2016 MLB Prime Time Television Ratings For Each Team

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
It shouldn't be a surprise that the White Sox had low ratings.

Chicago is a large market, but just not as big as NY and LA. The WSox don't have the city to themselves like the Blackhawks and the Bulls do. They're sharing the city with a more popular team that happens to be the best team in baseball. That, and they sucked this year and probably will again next year.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
It shouldn't be a surprise that the White Sox had low ratings.

Chicago is a large market, but just not as big as NY and LA. The WSox don't have the city to themselves like the Blackhawks and the Bulls do. They're sharing the city with a more popular team that happens to be the best team in baseball. That, and they sucked this year and probably will again next year.

True - Oakland has the same problem.

Mets have passed the Yankees but there is an asterisk as Comcast did not carry YES this season which covers a good chunk of Connecticut and New Jersey. Comcast owning 8% of SNY (Mets) plays into that as well.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
So the Mets lead the US with 205,000 per game while the Jays net about a million per game plus?

Pretty amazing. Obviously when your local market is a country of 36,000,000 people you are gonna draw a lot of viewers.

Just saying that the Jays are a top tier market. Drew about 3.5 million fans, third in MLB.

So Rogers better not cheap out. A winning Jays team is every bit as much of a cash cow as the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees, Cardinals or Cubs.

And Rogers... When the Jays are just mediocre or average you are still a pretty good market... But you need to win to be top, top tier. So pay to keep winning.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So the Mets lead the US with 205,000 per game while the Jays net about a million per game plus?

Pretty amazing. Obviously when your local market is a country of 36,000,000 people you are gonna draw a lot of viewers.

Just saying that the Jays are a top tier market. Drew about 3.5 million fans, third in MLB.

So Rogers better not cheap out. A winning Jays team is every bit as much of a cash cow as the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees, Cardinals or Cubs.

And Rogers... When the Jays are just mediocre or average you are still a pretty good market... But you need to win to be top, top tier. So pay to keep winning.

MLB is concerned about the vice grip Rogers has on Canada which is one reason Rob Manfred is hopeful Montreal will soon have a team.

Last year I was flabbergasted at how cheap Rogers could be. They had the absolute right to produce their own telecasts during the playoffs but elected to use the TBS feed. I fully expect Sportsnet will use TBS for the wild card game on Tuesday.

There are several radio stations in Quebec and the Maritimes that wanted to carry the Red Sox and the Jays said no. Same applies in British Columbia with the Mariners.

The Blue Jays even with the currency exchange are a very big market team.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybr...elevision-ratings-for-each-team/#1e9578fc171f

MLB TV local ratings appear decent in most markets but there are a couple of franchises that have hit rock bottom. The White Sox are only averaging 35,000 viewers a game which is actually up 27% from last year.

It's actually 35,000 households.

Down 100% of 2012, last time they were higher than the Cubs.

http://www.shermanreport.com/white-sox-lead-cubs-tv-ratings-chicago-cubs-csn-rating-163-2008/

That 2.0 equals about 70,000 households, with, obviously, more than one viewer per household. Unless every household is like the one from ‘‘Psycho.’’ Two-point-oh is a decent, if not great, number. But here’s the kicker — it’s higher than the Cubs.

That 2.0 equals about 70,000 households, with, obviously, more than one viewer per household. Unless every household is like the one from ‘‘Psycho.’’ Two-point-oh is a decent, if not great, number. But here’s the kicker — it’s higher than the Cubs.

‘‘The Cubs are at a 1.9 rating,’’ Nuich said. ‘‘That’s down about 11 percent from last year.’’

WGN, which also broadcasts Cubs and Sox games, has similar stats. Its recent Sox ratings were 3.6, up 33 percent from earlier August ratings. Cubs broadcast ratings also have been up from earlier this summer (Who knows why? Sadism?), but they are no better than Comcast’s. They are an identical 1.9.

Worth noting that I believe Forbes is only reporting RSN ratings. Over the air games are higher for both.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga

Exactly. If you think about it in the US there are 29 teams for a total national population of 320 million (so ~10 million per team). While in Canada there is one team for a population of 36 million.

Same goes for the Raptors billing themselves as Canada's team as well.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
So how massive would the Jays TV deal be if they weren't owned by Roger's? Rival the Dodgers? Numbers wise should be the biggest in baseball.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
It's not a perfect comparison, but Canada's GDP is over $500 million less than California's. There's going to be a scale difference.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
MLB is concerned about the vice grip Rogers has on Canada which is one reason Rob Manfred is hopeful Montreal will soon have a team.

Last year I was flabbergasted at how cheap Rogers could be. They had the absolute right to produce their own telecasts during the playoffs but elected to use the TBS feed. I fully expect Sportsnet will use TBS for the wild card game on Tuesday.

There are several radio stations in Quebec and the Maritimes that wanted to carry the Red Sox and the Jays said no. Same applies in British Columbia with the Mariners.

The Blue Jays even with the currency exchange are a very big market team.

So I dont have SN but streamed the game online, did SN cheap out on playoffs again?

The concern bit, is that your thought, or read it somewhere?

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca

I'm actually kinda shocked to read that. I thought it was something imposed by MLB, not a money saving venture by Rogers. The TBS product is so much worse than what we get during the regular season.

So I dont have SN but streamed the game online, did SN cheap out on playoffs again?

Yes, they did, for the wild card at least. I would think that if the Jays make it to the WS Finals they'd want to get back into the game. You want your network and its personnel to be a part of those iconic moments that get replayed decades down the road.

Last edited:

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So how massive would the Jays TV deal be if they weren't owned by Roger's? Rival the Dodgers? Numbers wise should be the biggest in baseball.

Not really. Canadian cable laws don't allow for the massive charges a RSN can charge a cable company. But right now the Jays have taken the pressure off Rogers over the NHL deal.

Pretty much a given when and if Montreal gets a team Bell Media will be heavily involved with Expos 2.0 (TSN/RDS)

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I apologize as I was given bad info concerning Rogers.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/l-wild-card-game-draws-massive-television-audience/

Sportsnet said more than nine million Canadians watched some part of Tuesday's broadcast, a U.S. feed from TBS instead of the usual local production featuring Sportsnet's play-by-play crew, led by Buck Martinez.

For the post-season, Martinez and reporter Hazel Mae are essentially relegated to the sidelines for pre- and post-game commentary, with limited opportunities during the game.

That's because of the way regional broadcasting rights are structured, said Moore, who noted that Baltimore fans are restricted to the TBS feeds as well.

"It's the same everywhere in the league," said Moore. "Selfishly, we would prefer, if possible, to have our own broadcasters on it. But contracts are contracts and as a regional rights holder that's our situation."

Canadian viewers actually get more local content than U.S. regional viewers, he said, noting that Sportsnet can do full pre-game coverage on the field.

"In Baltimore they would just pick up the TBS feed and the local rights-holder is not even a part of the equation," he said.

"So in Baltimore or in Texas, they won't see the player introductions, they won't see all the stuff that happens on field that we're able to do because of our relationship and the fact we are both the regional rights-holder and the national carrier of broadcasts."

Sportsnet's coverage continues right through the end of the World Series. For those final games, Sportsnet was given the option of either taking the Fox broadcast or the Major League Baseball International broadcast.

Moore said they'll be taking the international feed because he negotiated to have Martinez as part of that broadcast.

"So regardless of whether the Jays are in the World Series or not, and we hope they are, Buck will be the analyst for the Major League Baseball International broadcast, which goes all around the world," said Moore. "It goes to every English-speaking territory that has Major League Baseball rights."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00