2016 NCAA Baseball Thread - It's College World Series Time!

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Same. Jumped on Vandy bandwagon years ago and just never looked back. I mean i like them but i don't get upset if they lose.

I'd say same. I rarely root against them. Just a great program that produces players with a lot of skill and makeup.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
One of my favorites, Cole Irvin, starts Friday for Oregon. Well, every Friday, but this will be the first one I catch.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Went to the Eastern Michigan-Arizona State baseball game today at Phoenix Municipal Stadium. Sun Devils won, 8-1, which included the Devils hitting for the cycle in the 6th. :)

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Kyle Funkhouser's decision to go back to school, so far, has not worked out well at all.

It hasn't been a good decision for college juniors not to sign for a few years now with seniors basically being given $10,000-50,000 bonuses to save bonus pool money.

Back in say 2009, he would've been fine with a chance to improve from say 35 to 20 and sign there for the slot but now, he'd be lucky to get $50,000 regardless of where he's drafted (unless some team picks him top 10 or something) just because he has no leverage.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
slide-1.jpg

Just remember, you can't spell CWS without "SC." Go Gamecocks!

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It hasn't been a good decision for college juniors not to sign for a few years now with seniors basically being given $10,000-50,000 bonuses to save bonus pool money.

Back in say 2009, he would've been fine with a chance to improve from say 35 to 20 and sign there for the slot but now, he'd be lucky to get $50,000 regardless of where he's drafted (unless some team picks him top 10 or something) just because he has no leverage.

A top level senior is still getting top level money. Andrew Suarez got picked at 61 last draft and got a cool million.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

You're greatly overselling things here, Funkhouser isn't going to get that little unless his arm literally falls off.

That said he did probably cost himself hundreds of thousands of dollars, possibly half of what he'd have got last year...and that's if his draft stock doesn't continue downward and he doesn't get hurt.

There are situations where I get why a junior would go back into the draft...this wasn't one of those situations.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
You're greatly overselling things here, Funkhouser isn't going to get that little unless his arm literally falls off.

That said he did probably cost himself hundreds of thousands of dollars, possibly half of what he'd have got last year...and that's if his draft stock doesn't continue downward and he doesn't get hurt.

There are situations where I get why a junior would go back into the draft...this wasn't one of those situations.

Yup. Head scratching decision to head back.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If he ends up in the top 30 picks, he won't have cost himself anything. That said, he's not on track to get there if he stays on this track.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If he ends up in the top 30 picks, he won't have cost himself anything. That said, he's not on track to get there if he stays on this track.

I agree there. Point I'm trying to make is that someone in his situation had lot to lose and not really that much to gain by going back.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I agree there. Point I'm trying to make is that someone in his situation had lot to lose and not really that much to gain by going back.

Well, I'm sure he thought he'd be a Puk/Hansen tier pick (just below Groome and Pint) and he just isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad