I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
latest

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Maybe the most deserving players should just go?

Players get left off for team limits, voting, and just plain the roster being 35 guys. This won't be the first time it happened.

Just be glad a young star and not a Bryan LaHair made it over him. It's at least worthwhile then.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Players get left off for team limits, voting, and just plain the roster being 35 guys. This won't be the first time it happened.

Just be glad a young star and not a Bryan LaHair made it over him. It's at least worthwhile then.

No one is saying it isn't the first time this has happened or the only case of it this ASG. Young star or not there were more deserving players base don their play this year. That should be the point of the game. Rewarding the players who are having the best season.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
No one is saying it isn't the first time this has happened or the only case of it this ASG. Young star or not there were more deserving players base don their play this year. That should be the point of the game. Rewarding the players who are having the best season.

And what's your point? That fan voting should go away? You don't need to preach to the choir.

SHAR KS

Choking Hazard
Dec 7, 2011
No salt just facts. Addison Russell is now the 2nd worst all star, after Bartolo Colon.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I kept waffling on whether to pony up for good seats for home run derby. Got to work early and had a Lumburgh-esque email waiting for me. I bought the ticket about a minute later.

Futures/celebrity games was fun, especially for the $15 price tag. I believe ESPN is airing the Celebrity game after the Derby tonight. The end is amusing, for those who would enjoy the sight of a 6'7 adult knocking down a child actor.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
And what's your point? That fan voting should go away? You don't need to preach to the choir.

My point is Addison Russell doesn't deserve to be an all-star based on his play. Not really that difficult to grasp. And yeah, I guess fan voting is pretty dumb but it's a way to engage with the fans and make them take more interest in the festivities so I don't see that changing. It's ok for you to admit when someone is a bad choice. You're not going to get fired.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I didn't know defense wasn't a factor, especially at the 2nd most important defensive position.

Ok so Russell is above average defensivley. Still doesnt measure up to Crawford in that department.

You could very easily make strong cases for Espinosa and Cozart being better picks than Russell as well. There's really no defending him getting a selection at all, let alone the starting spot.

Like we all get it. He was voted in. He's going. It's just pretty obvious that he should be based on his play.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

What's most amazing about Bryan LaHair is that the year he made the all star game was also his last year in the majors.

The Cubs cut him that offseason and he was never heard from again.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
My point is Addison Russell doesn't deserve to be an all-star based on his play. Not really that difficult to grasp. And yeah, I guess fan voting is pretty dumb but it's a way to engage with the fans and make them take more interest in the festivities so I don't see that changing. It's ok for you to admit when someone is a bad choice. You're not going to get fired.

I conceded that long ago. Why the hell are you posturing?

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Ok so Russell is above average defensivley. Still doesnt measure up to Crawford in that department.

Okay? I don't know what Brandon Crawford has to do with Addison Russell's quality of play.

You could very easily make strong cases for Espinosa and Cozart being better picks than Russell as well. There's really no defending him getting a selection at all, let alone the starting spot.

Like we all get it. He was voted in. He's going. It's just pretty obvious that he should be based on his play.

Yea, let's take Espinosa - who quite literally is doing a Bryan LaHair impression - with his offensive stats completely propped up by June and the 9 games in July. Cozart is similar as he completely disappeared in May and June. It's very likely that we're talking about these guys as 2nd half dissapointments with how they've gained their success this year.

At the very least, Russell is a young star who will be in this spot again. The MLB gets a chance to showcase him along with his teammates. That's fine. It's why I thought Mazara should be in, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad