2016 Flyers Draft: 1 year later

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
If true, that's a big loss and a waste of a 2nd round pick. Especially with some talent going behind him like Debrincat

I understand your sentiment but have some perspective. The Flyers look like they got 5 NHL players out of this draft and not just 4th liners either. If Laberge is a total bust it is still is a great draft and it wasn't like he was picked completely off of the board where they selected him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It is WAY too soon for anyone to be writing of Laberge. It's actually kind of ridiculous that some people think he is a failed prospect/pick already.

We'll ultimately see. I understand being down on him at this point (I would be lying if I said I wasnt) as you don't like to see a guy of his caliber essentially have a throw away year in juniors. But as said he's going to get chances to bounce back.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
We'll ultimately see. I understand being down on him at this point (I would be lying if I said I wasnt) as you don't like to see a guy of his caliber essentially have a throw away year in juniors. But as said he's going to get chances to bounce back.

Obviously his stock isn't as high it was when he was drafted. I just think people are underestimating the effects a hit/injury like that can have on a young athlete. As a youth and HS coach of both Football and Wrestling I have seen it happen over the years. Often times the first time a kid gets rocked and has a bad concussion even after their concussion symptoms have gone away it can be weeks or even longer until they get over the mental hurdle of it. We will find out a lot of Laberge this coming season.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
If one hit is going to derail his career he wasn't making it anyway. Situations like that and bad concussions can take weeks or even months to get over completely for a young athlete. If he is strong enough mentally he will bounce back this year however.

I think this is more than a bit harsh. Injuries happen, sometimes catastrophic injuries, like this one may be. To criticize someone's "mental toughness" after a nasty concussion is puzzling. Would you say that Pronger also lacks mental toughness after a having his career ended by one, that didnt look anywhere near as devestating?

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I think this is more than a bit harsh. Injuries happen, sometimes catastrophic injuries, like this one may be. To criticize someone's "mental toughness" after a nasty concussion is puzzling. Would you say that Pronger also lacks mental toughness after a having his career ended by one, that didnt look anywhere near as devestating?

You are missing my point. If a guy has such severe concussions that the symptoms remain that is a separate issue all together. However, if someone gets rocked really badly like Laberge did, and sustains a concussion at some point they have to get over it. Laberge came back and was symptom free and continued to struggle. If you paid attention to my posts I have given him a pass as young athletes often take time to get over the mental hump of an injury like that. At some point though, as in this coming season he is going to have get over that hurdle if he wants to get back on track.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
you cant hit homeruns with every pick. Sure some picks have been disappointments so far, but at the same time Hextall has found guys that other teams missed on after round 1 that are looking pretty damn good. Hextall's drafting has been fine so far. Overall I really dont think there is much to complain about.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I know this is a commonly-held belief, but I strongly feel that they were just wrong about those players and we're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

We don't rip them for taking Vorobyov because he looks like a hit even though he was roughly as overdrafted as Dove-McFalls was. It's the opposite side of the antiquated too small to play in the NHL notion -- he's big and I see limited upside, so that's what everyone else sees too.

Believe me, I was scratching my head as much as anyone after the Twarynski pick. I'm not saying they were all gold.

Same gamble they took with Lindblom, who fell to the 5th round due to an off season and CONCERNS ABOUT HIS SKATING. It's not exactly a precise science, projecting what 18 year old athletes will be at age 22, just look at college 5 star recruits (best of the best) and how many never make it to the NFL.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Luckily, even if Laberge flat out can't make it to the NHL whether the injuries set him back to far or maybe he just isn't good enough, it doesn't matter.

We already have good center depth and it is only gonna get better with Nolan Patrick/Nico Hischier. If Laberge makes it... great. If he doesn't, nothing changes.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The majority of second rounders don't amount to much at all. So tough to call it a waste even if that's the eventual outcome.

Laberge still has the upcoming year in juniors & three years after that on an ELC. So he's got time on his side.

History says this correct, but he was "1st round material"

I still have high hopes. I would like a full healthy season and lets see what he can do.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Wanted DeBrincat then, want him now. Laberge may or may not make it, but if DeBrincat turns in to a stud in the process I'll be bummed out.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Wanted DeBrincat then, want him now. Laberge may or may not make it, but if DeBrincat turns in to a stud in the process I'll be bummed out.

giphy.gif

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Still kind of ehhhhh on Rubstov.

I'm not close to ready to pencil him into the top 6 for the future; need him to be healthy and to show me more.

Looks like we hopefully may have something with Carter Hart, but you never can tell with goalies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If he makes it then it wouldn't be as a center anyway.

He's not even a center now, except in a pinch. It's not a good sign for someone's long-term center projection if they can't crack it in juniors as one. Most of the failed ones were still centers through juniors. He's a RW, and I don't think anyone should expect him to be a center, logjam we have or not.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Reading this makes me think I didn't make my point clearly.

I don't think the Flyers thought they had 4th line upside. I think they saw some projectability, like with Vorobyov's skating, and were wrong.

If I misread you, my fault. :cheers:

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
I really don't like the Laczynski pick. Mostly because I hate everything associated with Ohio St

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad