Prospect Info: 2016 Leafs Board Prospect Ranking #14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Haven't seen your guys' prospect pool all typed out like this before, holy hell that's a strong pool. Future is bright for you guys!

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Korshkov. I considered Brooks as well. He's flying under the radar but I wouldn't be surprised if he's in our top 10 next year when people see him up close.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Went Korshkov, but this was extremely hard. I really like Woll as a prospect, but figured it was too early with Korshkov taken ahead of him. Same with Grundstrom. Leipsic and Hyman are interesting and close to NHL ready, just felt I liked the other guys upside more.

Finally, I'd say add Mattinen soon. I am personally really high on the kid, and would vote for him ahead of a few people on this list. I really think he could be a great late round sleeper for us. The kids shot is ridiculous, and he could get solid minutes on the Knights top power play this year. People I've talked to who follow the OHL closely are really high on the kid, and I do think Hunter believes in the kids breakout potential.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Haven't seen your guys' prospect pool all typed out like this before, holy hell that's a strong pool. Future is bright for you guys!
It feels weird. We went through decades of trading picks, and now we accumulated a bunch for the last 2 drafts and our pool reflects it. The top 3 are ridiculous, but I'm almost more impressed by the overall depth. Plus Leafs have a bunch of picks coming up too. Its crazy looking at guys like Bracco and Valiev who are 2nd rounders who while haven't lit the world on fire, but haven't disappointed still be on the board this late.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It feels weird. We went through decades of trading picks, and now we accumulated a bunch for the last 2 drafts and our pool reflects it. The top 3 are ridiculous, but I'm almost more impressed by the overall depth. Plus Leafs have a bunch of picks coming up too. Its crazy looking at guys like Bracco and Valiev who are 2nd rounders who while haven't lit the world on fire, but haven't disappointed still be on the board this late.

It's crazy that you can say that this pool could go 20 deep with prospects who have a strong chance at at least being an nhl player in some capacity.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Honestly i rank Valiev higher then Carrick and Nielsen.

I understand that Carrick has better AHL numbers but i mean its not all about numbers. Valiev is rangy a great skater and has great outlet passes...Size is a huge factor here considering we already have powerplay D like Rielly and Gardiner. Valievs long stick, great puck moving abiltiys and skating make him a top 2 d prospect for me...

Personally i think the 3 d prospects that will end up working out for us are:

Dermott, Valiev and Greenway.

All great skaters with good size and puck moving ability...Just all around good d men who have all the tools to be able to play against really good players.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Honestly i rank Valiev higher then Carrick and Nielsen.

I understand that Carrick has better AHL numbers but i mean its not all about numbers. Valiev is rangy a great skater and has great outlet passes...Size is a huge factor here considering we already have powerplay D like Rielly and Gardiner. Valievs long stick, great puck moving abiltiys and skating make him a top 2 d prospect for me...

Personally i think the 3 d prospects that will end up working out for us are:

Dermott, Valiev and Greenway.

All great skaters with good size and puck moving ability...Just all around good d men who have all the tools to be able to play against really good players.

I always think that Valiev is surprisingly underrated on these boards. The kid was a beast in his short stint with the big club last year - he just rarely makes a mistake.

He's going to be a dark-horse gem for us.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I always think that Valiev is surprisingly underrated on these boards. The kid was a beast in his short stint with the big club last year - he just rarely makes a mistake.

The 2 Russians might end up eventually as a pairing with Zaitsev joining Valiev.

It will bring back memories or Yushkevich and Markov.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

He seems to be a forgotten quality prospect. A big chance for him this season to play big minutes on the Marlies blue to start the season.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
I get the sense that any degree of separation between Korshkov and Grundstrom is likely very small ... So either of them fit here, though i'm surprised that Grundstrom is not picking up a few more votes, seeing as we're giving space for Korshkov.

Besides that, i agree with some other thoughts that Leivo should be strongly considered at this point ... the only real question with him is that he needs to be a bit stronger.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's sad people are just completely forgetting about Brooks. He's going to be a good one.
There are 4 people drafted ahead of Brooks less than a month ago still on the board (Korshkov, Grundstrom, Woll and Greenway). Do you really expect him to be getting a significant amount of votes over those guys, when our own scouting staff valued them higher?

Mr Hockey*

My list of players that are NHL ready..

1 Austin Matthews
2 Marner, Mitchell
3 Nylander, William
4 Soshnikov, Nikita
5 Hyman, Zach
6 Zaitsev, Nikita
7 Carrick, Connor
8 Kapanen, Kasperi
10 Brown, Connor
16 Johnson, Andreas
17 Leipsic, Brendan
19 Loov, Viktor
21 Valiev, Rinat
26 Leivo, Josh
31 Corrado, Frank
32 Justin Holl

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
My list of players that are NHL ready..

1 Austin Matthews
2 Marner, Mitchell
3 Nylander, William
4 Soshnikov, Nikita
5 Hyman, Zach
6 Zaitsev, Nikita
7 Carrick, Connor
8 Kapanen, Kasperi
10 Brown, Connor

16 Johnson, Andreas
17 Leipsic, Brendan
19 Loov, Viktor
21 Valiev, Rinat
26 Leivo, Josh
31 Corrado, Frank
32 Justin Holl

What? Kapanen is 2-3 years before being close to NHL ready, Brown is more NHL ready than both Soshnikov and Hyman. Confusing list considering people that have actual NHL experience are at the bottom of your list

Mr Hockey*

What? Kapanen is 2-3 years before being close to NHL ready, Brown is more NHL ready than both Soshnikov and Hyman. Confusing list considering people that have actual NHL experience are at the bottom of your list

You think Kapanen is 2-3 years away? I just removed players that i did not think were NHL ready from the above list, I did not touch the order they were in. I will make a list in order if you want.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jeremy Bracco.

Seriously man, the kid can play. Will dominate the OHL offensively this season

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jeremy Bracco.

Seriously man, the kid can play. Will dominate the OHL offensively this season
Him and Mascherin should destroy the league offensively. But that does nothing in proving he's more than someone like an Arcobello. He needs to improve his overall compete, and acceleration. Everyone knows the vision and hands are there, but he really needs to round out his game to eventually make the NHL. Either way I'll love watching him on the Rangers, his vision and passing is unreal at times.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
You think Kapanen is 2-3 years away? I just removed players that i did not think were NHL ready from the above list, I did not touch the order they were in. I will make a list in order if you want.

Yes I do think Kapanen is 2-3 years away, maybe more. He is hardly AHL ready, he's only 19 years old...

Oh and that makes more sense, I thought that was your order, my bad.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Went with Korshkov due to his potential being a big, strong, skilled top 6 winger.

I see Leipsic more as a 2nd/3rd (more 3rd) line skilled agitating winger in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad