Prospect Info: 2016 NHL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I would think that conditional third would have to do with Ruutu resigning with the Devils.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be until 2017 otherwise.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I may have been talking too much about him, but Logan Brown has been playing some very impressive hockey lately. Don't know if I'd draft him, but he's got to be ranked near our pick.

Last edited:

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Nylander has become my top pick at where we're at. Hopefully he falls but he's looking really good right now so I really doubt it. I'll take a stab at a mock draft:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujärvi
4. Dubios
5. Chychrun
6. Tkachuk
7. Nylander
8. Juolevi
9. Sergachyov
10. *Where we'll probably end up*

The top guys left are: Bean, Keller, McAvoy, McLeod, Jost, Fabbro, Gauthier, Rubstov and a few others.

From that list I think my order has been changing but Keller, Jost and McAvoy are my top 3. Really love McAvoy's game.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Nylander has become my top pick at where we're at. Hopefully he falls but he's looking really good right now so I really doubt it. I'll take a stab at a mock draft:

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujärvi
4. Dubios
5. Chychrun
6. Tkachuk
7. Nylander
8. Juolevi
9. Sergachyov

The top guys left are: Bean, Keller, McAvoy, McLeod, Jost, Fabbro, Gauthier, Rubstov and a few others.

From that list I think my order has been changing but Keller, Jost and McAvoy are my top 3. Really love McAvoy's game.

Nylander is my favorite but I don't think he falls. Maybe Shero and Castron like him enough to trade up a few spots. If not I'm hoping for Rubtsov.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujärvi
4. Dubios
5. Chychrun
6. Tkachuk
7. Nylander
8. Juolevi
9. Sergachyov

In that scenario, I take McLeod hands down. Jost and Keller as the two back up options. Defense honestly may be more of a need at this point than forward. It's close enough that the pick should just be bpa. Sergachyov is tempting if he's there at 10. I don't see Chychrun or Juolevi making it to that spot.

dzubrus8

Jun 15, 2014
If Jakob Chychrun is available at the Devils' pick and Nylander/Tkachuk are off the board, I go with Chychrun. The guy is going to be really good. I'm a Sarnia fan and I love what I see from him. Could be that stabilizing top-2 LHD for when Andy Greene calls it quits.

Also, on the topic of the 2017 3rd round pick from the Ruutu trade, the Hurricanes' beat writer confirmed the Devils will be transferring that pick. I can't find the tweet but I'm certain of that.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If Jakob Chychrun is available at the Devils' pick and Nylander/Tkachuk are off the board, I go with Chychrun. The guy is going to be really good. I'm a Sarnia fan and I love what I see from him. Could be that stabilizing top-2 LHD for when Andy Greene calls it quits.

Also, on the topic of the 2017 3rd round pick from the Ruutu trade, the Hurricanes' beat writer confirmed the Devils will be transferring that pick. I can't find the tweet but I'm certain of that.

We'll be picking at 11 or 12. There's no way Chychrun is still on the board at that point. I know he's fallen from October, but he isn't going to fall that far.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
watch us take sergachev. shero is known to have a penchant for drafting PMDs

These are the only 2 defenseman I'd be willing to take. I like Juolevi too, just not enough to take him with our 1st and also not enough over Sergachyov and Chychrun.

Also, holy hell if Chychrun falls to us we might get some incredible trade offers for our pick. Chychrun was all over the ice last night and is just a beast. His stock has dropped this season, whether I like or not, but he's going to be incredible. I think at that point, unless the trade offers blow Shero away, I'd happily take Chychrun.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Why would we take a D man that, if picked anywhere near 10, is 2-4 yrs away?
There are a handful of UFA D that while costly, could be good adds.
Also the prospect pool, while better more recently, is still pretty bare. How does drafting a d guy help that?

WONT GET:
Jacob Chychrun-Columb
Olli Juolevi-Ariz

PROBABLY WONT GET:
Mikhail Sergachev-Likely Mont

LIKELY TO GET:
Jake Bean
Dante Fabbro

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Also the prospect pool, while better more recently, is still pretty bare. How does drafting a d guy help that?

Old adage of drafting the best guy and sorting it out later. Nashville in 2013 was probably aiming for a forward, but Seth Jones was unexpectedly there at #4. Less than three years later, Jones was traded for Ryan Johansen. Probably a better end result than them taking Elias Lindholm over Jones.

Some of the worst picks were a result of teams pigeonholing themselves into a certain position. LA badly wanted defense in 2007 and bypassed somebody like Voracek for Thomas Hickey. At the time, LA had plenty of young forwards. Similarly, I remember arguing with an Ottawa fan around 2006 about them bypassing Kopitar for Brian Lee. The Ottawa fan scoffed saying that led the league in goals and had more need for a defenseman. By 2008-09, Ottawa's offense fell off a cliff.

Whoever we're taking (forward or D, at #11-12) is probably a few years away from really being a difference maker. We have no idea what our team might look like after trades/free agency.

Andy Greene is going to be 34 at the start of next season. By the time Chychrun (or whichever D) turns 20, Greene will be 36. The thought of a Chychrun-Larsson long term pairing doesn't sound awful.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can someone list with certainty, our 2016 draft picks?

NJD1
NJD2
OTT3
DET3
NJD4
BOS4
NJD5
NJD6
NJD7

Outside possibility that Toronto gives us back our 3rd as compensation for Lou.

We'll have a clearer picture once the playoffs are over (because one of the conditions on a traded pick from the Ducks to the Sabres is if the Ducks advance to the Conference Finals)

That pick is either going to be Anaheim's or Buffalo's, so it doesn't have much bearing on us. Naturally I don't think anybody has any qualms now about giving up a 2nd+3rd for Palmieri.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Why would we take a D man that, if picked anywhere near 10, is 2-4 yrs away?
There are a handful of UFA D that while costly, could be good adds.

WONT GET:
Jacob Chychrun-Columb
Olli Juolevi-Ariz

PROBABLY WONT GET:
Mikhail Sergachev-Likely Mont

LIKELY TO GET:
Jake Bean
Dante Fabbro

Forward prospects: Blandisi, Boucher, Zacha, Wood, Speers, Quenneville, Coleman.

Defense prospects: Santini, Jacobs.

That's why you consider taking a defenseman.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Forward prospects: Blandisi, Boucher, Zacha, Wood, Speers, Quenneville, Coleman.

I'd include White in our defense as well but that's besides the point.

Go with BPA and solve problems later. If we have an influx of forwards then we can deal with that problem if it arises.

The chance that Wood, Zacha, JQ, Boucher, Speers, Coleman and Blandisi all become NHL players is slim to none. I'd take 4 as top 9 guys(Zacha, JQ, Boucher, Blandisi, just guessing). That's somewhat realistic but if there's 3 guys who end up on the third line(Boucher, JQ, Blandisi, also possible) and then we still have a need for forwards.

We can't say we're in a good position at forward and draft defenseman because it looks somewhat bleak now. 3 years ago we were talking about Helgeson, Gelinas, Merrill and Urbom as if we were loaded and ready to rock and roll.

As a somewhat side note: I think Santini and Jacobs will actually be NHL players as well. They could both be top 4 guys, Jacobs has taken a huge step forward and Santini is Santini, he's too smart to not play even if it's a bottom 4 guy.

The point being: we draft who's the best because things can change dramatically in a short period(Kovy, Parise and Clarkson leaving is a perfect example).

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
In a semi-recent draft, I remember Washington having an impromptu huddle/discussion as they were on the clock in 2012. Filip Forsberg inexplicably was available at #11 and the impression seemed to be that was a scenario they hadn't planned for (they didn't have a nameplate). Eventually they decided that they had to take him even if that wasn't their intention.

Obviously they could have done better with Forsberg post-draft, but if somebody falls into your lap, you have to disregard immediate need and take him.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Except there's no way Bean or Fabbro is BPA where we pick. The forwards around there are simply better prospects - and we still need forwards.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

We have 1, 1 RW prospect in the pipeline
We have 3 LWs who are currently playing
4 C's that probably play at NHL level
and 8 D (2 you spoke of and most of the others projected to play or are playing high level/Devils callup already

So as I said if you cant get the top 2 D you go after BPA @ #10-11, I would take Gauthier 6'3" 220 RW, before any of the D men available at that time. Hell I would take Rubstov maybe even Bellow before taking D in mid round.
Second/Third round can grab a d man or two or 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad