2016 Minnesota Wild Offseason Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Oh the dreaded offseason, and it sounds like Fletcher is in denial.

Also, as for the Suter/PP issues, haven't there been a number of times when the PP has done a full change, except Suter doesn't change and the person who was due up to come on as he's coming off just stood there with a "what the hell, man?" look?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Also, as for the Suter/PP issues, haven't there been a number of times when the PP has done a full change, except Suter doesn't change and the person who was due up to come on as he's coming off just stood there with a "what the hell, man?" look?

Oh that has happened PLENTY of times from the games I was at. He also skates soooo lazy on the PP. It takes him 10 seconds just to take it up the ice. Slows everyone down and then the forecheck can't get going and by the time they get to the end boards the puck is already kicked out.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Suter is the modern Doug Harvey: controls the game at his pace. It just doesn't always lead to a lot of scoring in the modern NHL.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Caught a bit of Fletch's presser today while listening to Common, and he was talking about how this was the best year in Wild history from a business standpoint.

Really needed the Bale "Oooh GOOD for you!" sound byte for that one.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com

Being there live and actually looking for it ---- can confirm.

Even the fans were like "uhhhh so....you going to get off the ice at some point?"

I like Suter "quarterbacking" a lot of things, but he doesn't need to be out there for the entire PP, I think that made more sense when they'd play four forwards, but they don't do that as much now, and I'd rather have other guys in with legit shots from the point, plenty of people can pass it around.

Caught a bit of Fletch's presser today while listening to Common, and he was talking about how this was the best year in Wild history from a business standpoint.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Pretty much anything > Business standpoint. [For Fans]

That's essentially THE LAST thing I want to hear out of a franchise I spend thousands of dollars on a year (other than, "Hey, I'm a sexually harassing coward and we are moving").

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley

Me listening to that:

Me+on+facebook+the+movie+http+wwwimdbcom+title+tt0119822_d2c0b8_3848951.gif

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter is the modern Doug Harvey: controls the game at his pace. It just doesn't always lead to a lot of scoring in the modern NHL.

Difference is this (coming for my Dad, who saw him play)- Harvey controlled the play, slowing it down, and SPEEDING IT UP when it suited him. I don't know what his shot was like...it couldn't be worse.

It didn't hurt that he had one of the best forward groups ever to play in the NHL to pass to, either. The Rocket, Beliveau, Geoffrion, Pocket Rocket, Dickie Moore, etc.,etc..

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

He's talking like any GM would. Yes he has to build the team, but he will try to do anything to keep internal issues internal. He has to sell hope to the fanbase. Any GM would say the exact same thing in his shoes. Trust me, Fletcher knows the issues inside that lockerroom more than any of us ever will.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
It sounds like we don't have a problem with the veteranS, but with the veteran.
Doesn't want to share his toys (ice time) and if he is asked to he runs to mama (Leipold) and starts :cry:

Maybe someone could convince me of the opposite?

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

Funny how none of the talking heads of the league seem to think about this when they fawn over how much of a "horse" Suter is. One of the quickest ways in hockey to develop bad blood with another player is if they're an ice hog who's stealing your ice time through their own stubbornness. It absolutely would not surprise me at all if Suter's "impressive ice time" is at least a contributing factor to the Wild's locker room rift.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

He was talking to an audience of one there.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
heard a few replay clips of chuck yesterday. oh everythings wonderful , no troubles under my watch. our group is capable of 100 points! thats the blah blah blah i heard. on a positive he did say he would try an upgrade a player or 2. hopefully that means find a #1C and possibly a rw.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Keep in mind that Fletcher privately knows he needs to make at a minimum 2 very big moves to remain employed.

He's not going to publicly tell all his potential trading partners that he thinks the team is a dumpster fire just to make the fans feel like their frustrations are being heard. He would undercut his own leverage. He needs everybody to think that he won't make a trade if the terms aren't right.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Keep in mind that Fletcher privately knows he needs to make at a minimum 2 very big moves to remain employed.

He's not going to publicly tell all his potential trading partners that he thinks the team is a dumpster fire just to make the fans feel like their frustrations are being heard. He would undercut his own leverage. He needs everybody to think that he won't make a trade if the terms aren't right.

Exactly this...did everyone suddenly forget that GMs constantly use double speak?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN

Yup, I don't get why people are freaking out about how CF spent the whole upcoming summer making no moves when it's not even the offseason yet. Relax everyone.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I don't get all the negative comments. He even made a point to retract his previous statement that they had enough good players, he specifically pointed out that he needs to find upgrades to the current squad in the off-season.

Plus, I don't think major changes just for the sake of it are necessarily the answer, especially if it means weakening our defense. We need a coach who can make the team play better together. People forget this was the best first half in franchise in history. If they play like that in the playoffs, they are a dangerous team and a cup contender. That was his point.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Funny how none of the talking heads of the league seem to think about this when they fawn over how much of a "horse" Suter is. One of the quickest ways in hockey to develop bad blood with another player is if they're an ice hog who's stealing your ice time through their own stubbornness. It absolutely would not surprise me at all if Suter's "impressive ice time" is at least a contributing factor to the Wild's locker room rift.

Didn't Stoner already talk about that after he left the Wild, or am I thinking of someone else?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
heard a few replay clips of chuck yesterday. oh everythings wonderful , no troubles under my watch. our group is capable of 100 points! thats the blah blah blah i heard. on a positive he did say he would try an upgrade a player or 2. hopefully that means find a #1C and possibly a rw.

Probably means that he will replace Stoll with Graovac, and Prosser with Folin.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am guessing that part of the cure for the team's inconsistency will be to move two of the their most inconsistent players, Zucker and Vanek. Not saying I agree with it, but it was pretty obvious that both players weren't on the same page with either Yeo, or Torch.

If we do get rid of those two, our forward group will be even more devoid of any scoring punch. Our top 6 would be Koivu, Parise, Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Haula...actually, that's not too bad. Not a ton of scoring, but some good two way players. No depth at all, though. Who would be on our third line?

Only half kidding, but if we can't make a good trade, can either Reilly or Dumba play forward?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Didn't Stoner already talk about that after he left the Wild, or am I thinking of someone else?

The way he worded his quote, he made it sound like he was more mad at the coaching staff for "giving one player all the time".

“I didn’t like the way it was run in Minnesota,†Stoner said. “They kind of just give one defenseman all the minutes and the rest suffer. And I wasn’t happy there. I don’t think the minutes displayed how I was playing. It was more of the just the way things were run there.â€

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Somehow I think we'd jump into the middle bracket if we just ditched Greenlay for someone competent. LaPanta's decent and unmemorable, but Greenlay is so infuriating he makes you hate them both.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It sounds like we don't have a problem with the veteranS, but with the veteran.
Doesn't want to share his toys (ice time) and if he is asked to he runs to mama (Leipold) and starts :cry:

Maybe someone could convince me of the opposite?
You got a source for this?
Alright, it's what everyone has been waiting for. The 2016 announcer ratings. LaPanta and Greelay ended up at #4. Pretty good.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/the-nhl-local-tv-announcer-rankings.html

4th from the bottom that is. ;)
Absolutely shocked the Sharks' crew wasn't in the top 5. Easily my favorite crew to listen to.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Somehow I think we'd jump into the middle bracket if we just ditched Greenlay for someone competent. LaPanta's decent and unmemorable, but Greenlay is so infuriating he makes you hate them both.
No... he's not at all decent. When you can't stand to watch highlights of your own team because his goal call is like fingernails on a chalkboard, you have issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad