Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I will make a thread everyday until we have determined the top 30 prospects according to Leaf fans on HFBoards.

Rankings:
1. Auston Matthews -- 90.30%
2. Mitch Marner -- 77.42%
3. William Nylander -- 96.95%
4. Connor Brown -- 35.79%
5. Nikita Zaitsev -- 57.87%
6. Kasperi Kapanen -- 37.50%
7. Connor Carrick -- 35.27%
8. Travis Dermott -- 35.59%
9. Nikita Soshnikov -- 44.68%
10. Andreas Johnson -- 31.60%
11. Dmytro Timashov -- 26.03%
12. Kerby Rychel -- 42.38%
13. Andrew Nielsen -- 31.48%
14. Yegor Korshkov -- 32.60%
15. Brandon Leipsic -- 23.97%
16. Rinat Valiev -- 24.09%
17. Jeremy Bracco -- 26.42%
18. Carl Grundstrom -- 29.30%
19. Zach Hyman -- 38.10%
20. Josh Levon -- 55.17%

Nicolas Mattinen
Vladimir Bobylev
Martins Dzierkals
JD Greenway
Antoine Bibeau
Stephen Desrocher
Dakota Joshua
Nikolai Chebykin
Nikita Korostelev
Jack Walker
Jesper Lindgren
Adam Brooks
Frederick Gauthier
Garret Sparks
Keaton Middleton
Frankie Corrado
Kasimir Kaskisuo
Tobias Lindberg
Joseph Woll
Viktor Loov

Fabrice Herzog
John Piccinich
Pierre Engvall
Nolan Vesey
Tony Cameranesi
Dominic Toninato

Prospect Ranking #1
Prospect Ranking #2
Prospect Ranking #3
Prospect Ranking #4
Prospect Ranking #6
Prospect Ranking #7
Prospect Ranking #8
Prospect Ranking #9
Prospect Ranking #10
Prospect Ranking #11
Prospect Ranking #11 Tie Breaker
Prospect Ranking #12
Prospect Ranking #13
Prospect Ranking #14
Prospect Ranking #15
Prospect Ranking #16
Prospect Ranking #17
Prospect Ranking #18
Prospect Ranking #19
Prospect Ranking #20

Suggest who I should add next. :D

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
voted lindberg. He looked good during his time with the leafs last year.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Now that Leivo is out of the way, time to start the next tier. Woll, Greenway, Lindberg, Gauthier, Dzierkals, and Brooks.

Woll 1st for me I guess.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Cameranesi can be taken off the docket list all together, as he just signed an AHL deal with the Marlies (just like Colin Smith). I'm excited to see what he can do with more opportunities with the Marlies.

Speaking of more opportunities, I voted Gauthier for a while now, and he needs some. Safer pick with less upside, but I think he'll end up as an important piece. Only reason why he should be considered so low in the first place is that it's almost certain he'll end up as nothing more than a 3rd liner.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Remaining prospects by PPG in their last season of junior (or just last season, for those who still got another year of eligibility):

1. Brooks (1.67)
2. Walker (1.166)
3. Lindberg (1.164)
4. Leivo (1.158)
5. Dzierkals (1.135)
6. Gauthier (0.865; junior career best: 0.968)
7. Korostelev (0.792; career best: 0.963)
8. Bobylev (0.931)

It's a tough call but I think I'm going to vote Lindberg for a few reasons: A) At 6'2", he doesn't have the size concerns that Brooks, Walker, et al. have, and B) He's proven (along with Gauthier) to be able to translate his game to the pro-game. Lindberg's offensive production mirrors a younger Leivo's in a lot of ways: Nearly identical numbers in the OHL, although it was Lindberg's first on the smaller-ice surface, and a very respectable 0.61PPG in his first AHL season as a 20-year-old; Leivo put up 0.71PPG, but on what was then a much better team than the last-place Binghampton Senators Lindberg spent most of this year on. There's no reason to think he can't make a similar jump in production as Leivo did in his second year.

Last edited:

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Woll, Greenway, Lindgren

My List

1) Matthews [1]
2) Marner [2]
3) Nylander [3]
4) Brown [4]
5) Dermott [8]
6) Johnson [10]
7) Korshkov [14]
8) Carrick [7]
9) Zaitsev [5]
10) Grundstrom [18]
11) Kapanen [6]
12) Timashov [11]
13) Soshnikov [9]
14) Nielsen [13]
15) Rychel [12]
16) Woll
17) Greenway
18) Hyman [19]
19) Bracco [17]
20) Lindgren
21) Valiev [16]
22) Brooks
23) Leivo [20]
24) Leipsic [15]
25) Gauthier
26) Dzierkals
27) Sparks
28) Lindberg
29) Corrado
30) Middleton
31) Kaskisuo
32) Bibeau

Mr Hockey*

We should have just a top 10 prospect list and thats it ... only 23 and under.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Voted dzierkals, but looking back I would voted lindberg or loov over him. I'm nearly certain lindberg will be an nhler, his game translates well to the nhl and he didn't look out of place at all during his call up. Had a great rookie season in the ahl considering that he played on a trash Birmingham team, and when he finally got traded he didn't play in the highest role on the marlies, I mean we didn't have a place for him during our run in the calder playoffs. Feel like loov has been forgotten, and people have given up on him. He wasn't as good as valiev was when called up, but he's a stead player who looks certain to be a bottom pairing dmen, sadly it doesn't look like we have any space for him next year. Love dzierkals game, and think he will be a good player, if he gets stronger. He won't be ready for at least a couple more years but he could be a nice asset down the road.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
looks like we have a three way race on our hands

I voted Lindberg because I believe he has a higher ceiling than Gauthier and much better chance to be a valuable player than Joseph Woll.

Mr Hockey*

Fortunately, a top 10 list can be easily derived from a top 30 list.

my way of thinking is, we will put a lot more thought into who we are voting into the top 10 ... thats just the way i see things, carey on :handclap:

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Those voting Lindberg really meant to vote Lindgren, right?? ;)

You really need to specify what criteria you use in your list. Like, really. For example, Lindgren over Lindberg? I can see what you mean if you base your list on ceiling as if everything works out with Lindgren then he could be a special defender...but he has SOOOOOO far to go before he's there. Whereas Lindberg may not project to be more than a third line scorer but based on his AHL play and stint in the NHL you can say with greater authority that he will make it there than if he hadn't crossed the pond yet.

At this point Lindberg seems far more likely to play for the Leafs than Lindgren...so who is the better prospect? Lindgren is more could be great if he improves on all his 'rawness'...as is the basic definition with all boom-bust prospects. He's the defender equivalent of Dzerkles.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
its gotta be Woll, Greenway or Lindberg...Brooks and Walker are nice dark horse...Not really sure where to put Frank Corrado...Probably should be voted in soon but i dont consider him a prospect.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
You really need to specify what criteria you use in your list. Like, really. For example, Lindgren over Lindberg? I can see what you mean if you base your list on ceiling as if everything works out with Lindgren then he could be a special defender...but he has SOOOOOO far to go before he's there. Whereas Lindberg may not project to be more than a third line scorer but based on his AHL play and stint in the NHL you can say with greater authority that he will make it there than if he hadn't crossed the pond yet.

At this point Lindberg seems far more likely to play for the Leafs than Lindgren...so who is the better prospect? Lindgren is more could be great if he improves on all his 'rawness'...as is the basic definition with all boom-bust prospects. He's the defender equivalent of Dzerkles.

This is fair. Really, the next 7-10 prospects are all similar tier IMO, so it really doesn't matter to me where we rank them. I probably tend to weigh ceiling more than the average fan, but obviously biases will cloud some of those thoughts as well.

If Lindberg makes the NHL, its in all likelyhood that he'll be a third line winger like a Cleary, Santorelli, Stempniak calliber player (not a bad thing). If Lindgren makes the NHL, I think it would likely be in a Top-4 PMD role in the mold of an Anton Stralman (comparison I've heard from various sources). Obviously, we'll be lucky if one of these players get lucky enough to reach the NHL, but give me a possible Stralman over a Cleary any day :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille