2016 Draft Thread | 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I want to go on the record as saying that if Benning picks Logan Brown at #5 it would look extremely bad at the time, but it would ultimately pay off down the road.

I know I'm in the minority that wouldn't be losing my mind if it happens, and I realize I probably SHOULD be if it happened, but I guess that's just how highly I think of Brown. I really think he could be special.

Flame away folks. #controversialopinion

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
y2kcanucks said:
Sounds like something this stupid management group would do. Why have an elite prospect in Tkachuk when we can take someone much worse like Brown?

On one hand, I can see where taking a winger with your top pick for 3 straight years is a problem.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be a problem if they didn't take a non-BPA winger in 2014 with Virtanen.

It's probably crappy management, but I'm convinced we're going to be taking a center in this draft, unless we trade down and take a defender. I'd be shocked if we draft another winger.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I like Brown the player, I'm just a firm believer in BPA so he shouldn't be the pick at 5. If you get proper value to move down and pick him, then fair enough.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I like Brown the player, I'm just a firm believer in BPA so he shouldn't be the pick at 5. If you get proper value to move down and pick him, then fair enough.

Oh, I agree, ideally. I'm just saying that if Benning did go that route, it would still pay off. I guess it just wouldn't be that smart if you can trade down and get an extra asset.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I want to go on the record as saying that if Benning picks Logan Brown at #5 it would look extremely bad at the time, but it would ultimately pay off down the road.

I know I'm in the minority that wouldn't be losing my mind if it happens, and I realize I probably SHOULD be if it happened, but I guess that's just how highly I think of Brown. I really think he could be special.

Flame away folks. #controversialopinion

It may pan out, but the chances of Tkachuk and Dubois hitting those ceilings are better odds. And unfortunately, we'd have to deal with Tkachuk/Dubois as a Flame and Oiler for the next 15 years.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It may pan out, but the chances of Tkachuk and Dubois hitting those ceilings are better odds. And unfortunately, we'd have to deal with Tkachuk/Dubois as a Flame and Oiler for the next 15 years.

Yeah, now THAT I wouldn't be particularly thrilled with.

I guess it depends on the outlook for next season too. There's obviously no way of knowing but if the Canucks are indeed a lottery team again, well then it's a no brainer to wait for a shot at Nolan Patrick.

Last edited:

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Cosentino has the Canucks taking Puljujarvi at #5. I'll take it...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sam-cosentinos-2016-nhl-mock-draft/
tumblr_np4vklBjw21qj4315o1_500.gif

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Yeah, not THAT I wouldn't be particularly thrilled with.

I guess it depends on the outlook for next season too. There's obviously no way of knowing but if the Canucks are indeed a lottery team again, well then it's a no brainer to wait for a shot at Nolan Patrick.

A long shot at Nolan Patrick.

Lets do some Scott Steiner math here.

even if they finish last the canucks only have a 20% chance of winning the lottery

Take that 20% chance and divide it by canucks luck and you have a 0% percent chance of the canucks drafting Nolan Patrick and a 100% chance of selecting 4th overall.

I think we should be looking at the other prospects in the 2017 draft because Nolan Patrick will not be a canuck even in the likely scenario that we are dog **** again next season.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Drafting Brown is literally "high risk and high reward". I am not sure the Canucks are in a position to do that. If he turns out to be a 70 point, 2 way power forward who dominates below the hash marks, then yeah, that's a dream come true. Easily a top 3 pick in every draft. But he projects more like a 2nd liner at best.

Tthe hockey world seems to be in agreement that Dubois and Tkachuk hitting those odds of being a 1st liner NHLer are higher, or at the very least, much more realistic which is why all drafts list either above Brown.

If this goes down:

EDM - Dubois
VAN - Brown
CGY - Tkachuk

The Canucks fanbase will lose it....

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
And yeah, I think if Dubois goes at 4 we're going to draft Logan Brown.
Would you like this result if it happened? I remember you didn't like Tkachuk a lot so would Brown be more preferable to you?

I don't see a huge issue with taking 3 wingers in consecutive drafts with the top pick. In theory, take BPA then trade from a position of strength to address your weaknesses. But obviously that requires adequate management to execute...

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
If Dubois is gone and they want Brown then might as well trade down a bit and take a chance that he is still there.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Be positive.

We are getting PLD.

After all the speculation, top 5 picks are seldom traded. Edmonton takes Tkachuk and we get our boy to groom at centre!

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
For me personally, I don't mind targeting a position in the draft as long as the players available at that pick are very close in terms of skill. I have very much been someone saying we should be targeting d-men and a high end center in the past couple of drafts, but picking Brown at 5 is too far of a reach for me. If we absolutely don't want to take a winger, I'd either trade back to get more picks, take a d-man in Chychrun, or take a center in Keller.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
One thing I don't understand about all the Tkachuk hype is he's not a gritty player like his father was - and even then, Keith was fairly lazy and only took the body when he felt like it - it's similar to the scouting reports we got about Brandon Sutter when he was first traded here. The name might say grit, but the performance and statistics don't back it.

That said, I'd still rather have Tkachuk than Brown. Rather have Sergachev than Brown, too, but I reckon he'll slip to 9-10. At this point, as long as everything goes to plan and Dubois falls to the Canucks at five, I won't have anything to complain about, but that's up in the air. Sigh.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Would you like this result if it happened? I remember you didn't like Tkachuk a lot so would Brown be more preferable to you?

I don't see a huge issue with taking 3 wingers in consecutive drafts with the top pick. In theory, take BPA then trade from a position of strength to address your weaknesses. But obviously that requires adequate management to execute...

I like Tkachuk's talent but not his motor - I think his three-zone game is pretty lacking at this stage, and it's more of an issue because of his skating. I think he'll be a good 60-ish point NHL winger, though.

I would probably take him over Brown. Brown has more upside but he scares the living crap out of me. And is probably going to have a much longer curve before becoming a solid NHL player, and contribute much less before reaching UFA status.

I agree that you should always draft BPA. But I can also see an issue with drafting for the least important position for 3 straight years. But that's management's fault for taking Virtanen because of HITS! and LOCAL GUY!

I feel the same as in 2014, where we're kind of in the crap position of being the highest pick after the best guys have gone by, and it's somewhere we should trade up or down from if we have the opportunity and can get value.

I've kind of gone back the other way again on Dubois, by the way, and he would be my choice here if available.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I like Tkachuk's talent but not his motor - I think his three-zone game is pretty lacking at this stage, and it's more of an issue because of his skating. I think he'll be a good 60-ish point NHL winger, though.

I would probably take him over Brown. Brown has more upside but he scares the living crap out of me. And is probably going to have a much longer curve before becoming a solid NHL player, and contribute much less before reaching UFA status.

I agree that you should always draft BPA. But I can also see an issue with drafting for the least important position for 3 straight years. But that's management's fault for taking Virtanen because of HITS! and LOCAL GUY!

I feel the same as in 2014, where we're kind of in the crap position of being the highest pick after the best guys have gone by, and it's somewhere we should trade up or down from if we have the opportunity and can get value.

I've kind of gone back the other way again on Dubois, by the way, and he would be my choice here if available.

I disagree. I think Calgary is in that position this year. We're in a very good spot at 5 where we're guaranteed one of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, or Dubois. Excellent position to be in compared to what 6 looks like.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I disagree. I think Calgary is in that position this year. We're in a very good spot at 5 where we're guaranteed one of Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, Tkachuk, or Dubois. Excellent position to be in compared to what 6 looks like.

I'm fine holding for Dubois.

I don't like Tkachuk nearly as much as you.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Agreed, although let's be honest. It's really two players with an outside shot at Jesse.

CGY has the worst position assuming we don't screw up ours.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
I'm in the group that usually prefers to build the roster strength down the middle over strength on the wing but I just don't see any true #1 centers in this draft outside of Matthews and possibly Dubois. We badly need a number 1 center to replace Hank but you can't force something that isn't there or you'll end up making mistake after mistake. There will be better opportunities in the future (I see dark days and a few years in the basement ahead when the Sedins go home to Sweden) where a clear cut #1 center prospect slaps this team in the face and says take me. In the event Dubois goes 4 it would be nice to surround Hank's future replacement with his own Daniel Sedin type 1st line winger.

Brown is simply not the answer and I hope for his sake he goes to a team where there isn't expectations beyond his abilities. Poor kid would be walking in Hank's shadow and being a 2nd line center would leave fans feeling disappointed.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
One thing I don't understand about all the Tkachuk hype is he's not a gritty player like his father was
Would gritty describe Marchand or Domi? I would say their "grittiness" is in a similar fashion, more chippy (perhaps a better word) and agitating style than brute force kind of grittiness.

That's a fair assessment of his flaws. I agree with your projection as well. I see him as Brayden Schenn in style and in projection, which is a 60 point winger.

Agree with Brown. I see him as high high potential but also highly risk, a much higher risk than we have with the general consensus options of Dubois and Tkachuk.

But I do think we are in a better position than 2014, I think we are at the cutoff of a tier, rather than the start like 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad