GDT: 2016 NHL Draft – Rounds 1-7: Complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I was thinking if you say Vesey's name fast it can come off as feces, now we have a player named Pu which is pronounced like Poo. The toilet humor when both are on the ice could be epic. :laugh:

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
So the theme today seemed to be speed, speed, speed, and mostly forwards. I'm assuming they're super high on Guhle and Borgen, and they must think they got a free 5-6 in Nelson.

Getting a kid in the second with a first-round ranking on many charts might be the highlight.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So the theme today seemed to be speed, speed, speed, and mostly forwards. I'm assuming they're super high on Guhle and Borgen, and they must think they got a free 5-6 in Nelson.

Getting a kid in the second with a first-round ranking on many charts might be the highlight.
We have the size from the last 2 drafts but if anything Pittsburgh showed you that skill is good enough to win a cup over size (Sharks). I always said we need a healthy mix of high octane skill and big grit sprinkled throughout the line-up and with this draft I think they accomplished that. Rather than building one identity (size or skill) we are adding the best of both and going with a hybrid team makeup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I like the Budik pick -- possible third round ratings in the 5th.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
So... we picked almost all forwards?

3rd, 86th: Casey Fitzgerald (RHD)
5th, 129th: Philip Nyberg (RHD)
5th, 130th: Vojtech Budik (LHD)
7th, 189th: Austin Osmanski (LHD)

4 of our 6 picks last year were defensemen. Lower ratio this year, but same total taken. Long-term we needed to restock all positions. That's been well-addressed between 2015 and 2016 imo with Asplund, Pu, and Estephan -- not to mention Eichel and Nylander -- up front and Guhle, Borgen, and Fitzgerald in the backend. Then there are the additions of Nelson and possibly Vesey to the pro-aged prospect pool.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
You can sign undrafted talent right?

There are certain criteria the player has to meet. I don't have those handy, perhaps dot can chime in.

Players who are no longer eligible for future drafts become free agents. Beyond that, any player who played the previous season in North America (and it must be the entire previous season, using the Vladimir Tkachev precedent) may be signed between the draft and start of the regular season (18/19 year olds must be signed before the start of the Major Junior season, unless they are signed to an NHL try-out form). Players who played hockey in Europe during the previous season need to have been 22 or older at the time of the draft and sign before the start of the NHL season.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Keep an eye on Guhle. I watched a couple of his games in Rochester and he sure looked like he could come in and play at the NHL level this coming season. Speed was essential to inject into this team, we don't have nearly enough it, as you said moving up and nabbing Asplund while flipping Pysyk for Kulikov was the highlight of the draft for us. Well played by Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad