2016 F1 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Now with the race times just being released, I think it's a good time to start a new thread. Maybe I'll update the OP with the Drivers' and Constructors' Championships standings as the season goes on.

Date | Time (GMT) | Race
March 20|05:00|Australian GP
April 3|15:00|Bahrain GP
April 17|06:00|Chinese GP
May 1|12:00|Russian GP
May 15|12:00|Spanish GP
May 29|12:00|Monaco GP
June 12|18:00|Canadian GP
June 19|13:00|European GP
June 3|12:00|Austrian GP
July 10|12:00|British GP
July 24|12:00|Hungarian GP
July 31|12:00|German GP
August 28|12:00|Belgian GP
September 4|12:00|Italian GP
September 18|12:00|Singapore GP
October 2|07:00|Malaysian GP
October 9|05:00|Japanese GP
October 23|19:00|United States GP
October 30|19:00|Mexican GP
November 13|16:00|Brazilian GP
November 27|13:00|Abu Dhabi GP

Team | Number | Driver
Mercedes|44|Lewis Hamilton
|6|Nico Rosberg
Ferrari|5|Sebastian Vettel
|7|Kimi Raikkonen
Williams-Mercedes|77|Valtteri Bottas
|19|Felipe Massa
Red Bull-TAG Heuer|3|Daniel Ricciardo
|33|Max Verstappen*
Force India-Mercedes|11|Sergio Perez
|27|Nico Hulkenberg
Renault|20|Kevin Magnussen
|30|Jolyon Palmer
Toro Rosso-Ferrari|26|Daniil Kvyat*
|55|Carlos Sainz Jr.
Sauber-Ferrari|12|Felipe Nasr
|9|Marcus Ericsson
McLaren-Honda|22|Jenson Button
|14|Fernando Alonso
|47|Stoffel Vandoorne
Manor-Mercedes|94|Pascal Wehrlein
|??|Esteban Ocon**
Haas-Ferrari|8|Romain Grosjean
|21|Esteban Gutierrez

*Kvyat and Verstappen's seats have been swapped, starting with the Spanish Grand Prix.
**Ocon replaced Haryanto, starting with the Belgian Grand Prix.

Last edited:

Apaharn

Aug 12, 2008
Magnussen will probably stick with number 20, since that was the number he used in McLaren.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
My pre-testing constructors standings prediction for 2016, split into tiers of how close the gap will be between them in overall pace

1) Mercedes - probably another year at the top with 2 very good drivers
2) Ferrari - Vettel will contend for the drivers' championships but Raikkonen not fast enough to keep up with the Mercedes

3) Williams - more of the same from them, good drivers, Mercedes power
4) Red Bull - will lack engine power again but make up for it with the usual high performance in downforce

5) Force India - really picked it up toward the end of last year after a slow start, may not get high finishes this year but will be more consistent
6) McLaren - 2 very good drivers, Honda will hopefully have improved their engine so I'm more optimistic for them this year
7) Renault - will miss the Mercedes power from last year's Lotus car, inexperienced drivers, return to glory won't happen immediately
8) Toro Rosso - 2 promising drivers but using old Ferrari engines from 2015 and may lack power

9) Sauber - difficult to choose between the bottom three but have to put them above the newcomers
10) Haas - don't know what to expect from them but they have decent drivers and I just think they'll be faster than Manor
11) Manor - with Mercedes power and an up to date car they won't be finishing last every race again but don't have a lot of resources and haven't named drivers yet, won't be anyone high profile as it will have to be someone with financial backing

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
My pre-testing constructors standings prediction for 2016, split into tiers of how close the gap will be between them in overall pace

2) Ferrari - Vettel will contend for the drivers' championships but Raikkonen not fast enough to keep up with the Mercedes

4) Red Bull - will lack engine power again but make up for it with the usual high performance in downforce

5) Force India - really picked it up toward the end of last year after a slow start, may not get high finishes this year but will be more consistent
6) McLaren - 2 very good drivers, Honda will hopefully have improved their engine so I'm more optimistic for them this year
7) Renault - will miss the Mercedes power from last year's Lotus car, inexperienced drivers, return to glory won't happen immediately
8) Toro Rosso - 2 promising drivers but using old Ferrari engines from 2015 and may lack power

9) Sauber - difficult to choose between the bottom three but have to put them above the newcomers
10) Haas - don't know what to expect from them but they have decent drivers and I just think they'll be faster than Manor
11) Manor - with Mercedes power and an up to date car they won't be finishing last every race again but don't have a lot of resources and haven't named drivers yet, won't be anyone high profile as it will have to be someone with financial backing

Thanks. What is your driver standings prediction? More or less similar to this one?

And it looks like F1 will be scrapping the token system for 2017. What does this mean and why are people so happy about it on Motorsport's comments?

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Thanks. What is your driver standings prediction? More or less similar to this one?

And it looks like F1 will be scrapping the token system for 2017. What does this mean and why are people so happy about it on Motorsport's comments?

Driver standings are too difficult to predict accurately outside of the top 4

The power unit token system restricted when and how much a team could upgrade its engine during the season. People are happy because it allows the other engine suppliers to close the gap to Mercedes, and new suppliers like Honda don't have to go through their first season absolutely sucking

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Whilst I expect another season of Merc dominance, I just hope McLaren Honda have a competitive package this year. Watching 2 great drivers like Alonso and Button go out in Q1 every race was such a waste. If the car is remotely competitive you know Alonso will wring every last tenth out of it.

Also of note in the UK is that the BBC have dropped their coverage of F1 and its going to Channel 4. Ch4's coverage of the cricket when they stole it off the BBC 10+ years ago was brilliant, so hoping for more of the same.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl

Regarding Toro Rosso: They were underpowered as well last year, when they were stuck with the Renault engine which was both slow and unreliable. Comparatively, the Ferrari 2015 engine should be a major step forward, probably more than most 2015->2016 upgrades. Also keeping in mind that while there will be engine development during the season, in general the non works teams last year either didn't get these upgrades, or got them rather late. So overall if anything, they might be in better shape in terms of engines.

If you compare them to Renault, STR have been building superior chassis the past few seasons, have the better drivers, and will likely have a superior engine as well, if you consider how bad Renault was. Especially at the start of the season.

Last year Renault were pretty good, but you can probably mostly credit Mercedes for that. Now they are back with the Renault engine I expect them to be in the last group. Sauber tends to have underdeveloped cars but will have the better engine. (Prefer Renault drivers though) Haas is hard to predict, they seem to have been pretty thorough but the start is always hard. Manor will have a better engine, but if you look at Sauber with the Ferrari engine last year, that won't magically put them all the way to the front. (And like you said, their drivers are unlikely to be fantastic)

In the midfield I'd expect more fights between Force India, Toro Rosso and McLaren. Hard to predict the latter; their chassis haven't been that good lately, but I got a bit more confidence in Honda fixing their issues than Renault.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
Does anybody know if there is a stream of Barcelona testing next week for the U.S.? I thought NBCSN or their app would have something but their schedule is blank for next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad