2016 Flyers Draft: 1 year later

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Really unfortunate injuries for the top 2, specifically Laberge. His concussion set him back at least 1 full year of development.

We might have gotten a couple gems in the middle to late part of that draft: Allison, Hart, Laczynski, Hogberg and Bernhardt all appear to have NHL potential.

Another solid draft like this + our #2 pick and we will be set up really nicely.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I will likely rank them back-to-back for forwards when we do the poll. I think Wade Allison has better physical tools. I think Laczynski is smarter, more versatile, and just a better overall hockey player. And it's not like Laczysnki has any less hockey skill, and I think he uses it better. They're essentially the same age and have the same amount of USHL/NCAA experience, despite the re-draft status, so I think you can judge the two on a level playing field.

I did say "NHL potential," my definition being who will be the best overall NHL players. Perhaps "potential" was the wrong word with its connotation of ceiling and whatnot, though I'm not particularly certain Allison's is much if any higher. Maybe as a pure scorer, but not as a complete hockey player. Because purely on raw talent and ceiling, Laberge should trump both, no?

NCHC >> Big Ten if we are judging their seasons side by side last year.

Laczysnki is a good player for sure, I just have an easier time envisioning Allison as a top of the lineup player. Admittedly I'm a sucker for upside so maybe I'm off base there. I wouldn't disagree if people think Laczysnki has a higher floor and is more well rounded and favor him because of that, but I think Allison has a better chance to be an impact player and he would get the edge for me because of that. Plus the Flyers have been looking for that big goal scoring winger for how long now? :sarcasm:

I still hold out hope for Laberge. His pre-draft pedigree was too good for me to believe the kid forgot how to play hockey. But the drop off in production, for one reason or another, is concerning for sure so I wouldn't blame people for adjusting their projections of him as a player. He needs to get off to a running start next year.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
NCHC >> Big Ten if we are judging their seasons side by side last year.

No doubt. The NCHC was unreal tough last year. In Laczynski's defense, he did play Minn-Duluth in the NCAA tournament and was just a total beast that game on the big stage. They had no answer for him whatsoever. So many scoring chances for Ohio St, they just couldn't finish.

Obviously that isn't the same as grinding that conference week in and week out like Allison had to. Just wanted to point out what he did vs the #2 team in college hockey during prime time.

Anyone who votes Allison ahead of Laczynski, I totally see as understandable.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah Laczynski was great in that game. He looks like a great find in the 6th round. I wasn't saying that to diminish Laczynski's season, his production was really good for a freshman who got inconsistent usage. I just thought that was something that should be pointed out if we are comparing the two. NCHC is to College Hockey what the SEC is to College Football. It's a really tough league. If you believe in NHLe, NCHC was on par with Liiga and NLA as far as scoring translating to the NHL. The Big Ten was a little step above the OHL.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Allison had every bit as good a season, and the conference argument is fair, but for me it's not about that. It really just boils down to me that I think Wade has middling hockey sense, on both sides of the puck and has a tendency to make odd choices and float. Not like sub NHL or anything, but it's something that stood out to me. I find it hard to ignore that when talking about potential and ceiling.

I still think he can be a solid 20-25 goal 40-45 point guy, probably needing some sheltering and specific linemates, which would be a great hit as a late 2nd. But I'm not sure Laczynski doesn't have that within him too while being better overall. Putting it this way: I feel comfortable with projecting Allison's potential. Laczynski has some hidden layers to him that I'm unsure what he could be (in a good way) in 3-5 years. Guys with great hockey sense are usually the ones who end up the home runs. That's just where I tend to err on the side of.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Allison had every bit as good a season, and the conference argument is fair, but for me it's not about that. It really just boils down to me that I think Wade has middling hockey sense, on both sides of the puck and has a tendency to make odd choices and float. Not like sub NHL or anything, but it's something that stood out to me. I find it hard to ignore that when talking about potential and ceiling.

I still think he can be a solid 20-25 goal 40-45 point guy, probably needing some sheltering and specific linemates, which would be a great hit as a late 2nd. But I'm not sure Laczynski doesn't have that within him too while being better overall. Putting it this way: I feel comfortable with projecting Allison's potential. Laczynski has some hidden layers to him that I'm unsure what he could be (in a good way) in 3-5 years. Guys with great hockey sense are usually the ones who end up the home runs. That's just where I tend to err on the side of.

This I agree with. Allison is going to need to be paired with guys that can get him the puck. I think he can be a really good complimentary player and finisher if they can do that. Fortunately, with the #2 pick, prospects in the system, and others already in place, I think they will be able to accommodate him. Dave Starman also told me Allison is going to be a star...or a 2nd/3rd liner for 10 years.
:naughty:

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
This I agree with. Allison is going to need to be paired with guys that can get him the puck. I think he can be a really good complimentary player and finisher if they can do that. Fortunately, with the #2 pick, prospects in the system, and others already in place, I think they will be able to accommodate him. Dave Starman also told me Allison is going to be a star...or a 2nd/3rd liner for 10 years.
:naughty:

I only saw Allison a couple times but he didn't seem to have hockey sense issues for me. He played great D, backchecked very hard too. I think he could end up being a better all around player than Simmonds if he keeps developing - he's bigger, handles the puck better.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
with the amount of playmakers this team has a guy like Allison is going to be important. we need to have guys that arent just good forecheckers but are also finishers. raffl was great at digging the pick out and setting up play in the offensive zone for g and v but he flubbed so many prime chances set up by those 2. having an Allison that can bury good chances is going to be an important piece of the puzzle even if he isn't the most talented all around player.

I watched a pretty good amount of big ten/Ohio state hockey last year and tanner laczynski impressed me every time I saw him. he just does all of the little things right and you notice him in a positive way almost every times he's on the ice. I really think he s going to be a home run 6th round pick. his role this year as a third liner is what I envision him to be in the NHL and that would be a great land. A guy that has that level of iq and skill would give us a 3rd line that would actually be a threat out there. there's a chance he could be more than a bottom six guy too. I'm excited to see what he does with top line and top powerplay time in the future. I think he's really going to have a monster year.

those 2 plus rubstov, hart, bunnyman, and the hog make this class very promising. any class that could produce 5 or 6 nhl regulars is an A+. not to mention potentially a franchise goalie in Hart for the first time in forever. if laberge bounces back this could be one of the best classes in flyers history. very great job by hextall, adding them on top of an already deep prospect pool has us set up to be elite in a few years and have enough talent to easily replace guys that price themselves off the team without missing a beat. it's impossible to imagine our prospect pool looking like this 5 years ago.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I feel like every draft the Flyers go with a too high pick of a low ceiling players.

Last year it was Twarynski, I think the year before it was Dove-McFalls, prior years it was Goulbroune.

All of these guys were 3rd and 4th I believe. Like why?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I feel like every draft the Flyers go with a too high pick of a low ceiling players.

Last year it was Twarynski, I think the year before it was Dove-McFalls, prior years it was Goulbroune.

They also drafted Voroboyov a few spots after SDM and Bunnaman a round after Twarynski. They weren't good picks but you can't hit on all of them.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
They also drafted Voroboyov a few spots after SDM and Bunnaman a round after Twarynski. They weren't good picks but you can't hit on all of them.

No you can't. I agree, but these seem like stretches on draft days, not like it's a massive bust situation.

They took guys with low ceilings too high and then possibly took better players later. Odd situation. lol

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Infatuation with adding more size to the organization, which ultimately doesn't matter if the guys don't have NHL talent.

Hopefully, they are learning to avoid those players who only have checking line upside and who are even checking liners in junior.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I went on record in other threads, but I didn't love some of the picks. Others I really liked (Laczynski).

I thought it was a decent draft overall, just not how I'd have selected.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Infatuation with adding more size to the organization, which ultimately doesn't matter if the guys don't have NHL talent.

Hopefully, they are learning to avoid those players who only have checking line upside and who are even checking liners in junior.

I know this is a commonly-held belief, but I strongly feel that they were just wrong about those players and we're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

We don't rip them for taking Vorobyov because he looks like a hit even though he was roughly as overdrafted as Dove-McFalls was. It's the opposite side of the antiquated too small to play in the NHL notion -- he's big and I see limited upside, so that's what everyone else sees too.

Believe me, I was scratching my head as much as anyone after the Twarynski pick. I'm not saying they were all gold.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Because you can free agent buy a 4th line player that takes up 1/40th to 1/70th of your team salary.

Swing for the fences.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
It is too bad about Laberge. I honestly don't expect him to make it after that hit.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Because you can free agent buy a 4th line player that takes up 1/40th to 1/70th of your team salary.

Swing for the fences.

Reading this makes me think I didn't make my point clearly.

I don't think the Flyers thought they had 4th line upside. I think they saw some projectability, like with Vorobyov's skating, and were wrong.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It is too bad about Laberge. I honestly don't expect him to make it after that hit.

If one hit is going to derail his career he wasn't making it anyway. Situations like that and bad concussions can take weeks or even months to get over completely for a young athlete. If he is strong enough mentally he will bounce back this year however.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
No you can't. I agree, but these seem like stretches on draft days, not like it's a massive bust situation.

They took guys with low ceilings too high and then possibly took better players later. Odd situation. lol

I agree, fortunately though they seem to be doing a much better job of drafting after the first round since Hextall has taken over.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If true, that's a big loss and a waste of a 2nd round pick. Especially with some talent going behind him like Debrincat

The majority of second rounders don't amount to much at all. So tough to call it a waste even if that's the eventual outcome.

Laberge still has the upcoming year in juniors & three years after that on an ELC. So he's got time on his side.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
The majority of second rounders don't amount to much at all. So tough to call it a waste even if that's the eventual outcome.

Laberge still has the upcoming year in juniors & three years after that on an ELC. So he's got time on his side.

It is WAY too soon for anyone to be writing of Laberge. It's actually kind of ridiculous that some people think he is a failed prospect/pick already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad