Post-Game Talk: 2016 - Lord Stanley Comes Back Home!!!

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rewatching this has just further established that I don't think a single team can beat the 2016 Penguins. They were so f***ing good. They were fast but most importantly they were focused. They stayed out of shit and supported like no other. So here is just some thoughts, plus/minus, and some more thoughts.

Conn Smythe - I think the 2016 CS is up for grabs. Murray, Letang, Kessel, and Geno at least deserved discussion. In 2017 and 2009 I think it was the perfect winner (G/Sid), but man this is really up for discussion.

Who do you think deserved it? Rewatching this - it's Phil Kessel to me. If he scored in Game 6, it is 1000% his. I think he deserved it period.

CLUTCH - So I'm a Hornqvist mark, but it is beyond me how clutch this dude is. Who gets the ENG and is making a key play on the GWG for the Cup? Patric Hornqvist. Causing all chaos. Diving and blocking shots. This dude is so f***ing good. And what does he do next year?? HE SCORES THE GAME WINNING GOAL FOR THE CUP AGAINST HIS OLD TEAM.

Plus/Minus -

+++ Letang: HOLY SHIT he is everywhere. Friedman even mentioned it at intermission. I think Letang really deserved more CS talk. What a series by Letang.

+++ Geno in the 2nd half of the playoffs: People look at this playoff year as the one HBK took over, Sid took over, and Geno played like some 2nd character. That was NOT the case. I would ask anyone to rewatch this from Tampa/SJS and really watch Geno. Dude is as good as 2009. Holy wow.

+++ Murray, Hornqvist, Dumo: I'll lump these 3 in. They are just so damn solid. So damn solid.

++++++ Kessel: How the f*** did he not get the CS? That Tampa series, Washington series, and pretty much every game Phil Kessel was on fire. Teams couldn't stop him. He was too fast. Holy shit.

Guys... Kessel may have annoyed people towards the end, but if you want want to remember Phil Kessel and how important he was to this legacy for the Pens.... watch these playoffs. Defenses backed up to their own circles trying to find a way to stop his speed. They were so afraid.

Seriously if Kessel scores a goal in Game 6 - he wins the CS. No doubt.

++++ The focus of these Pens is unlike anything you've ever seen. You will never ever ever see a team like this ever again who turns away from all nonsense and just relies on speed/tenacity. The tenacity, support, and focus is beyond the phrase "laser focused".

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What a damn good team. Likely my favorite.

+Mr. Game 1 Jeff Zatkoff. That game was great.
+Dupuis being out caused an influx of young, fast talent.
+That Daley trade.
+HBK.
+Sully and the Pens re-writing how the game is played.
+Fehr did better and more than I recall.
+That Lovejoy trade worked out.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I remember seeing somewhere that Kessel was asked how he is able to play so well in the playoffs and he said something along the lines of "It's still just hockey games". :laugh:

Fits with his seemingly aloof personality and he certainly never seemed scared to play his way in the playoffs. Hopefully history remembers his time in Pittsburgh the way it deserves. He'll always be one of my favorites. So immensely important to the Crosby/Malkin era.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I do remember thinking "what, Sid got the CS"

As we have said ever since, it could have gone to a number of players. Still think Phil was robbed.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Letang, Phil and Murray all should have been In contention for the CS...

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Also do not look at Malkin's stat line to determine his level of play in this run. The dude was f***ing machine. He was playing hurt the whole playoff run and his line was killing teams every shift.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This gives me some games I want to re-watch.

1) Steelers vs. Cardinals for the SB. I haven't rewatched that game in years.
2) ECF Ottawa/Pens - KUNITZ
3) 2009 Caps/Pens Game 7

Reactions: KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This gives me some games I want to re-watch.

1) Steelers vs. Cardinals for the SB. I haven't rewatched that game in years.
2) ECF Ottawa/Pens - KUNITZ
3) 2009 Caps/Pens Game 7

Good choices...I’d add the 2017 Game 7 against the Caps and the whole Nashville series, which I don’t think I’ve rewatched in its entirety

Reactions: ColePens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad