Post-Game Talk: 2016 - Lord Stanley Comes Back Home!!!

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't know.

I look at this team and I think that they need more grit and size.

Someone to fight Tom Wilson especially.

Don’t worry...we’ll be picking up Reaves, Olesiak, JJ and Guds any minute now...give it another year or so and we’ll be so golden with physicality that we’ll easily beat the Caps again in the POs...

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Just imagine if Dupuis had kept his gob shut :help:

i really think the team - particularly the guys who had been around prior to 2015 and most especially the 2009 core - let out a breath when he retired that was much-needed, too. still get the collywobbles thinking what he had to go through trying to keep playing.

Reactions: Clare2904

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
I did watch most of the Preds series, but Game 5 might be one i watch again. Sid dominates.

And Horny scores in Game 7 against the Caps so..... let's go. :laugh:

that Horny goal was SO ugly. And that’s saying something considering what his typical goal looks like. I have no idea how holtby didn’t stop it.

Agreed that kessel should have gotten the Smythe that year. Sid got it because he was Sid and the narrative goes who knows if the Pens ever win one again... like ovy winning it over kuzy. Of course Sid absolutely deserved it in ‘17.

Reactions: ColePens

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Crying-Jordan-Sharks-e1465819190451.jpg.8aa78bdf559adf3690ea45fc073f9cd1.jpg

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People still can't deal with Sid winning this Smythe. Drives them crazy and we'll be hearing(and laughing) about it for the rest of our lives. It's better this way.

It was interesting that the feed we were watching together talked about the CS in between 2/3. And even they were like "Wow it's really open up and could be any one of Sid, Letang, Murray, or Kessel."

So I think no matter WHO got it, it was debatable. 2016 really was a team collaboration. Everybody was playing at an elite unstoppable level.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
People still can't deal with Sid winning this Smythe. Drives them crazy and we'll be hearing(and laughing) about it for the rest of our lives. It's better this way.

The Sidney Crosby naysayers are so damn annoying and it’s always someone with an Caps, Detroit, or Flyers avatar.

“He didn’t deserve that Conn Smythe”. While saying he never shows up in the later rounds.

Then the year he is the pivotal player in the Tampa and Sharks series “he doesn’t deserve the Conn Smythe”.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNT87

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Phil was the winner... I think it was BobbyMac who voted for him and put Sid's name in brackets mentioning if he gets a point in the last 10 minutes of the game. It was that close...

There was a bunch of great players in that run. Not to sound too cocky, but I don't understand how that team lost 8 games during those playoffs. That team was amazing and it would suffocate their opponents time and time again with its speed and skill...

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
The Sidney Crosby naysayers are so damn annoying and it’s always someone with an Caps, Detroit, or Flyers avatar.

“He didn’t deserve that Conn Smythe”. While saying he never shows up in the later rounds.

Then the year he is the pivotal player in the Tampa and Sharks series “he doesn’t deserve the Conn Smythe”.
He folds faster then Superman on laundry day, Purple monkey dishwasher

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
It was interesting that the feed we were watching together talked about the CS in between 2/3. And even they were like "Wow it's really open up and could be any one of Sid, Letang, Murray, or Kessel."

So I think no matter WHO got it, it was debatable. 2016 really was a team collaboration. Everybody was playing at an elite unstoppable level.

It didn't matter to me who got the CS, that's just the cherry on top
But it made me smile because I knew people would be seething it was Sid

People throw out a handful of players: Sid, Geno, Phil, Letang, MM. But I think a guy who was really underrated that run was Bonino for his fine defensive work. Not saying it was CS-worthy, but he had a major impact in his line tilting the ice

If you can make a case for AND against each player listed then it's not a clear cut choice.
Like it or lump it, the media is going to play favorites and Sid is a likable guy. Hell remember when Mario got his CS and he was like "well that's surprising, I figured Barrasso would get it"

No media guy is going to vote for Tommy because he was a dick to everyone.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think Geno was CS worthy in this run but I agree with the sentiment that he maybe deserved a bit more praise. He was kinda cast as a tertiary character for this Cup but I remember him being really good and stronger as the playoffs went on. Considering his shoulder and him taking a a backseat linemate wise to what was already working I thought he was extremely crucial.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Crosby won the Smythe because, with many deserving candidates, media will go with the narrative. Geno had won it in 2009, so Crosby had to have his. He was deserving... as were Letang and Kessel.

Knowing we would Cup the following year and that Sid would be the clear winner then... I would have given it to Letang. A CS would make sure he takes his rightful place at the HHOF one day. League-wide, and even here, he is so underrated. A top 10 D for a decade +.

Oh well, 2016 was magical. What a dominant and fun team to watch.

The crazy ending to game 6 against the Caps, man, I'll never forget that!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Crosby won the Smythe because, with many deserving candidates, media will go with the narrative. Geno had won it in 2009, so Crosby had to have his. He was deserving... as were Letang and Kessel.

Knowing we would Cup the following year and that Sid would be the clear winner then... I would have given it to Letang. A CS would make sure he takes his rightful place at the HHOF one day. League-wide, and even here, he is so underrated. A top 10 D for a decade +.

Yes...loved the feeling of it being a lock to win the cup that year. Hope it happens again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Letang likely makes the HHOF with Zubov making it tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad