how much the identity of Quebecois has been tied into that of the Montreal Canadiens over the years.

Surely you don't believe the Richard riots were ONLY about hockey!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

And that's exactly what I'm saying. You guys hate the messengers. Forget about them and get the message. And again, people need to stop inventing things like....I guess we should have picked Girard instead of Sergachev....of course not. But as I prove with my other post, guys that you, I and the worst hockey junkies of them all have NO IDEA who they are.....chances are you will never see them play either with the big club. Might as well get a kid from here at one point and time who actually might work harder at becoming a NHL 'cause he could actually dream in playing for his childhood dream team.

Don't worry though. In no time, the Montreal Canadiens will stop being any childhood dream team even for Quebecers.

Some people in here keeps saying how choosing Quebecers is solely and always only due to the franco factor.....how's that not even worst than the ones who want more Quebecers on the team? How many jokes have we already read about the fact that Bitten speaks french...did we already read how "that had to come into play...."? People who don't want it to be political makes it awfully political too.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It isn't ridiculous when you see how much the identity of Quebecois has been tied into the Montreal Canadiens over the years.

That sure was a long time ago...

You've been doing that for years around here.

Uh, I have 0 patriotism. I don't give a **** about my language, my country, my province and I am going to be super pissed when we re-name a street here after Sidney Crosby as I believe all of that is separate from a sport.

void

Jan 5, 2006
It isn't ridiculous when you see how much the identity of Quebecois has been tied into the Montreal Canadiens over the years.

It's irrelevant now. Only a small vocal minority cares about this ridiculous issue. Most people realize that in order to win the cup, you need to have the best players/coaches available. Culture/language doesn't win you ****.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Why would you spend picks to move-up in order to acquire, in your own words, the exact equivalent?

See, this is what makes no sense with people arguing we need to specifically target local guys. What I hate above all else is the "à talent égal, tu prends le québécois" cliché you hear every year. There's no such thing as "talent égal". Scouts make their lists and take whoever is at the top. You don't say "well there's this guy we had 34th overall that we really liked, but then again there's this LOCAL guy that's also available that we ranked 40th. Yeah, that's the deal breaker, let's pick the guy we rank as a worse player because he speaks French and he'll please the clueless doofus among the media and fanbase".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad