2016 Draft Thread | 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Worst case scenario.

This guy is Dan Hamhuis 2.0 If we are lucky. "good" at everything "great" at nothing.

This is the type of guy who is a good pick in the mid 1sts

Come on. Dan Hamhuis is "great" at defending.

He won a gold medal.

Offensively, he's great at nothing, I'll give you that. Unless you count whiffing on the back door play four times in one shift something. I've never seen anyone else do that.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
Honestly... this isnt as bad as it could have been. Worst case was oilers winning.

At #4 oilers will take a dman. They CANNOT trade down to 6th because they know they could risk us taking a dman.

So if edmonton takes a dman at 4 then we have our choice of tkchuck or dubios. Not bad and either of them could easily exceed laine or pulj.

NucksRuleYep

Feb 19, 2013
And remember its not just about skill its small amount about position. Tkachuk is a LW which we desperately need. Whats our LW depth chart????? We got nothing.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Honestly... this isnt as bad as it could have been. Worst case was oilers winning.

At #4 oilers will take a dman. They CANNOT trade down to 6th because they know they could risk us taking a dman.

So if edmonton takes a dman at 4 then we have our choice of tkchuck or dubios. Not bad and either of them could easily exceed laine or pulj.

Ah common guys stop trying to sprinkle some sugar atop a piece of poop.

Today we could have been walking away with Matthews and the 2 finns... 3 franchise players. This is the year also where they changed the draft lottery and we move down 2 spots.

This is as crushing as it gets.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Ah common guys stop trying to sprinkle some sugar on a piece of poop.

Today we could have been walking away with Matthews and the 2 finns... 3 franchise players. This is the year also where they changed the draft lottery and we move down 2 spots.

This is as crushing as it gets.

Yeah let's be honest here... I've tried to say everything will be okay but my hope for a cup in the future was crushed today..... I have that much less hope this team will ever win it in my lifetime... Sigh.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Yeah let's be honest here... I've tried to say everything will be okay but my hope for a cup in the future was crushed today..... I have that much less hope this team will ever win it in my lifetime... Sigh.

Exactly. My hopes and dreams was also crushed today. Nothing can make me feel better. Let's face it guys this was the opportunity to get a top 3 pick, in a DEEP draft where there's a drop off after the top 3. This kind of opportunity doesn't happen every year...

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I just went out for Menchies frozen yogurt and I advise you all to do the same. :laugh: a little comfort food goes a long way. Back to being alright drafting at 5. Bring on whoever Benning likes the most.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
And remember its not just about skill its small amount about position. Tkachuk is a LW which we desperately need. Whats our LW depth chart????? We got nothing.

Virtanen.. He plays best on that wing. We'll be picking in this area for awhile, so hopefully we cash in sometime

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I just went out for Menchies frozen yogurt and I advise you all to do the same. :laugh: a little comfort food goes a long way. Back to being alright drafting at 5. Bring on whoever Benning likes the most.

Good idea going to get a bucket of Hagen daz and eat on my couch.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Exactly. My hopes and dreams was also crushed today. Nothing can make me feel better. Let's face it guys this was the opportunity to get a top 3 pick, in a DEEP draft where there's a drop off after the top 3. This kind of opportunity doesn't happen every year...

We'll be picking at/near the top of the draft for awhile. Team needs to stay away from signing big ufa contracts and big vet extensions from this point on. We need to move a guy like Edler for another 1st, bring back Hamhuis shorter term contract, no ntc or do yearly until this expansion team thing is figured out. It's time for this club to fully embrace the rebuild that should've happened years ago.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

Yeah but you can't say you didn't expect it, lol. This team has never had fortune. It's been cursed since 1970 with the Perreault draft. Hardly anything ever goes right for this franchise... I couldn't even imagine a cup at this point. I've been a fan for 25 years and it's been damn painful all the way through... I just hope we can see Horvat lifting the cup in 5-10 years (with us), haha....

We'll be picking at/near the top of the draft for awhile. Team needs to stay away from signing big ufa contracts and big vet extensions from this point on. We need to move a guy like Edler for another 1st, bring back Hamhuis shorter term contract, no ntc or do yearly until this expansion team thing is figured out. It's time for this club to fully embrace the rebuild that should've happened years ago.

Yeah but the question is, is Aquillini going to sit back and let the team rebuild without it having to 'win now'? I really don't know... I really think he's going to want to win fast, and it's going to cost us... MLSE with the Leafs can afford to rebuild and lose for a good amount of years to become a perennial contender.. I don't think Francesco can... Or is willing to.

MatsNaslund19

Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver
Hey guys,

I know how much you LOVE unsolicited rumours, but everything Benning said in that interview reaffirmed what my friend told me. Take it or leave it, but my friend is a reputable source who works in the industry. If you look at my post history, I've never put anything out there like this and I generally try to avoid attention.

Here's the deets I was given yesterday:

- Benning and the gang are all about drafting a centre or a d-man. They don't care about wingers at all.

- That being said, the big three is the big three. They won't hesitate to draft any of those three if they're lucky enough to. Here's the thing though. There's an outside chance they'd take Puljujärvi over Laine, but it's doubtful. The reason is they could try and convert Pulju as a centre.

- It's the same reason they definitively like Dubois at the 4 spot. They'd want to develop him as a centre.

- What's SUPER NOT COOL is that after that, they're all about a d-man. Juolevi is their guy right now, followed by Sergachev. He said he's 90% sure they'd take Juolevi at 6, with a strong chance of reaching even further and taking him if they draft at 5. I hope he's wrong, but as of now they're saying that's where they're leaning.

This really really scares me. In the Murphy interview JB said he would take BPA with such a high pick but he had a dman at 5/6. The question is tkachuk at 4 or pld? is juolevi ahead of tkachuk on jb's board??? Or is Juolevi 6 on his board?

Edm hopefully takes a dman, but if they trade down or take PLD I am really worried. If edm trade down and that team ends up taking tkachuk at 4 we take pld at 5 and run with it. Edmonton may end up taking either tkachuk or pld at 4 as well, since pld can play on the wing or any of the 3 fwd positions. EDM are super deep at centre but its hard to trade down from a top 5 pick and they may be forced to take their bpa (tkachuk or pld) and convert to wing or trade RNH, yakupov, eberle, hall or whoever to make space.

I would be happy with PLD at 5 but if he is not available, I would hope we take the BPA and take Tkachuk. The worry is we reach for Juolevi or Chyc or sergachev at 5 if PLD is off the board. These guys are huge question marks in my eyes and could easily be a bottom pairing d man than a top 2dman. Plus we desperately need scoring replacement for the sedins. Were already one of the worst if not the worst offense in the nhl... If Benning passes on Tkachuk and especially Dubois and reaches for a non consensus player ( a la the Virtanen pick) I will riot.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
This really really scares me. In the Murphy interview JB said he would take BPA with such a high pick but he had a dman at 5/6. The question is tkachuk at 4 or pld? is juolevi ahead of tkachuk on jb's board??? Or is Juolevi 6 on his board?

Edm hopefully takes a dman, but if they trade down or take PLD I am really worried. If edm trade down and that team ends up taking tkachuk at 4 we take pld at 5 and run with it. Edmonton may end up taking either tkachuk or pld at 4 as well, since pld can play on the wing or any of the 3 fwd positions. EDM are super deep at centre but its hard to trade down from a top 5 pick and they may be forced to take their bpa (tkachuk or pld) and convert to wing or trade RNH, yakupov, eberle, hall or whoever to make space.

I would be happy with PLD at 5 but if he is not available, I would hope we take the BPA and take Tkachuk. The worry is we reach for Juolevi or Chyc or sergachev at 5 if PLD is off the board. These guys are huge question marks in my eyes and could easily be a bottom pairing d man than a top 2dman. Plus we desperately need scoring replacement for the sedins. Were already one of the worst if not the worst offense in the nhl... If Benning passes on Tkachuk and especially Dubois and reaches for a non consensus player ( a la the Virtanen pick) I will riot.

Virtanen wasn't an off the board pick.

MatsNaslund19

Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver
Virtanen wasn't an off the board pick.

He wasn't an "off the board" pick but most draft boards had nylander ahead of him. I was hoping we picked Ehlers at the time but was okay with the virtanen pick and still have hope he can be the right choice. Anyways the rumours were that Van was locked in on virtanen at that spot even before knowing who was available to them on draft day, which was what annoyed me.

There was an article a couple years back showing the ineptitude of our drafting under Previous gms/ Delorme and how if we just used a computer and picked the guy with the most points available without looking at any other factors or strength of league we actually would have ended up much better off then how we actually drafted.

My point is that guys like Tkachuk get over scouted and teams over analyze potential flaws or risks instead of focusing on what prospects do well. Take the BPA at 5.... Adress positional needs in ufa and later rounds. Dont pass on guys that have been consensus top 5 picks for an entire year so you can take a prospect that is 1 or 2 spots lower on your bpa board but higher on positional need.
When i say reach I dont mean picking off the board I mean passing on guys that 75 percent of scouts have ahead of the guy you end up drafting.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus

Most Oil fans favor trading the pick outright and Chia's comments give them hope that this will happen. It's all about making the playoffs for them and no D drafted this summer will help that cause. They also like Dubois and if the pick is traded it's reasonable to think that the acquiring team will be in the majority that think the 6 top BPAs are forwards. Everything seems to point to Juolevi for us with small chance at Dubois, Tkachuk or trading down.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yeah but you can't say you didn't expect it, lol. This team has never had fortune. It's been cursed since 1970 with the Perreault draft. Hardly anything ever goes right for this franchise... I couldn't even imagine a cup at this point. I've been a fan for 25 years and it's been damn painful all the way through... I just hope we can see Horvat lifting the cup in 5-10 years (with us), haha....

Yeah but the question is, is Aquillini going to sit back and let the team rebuild without it having to 'win now'? I really don't know... I really think he's going to want to win fast, and it's going to cost us... MLSE with the Leafs can afford to rebuild and lose for a good amount of years to become a perennial contender.. I don't think Francesco can... Or is willing to.

Well he doesn't have much choice, the old core is done, he has to accept the rebuild, this could've went much faster if he accepted it earlier when Gillis want to pull off the rebuild.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Well he doesn't have much choice, the old core is done, he has to accept the rebuild, this could've went much faster if he accepted it earlier when Gillis want to pull off the rebuild.

Easier said. Aquillini is going to be looking for any shortcut possible. Expect an overpayment to a UFA this season and forcing young players into the lineup when they aren't ready.

MatsNaslund19

Oct 8, 2009
Vancouver
Most Oil fans favor trading the pick outright and Chia's comments give them hope that this will happen. It's all about making the playoffs for them and no D drafted this summer will help that cause. They also like Dubois and if the pick is traded it's reasonable to think that the acquiring team will be in the majority that think the 6 top BPAs are forwards. Everything seems to point to Juolevi for us with small chance at Dubois, Tkachuk or trading down.

They could easily draft Tkachuk or Dubois and trade RnH eberle or yakupov for a dman too.
Im happy with either dubois or.tkachuk but It sounds like JB isnt high in Tkachuk which worries me.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
They could easily draft Tkachuk or Dubois and trade RnH eberle or yakupov for a dman too.
Im happy with either dubois or.tkachuk but It sounds like JB isnt high in Tkachuk which worries me.

I have a feeling that the oilers would take tkachuk over dubois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad