Speculation: 2016 "Free Wallet" Thread, aka: NCAA Unsigned Free Agent Tracker

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Since the Sens are almost always in on at least one NCAA unsigned player, I figured it would be nice to track who signs where, and maybe follow some of the guys who we might be scouting.

Elliotte Friedman reported today that we might be the top suitors for Drake Caggiula, a 21 year old Senior out of UND.

It's a weak year for Free Wallets, but Caggiula is one of the higher names on the list, so it's no surprise we're out in front of that.

In case anyone hasn't heard of Caggiula - undersized LW with legit highlight skills amd plays with a chip on his shoulder the size of Yukon. Fast, accelerates like a porsche, and is equally good as a playmaker as he is at scoring.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Other top NCAA unsigned players of note:

- Alex Lyon, G, Yale (I can't see us having much interest in another college-age goalie, seeing as how we just signed O'Connor as the top NCAA guy last offseason)

- Casey Nelson, D, Minnesota-Mankato (offensive defenceman, Junior, might return to NCAA as a senior)

- Brandon Tanev, LW, Providence (one of the fastest players in NCAA hockey, not a huge offensive player or physical player, more of a 2-way guy)

- Andrew Poturalski, C, UNH (one-way offence-first player, total boom or bust prospect depending on how he adapts to the pro game)

- Nick Lappin, LW, Brown University (good puck possession guy, cycles the puck well, high hockey IQ, gets dirty when needed)

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Apparently Buffalo signed Casey Nelson yesterday, so his name can be crossed off the list (though I doubt he was on our radar, we're not exactly in the market for offence-first RHDs).

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I believe that Andrew Poturalski also signed with Carolina a week or two ago.

Should be interesting to see where Caggiula signs. Ottawa would obviously him a great shot at playing NHL games rather quickly...

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Ah yes, you are correct. Thanks for that.

I've been dealing with family issues the past couple of weeks, must have missed that.

I'll make a larger spreadsheet of available NCAA UFAs later this evening when I'm not on mobile.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
Nick Lappin has also signed with the New Jersey Devils.

We've signed Kevin Tansey and Mike Borkowski to ATO's. Both local kids.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Did the free wallets that BM picked up over the years ever had any money in them?

Andrew Hammond is sort of like finding a 20 dollar Best Buy gift card in one of them I suppose...

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Did the free wallets that BM picked up over the years ever had any money in them?

Jesse Winchester wasn't bad before injuries.

BM has had success with other teams with signings like Kunitz and Penner.

Had he closed the deals we were rumoured to be runners up on in Bozak and Tanev we'd have excellent free wallets.

I don't know, I'd rather swing and miss than sit in the dugout.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Bingo should have been all over the local guy (Brockville) Tyson Wilson. Solid 2-way D-man, captain of Robert Morris. Signed with Manitoba.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Caught a couple of Providence games this year, wouldn't be opposed to brining in Brandon Tanev. Kid can really fly, not sure if there's anything there beyond that, but no harm in finding out.

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa

Should be interesting to see where Caggiula signs. Ottawa would obviously him a great shot at playing NHL games rather quickly...

Every time I look at Caggiula's name my brain/inside voice reads it as Caligula... gonna work on my words, but let's hope Caggiula isn't as crazy...

Ceaser-Augustus.jpg

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
My big question on Caggiula is the same as my question with any college UFA: why was he never drafted? And if it's just a matter of being a late bloomer, what are his weak spots? Only hearing the positives, and a guy who developed so late must have some weak spots.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
My big question on Caggiula is the same as my question with any college UFA: why was he never drafted? And if it's just a matter of being a late bloomer, what are his weak spots? Only hearing the positives, and a guy who developed so late must have some weak spots.

Seems like they're always weak skaters. Or at least were

Just saw that he's 510 185 now. Wonder what he was in his draft year

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
I'm watching the North Dakota/Northeastern game and as it's winding down, I have really liked what I've seen from Caggiula. Good speed, playmaking, offensive instincts, battles hard, and he's pretty strong on the boards.

I don't think he has much of an NHL future but would be a nice piece for Bingo considering how bad they are right now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Harvard was eliminated today.

Relevant UFA storyline here is whether or not Jimmy Vesey signs with Nashville or not. Lots of rumors that he'll bail on the preds and sign with Toronto (who drafted his brother).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Notre Dame was eliminated today.

Not much UFA gold to be mined among the seniors here, but Andy Ryan might get a contract somewhere.

An interesting situation to watch is whether Sophomore Jordan Gross leaves college 2 years early and signs somewhere in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad