2016 NHL Entry Draft - 12 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Laughable. Its like people just say "D-MAN LETS GOOOOO" take a lap will ya. He isn't a top 3 talent in ANY capacity in the 2016 draft.

I'm with you. This guy is not a top 4 pick, as he's nowhere close to the same prospect on the level of Doughty, Hedman, Ekblad, Pronger, or legit top 4 defense picks.

He's closer to what Ryan Murray or Erik Johnson were as prospects.
Highly rated who went way too high.

I don't know how he's still in the conversation for our pick. Yes, we need defense, but that doesn't mean he's the guys we need. We can pick up a great defense prospect with our second pick or with our 2nd.

Personally I think Sergachev is a LOT more impressive and would take him over Chychryn without hesitation

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I'm with you. This guy is not a top 4 pick, as he's nowhere close to the same prospect on the level of Doughty, Hedman, Ekblad, Pronger, or legit top 4 defense picks.

I don't know how he's still in the conversation for our pick. Yes, we need defense, but that doesn't mean he's the guys we need. We can pick up a great defense prospect with our second pick or with our 2nd.

Personally I think Sergachev is a LOT more impressive and would take him over Chychryn without hesitation

Erik Johnson put up 33pts in 69 games as a rookie. He looked like a undeniable future stud but messed up his knee shortly after and was never really the same. I hate this argument that Johnson was always a bad pick and people never bring up how good he looked in his rookie season and the injury that followed.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Whats the low down on Jake Bean? RHD, 56 points (22 goals) in 59 games. Isnt riding anyones coattails as he's second on his team in scoring, and even then the only guy ahead of him is a forward with 62 points. He's 6'1, so size isnt an issue. Scouting reports say he's a good skater, has poise, hockey sense,

Any chance he's ranked lower just because he's a late bloomer? Wasnt drafted into the WHL, and scouts often seem to take a very long time to change their opinions on prospects.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Whats the low down on Jake Bean? RHD, 56 points (22 goals) in 59 games. Isnt riding anyones coattails as he's second on his team in scoring, and even then the only guy ahead of him is a forward with 62 points. He's 6'1, so size isnt an issue. Scouting reports say he's a good skater, has poise, hockey sense,

Any chance he's ranked lower just because he's a late bloomer? Wasnt drafted into the WHL, and scouts often seem to take a very long time to change their opinions on prospects.

Well...I mean he does play with Travis Sanheim arguably the best offensive d man in the WHL. But Bean is extremely talented in his own right. Hes an offensive d man for sure but hes smart defensively and is good with his angles and positioning. Definitely has potential to be a great puck moving d man. I personally dont see stud 1st pairing d man potential though. The upside is there but i see him being a Fowler/Shattenkirk type d man.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well...I mean he does play with Travis Sanheim arguably the best offensive d man in the WHL. But Bean is extremely talented in his own right. Hes an offensive d man for sure but hes smart defensively and is good with his angles and positioning. Definitely has potential to be a great puck moving d man. I personally dont see stud 1st pairing d man potential though. The upside is there but i see him being a Fowler/Shattenkirk type d man.

Sure, he plays with Sanheim, but Calgary really isnt loaded with high end offence. And Beans goal production is much higher than Sanheims, and overall point production isnt all that much lower (higher total points, lower PPG).

For comparison, Juolevi plays on London with the likes of Marner, Tkachuk, Dvorak, etc, and only has 31 points on the season. Im not saying Bean > Juolevi, I fully acknowledge that I dont watch much of the CHL. Just wondering if there's a noticeable flaw to Bean's game, the scouting reports always seem way too positive/optimistic, so hard to get a good objective read.

Thanks for the insight.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Fabbro is going to be a beast on the PP with that elite shot.
He would actually complement Rielly very well seeing Rielly is more of a passer and Fabbro a shooter. Has alot of Kevin Shattenkirk in his game but better shot.

Matthews + Fabbro is my best case scenario in the first round.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Fabbro is going to be a beast on the PP with that elite shot.
He would actually complement Rielly very well seeing Rielly is more of a passer and Fabbro a shooter. Has alot of Kevin Shattenkirk in his game but better shot.

Matthews + Fabbro is my best case scenario in the first round.

I like the Shattenkirk comparison for Fabbro. Still very raw though and has a ton of developing to do like most prospects.

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010
If we get Mathews i want Bean with the Pens pick, if not maybe Mcleod if he drops enough.

MapleLeaf

Sep 29, 2015

yes +1

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I wouldn't take a defenseman in general with our top 10 pick. I think we can hit on D from 20-100

I would in a lot of drafts. This one im a little hesitant on, the top guys (Chychrun and Juolevi) just dont seem to be Doughty, Pietrangelo, Jones, Hanifan, Ekblad, Hedman, etc calibre guys.

Unfortunately there also arent any legit cant miss centres after Matthews either. We're loaded at the wing, and thats what the top 10 seems to be strongest in.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I would in a lot of drafts. This one im a little hesitant on, the top guys (Chychrun and Juolevi) just dont seem to be Doughty, Pietrangelo, Jones, Hanifan, Ekblad, Hedman, etc calibre guys.

Unfortunately there also arent any legit cant miss centres after Matthews either. We're loaded at the wing, and thats what the top 10 seems to be strongest in.

This is true, but at the same time, some the wingers would bring elements that we are lacking in (e.g. high skill level combined with size).

I would also ideally love to get a defenceman if we don't land Matthews, but if none of them are as good as the forwards, then we have to draft a forward.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This is true, but at the same time, some the wingers would bring elements that we are lacking in (e.g. high skill level combined with size).

I would also ideally love to get a defenceman if we don't land Matthews, but if none of them are as good as the forwards, then we have to draft a forward.

The size + skill element is needed. Excluding the top 3, Dubois looks pretty interesting. Im not huge on Tkachuk, but he'd also be an option.

Another option is trading down. Leafs traded a 2nd + 3rd in 2008 to move form 7th OA to 5th OA. What could we get for trading down from say 4th OA to 10th OA? Presumably decently more than that, then take a guy like Sergachev. For the right price, it could be worth it, as long as our scouts like the guys in the ~8-12 range.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015

Loaded yes but Laine/Puljujarvi becomes the second best winger they have assuming Marner is first.

Could any team stop: Marner Nylander Laine/Puljujarvi

;)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Loaded yes but Laine/Puljujarvi becomes the second best winger they have assuming Marner is first.

Could any team stop: Marner Nylander Laine/Puljujarvi

;)

Absolutely, if we're 2nd or 3rd OA, we take one of those guys.

Im more talking about if we're sitting at 4th-5th. At that point its very murky as to who's BPA, there seems to be a group of about 4, maybe 5 guys. And on top of that the gap between them and the guys available around ~8th-10th OA doesnt seem overly big, if we wanted to explore trading down.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Jake Bean is left handed by the way.

Hockeydb has him as R, just checked some other sites, and yea, looks like LHD. Thats not the first time ive seen hockeydb get this stuff wrong. Like I said, dont really watch WHL living in Ontario.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Hockeydb has him as R, just checked some other sites, and yea, looks like LHD. Thats not the first time ive seen hockeydb get this stuff wrong. Like I said, dont really watch WHL living in Ontario.

That's because Bean plays the right side. Well he can at least. That's why.

And again, it doesn't matter what hand he is. We're not drafting based off what hand a player is. You draft best player available, then you worry about which hand everyone is when it actually becomes a problem.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
The size + skill element is needed. Excluding the top 3, Dubois looks pretty interesting. Im not huge on Tkachuk, but he'd also be an option.

Another option is trading down. Leafs traded a 2nd + 3rd in 2008 to move form 7th OA to 5th OA. What could we get for trading down from say 4th OA to 10th OA? Presumably decently more than that, then take a guy like Sergachev. For the right price, it could be worth it, as long as our scouts like the guys in the ~8-12 range.

So London scored 7 goals tonight and Tkachuk didnt even register 1 and I decided to look at his game log.

He had a 4 goal night on Feb 2nd.

Outside of that great game he's only scored a goal in 6 of his previous 24 games. Thats like a 16 goal pace over his last 2 months.

His lack of goal scoring for someone playing on a absolutely stacked line is very concerning.

He's someone I'd be looking at drafting at #10, not a top 5 pick.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
So London scored 7 goals tonight and Tkachuk didnt even register 1 and I decided to look at his game log.

He had a 4 goal night on Feb 2nd.

Outside of that great game he's only scored a goal in 6 of his previous 24 games. Thats like a 16 goal pace over his last 2 months.

His lack of goal scoring for someone playing on a absolutely stacked line is very concerning.

He's someone I'd be looking at drafting at #10, not a top 5 pick.

Yeah I have no interest in seeing him drafted in the top 5 or 6. I'd much rather Nylander at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad