2016 Draft Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Incase no one has watched Dahlen highlights....

Think he's a 30-40 picks for me not so much 20-30. I like Bitten, Steel, and Benson type of guys in that range with a high hockey IQ and no questions of defensive play or something (though Dahlen seems faster than Benson, Bitten is probably the fastest of the bunch and imo a better player offensively than Mikey McLeod).

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Think he's a 30-40 picks for me not so much 20-30. I like Bitten, Steel, and Benson type of guys in that range with a high hockey IQ and no questions of defensive play or something (though Dahlen seems faster than Benson, Bitten is probably the fastest of the bunch and imo a better player offensively than Mikey McLeod).

Bitten reminds me of Konecny: same relentless, pure speed and skill game. Probably a touch less skill (Konecny is pretty crazy), but better defensively. He is just in an awful situation with Flint...he could be due for a monster year with some more stability. He's one of my 2nd round favorites. Then add in Dube, Dahlen, Kuokkanen, Kyrou. 2/5 of those would be a dream. I think Benson could be a dark horse for late 20s early 30s pick...I like him but I don't think he lasts anywhere near the 40s. Steel I just find a bland player.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Some people to consider with the 2nd rounders. These guys are near--ish where the Flyers pick that have things I like.

Janne Kuokkanen
Kale Clague
Frederic Allard
Henrik Borgstrom
Tobias Eder
Noah Gregor

Later rounds:

Cameron Clarke
Ross Colton
Domenic Commisso (I like more)
Joachim Blichfeld
Gabriel Fontaine
Michael Graham
Colin Grannary
Luke Green
Brendan Harrogate
Eric Henderson
Zachary Jordan

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Coatesy talks to Hexy about the draft. Asks about Jones, Gauthier and Bellows, specifically

I noticed right away that Hextall never used the word "smart" or "upside" on any of those 3. It wasn't until he was asked about Logan Brown. Then he used those 2 words. We know how much Hextall covets and appreciates smart players. Obviously, Brown will be long gone by when we pick. Other smart players will be available at 18, though. ;)

santapore

Oct 11, 2010
have been reading lots of the prospects and its just me but jones,bellows and dahlen have impressed me a little bit. i really hope we get atleast 1 of those. sure its just me but..cant draft allready be here!!

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I noticed right away that Hextall never used the word "smart" or "upside" on any of those 3. It wasn't until he was asked about Logan Brown. Then he used those 2 words. We know how much Hextall covets and appreciates smart players. Obviously, Brown will be long gone by when we pick. Other smart players will be available at 18, though. ;)

Would be the first time I read Bellows nit being smart haha

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edictions-for-top-prospects-after-stanley-cup

They have the Flyers selecting Riley Tufte out of Minnesota. Haven't seen any of Tufte to form a solid opinion of him. If that's who they go with, the thinking has to be that it's someone who will take three to four years of development before reaching the big club, similar to Nick Bjugstad (who Elite Prospects compared Tufte to).

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Will and compete. Love hexy and he's right. We have a lot of forwards with no will or compete.

I love Hextall's approach to building a club. You can see that he's methodical in his approach and he knows what he's looking for. Hopefully Ron can hit another home run with the draft this year and that he can really fill the left wing spot that the club is lacking in.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Would be the first time I read Bellows nit being smart haha

Yeah, the smart comment more applies to the other two. Bellows smarts are fine. The big knocks on him are his skating and playmaking, not smarts. I like Bellows.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...edictions-for-top-prospects-after-stanley-cup

They have the Flyers selecting Riley Tufte out of Minnesota. Haven't seen any of Tufte to form a solid opinion of him. If that's who they go with, the thinking has to be that it's someone who will take three to four years of development before reaching the big club, similar to Nick Bjugstad (who Elite Prospects compared Tufte to).

You'll have a better idea how far away he is next year. I think he's probably 2 years of college tops. But if he lights it up next season he could be one and done, play his 19 year old season in the AHL and not burn the 1st year of his ELC.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wonder if it was a Leafs fan who took McKeens rankings out of the spreadsheet but kept Pronmans.

I think Pronmans stuff is pretty bizarre sometimes but as a recognized source it should still be included for the sake of thoroughness.

OK, I read some of the post. Just some cause it's way too long, but Leafs fans getting stupidly mad about a service ranking Laine ahead of Matthews is something I buy 100%. They're loopy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad