2016 Draft Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Sean Day at 244 :amazed:. I know he's 6'3, but wow.

This means he's the next Byfuglien. AND he's ranked as a 2nd/3rd round pick, so we could actually get him. Plus, he's basically a Michigander by osmosis at this point.

All of these are excellent reasons to draft him.

Cannot believe he has fallen that far down projections. Once upon a time USA Hockey and Hockey Canada were in a death struggle for him. Stunned to see he isn't top 10 material, he had that much hype as a youngster. By the way for a guy that big he still skates incredibly well in my opinion.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Cannot believe he has fallen that far down projections. Once upon a time USA Hockey and Hockey Canada were in a death struggle for him. Stunned to see he isn't top 10 material, he had that much hype as a youngster. By the way for a guy that big he still skates incredibly well in my opinion.
I'm sure they just have him in the second. But even so, he could be a nice mid to late 1st round value pick. If that kid finds his game, look out.

It's not like he hasn't produced, either. 36 points in 61 games is a really solid 17 year old season for a defenseman. Granted, he was -27, but that was a pretty bad Mississauga team.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
As a major fan of Kovalchuk and his physical talents & abilities, watching Pulujarvi was really exciting. I am a sucker for pure shooters, and this kid seems to have it in the making. No matter where he goes, I hope he develops into a tremendous NHL player. I am now a fan of his.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm sure they just have him in the second. But even so, he could be a nice mid to late 1st round value pick. If that kid finds his game, look out.

It's not like he hasn't produced, either. 36 points in 61 games is a really solid 17 year old season for a defenseman. Granted, he was -27, but that was a pretty bad Mississauga team.

I just honestly would have had him near my Top 15, I cannot believe his stock has fallen that far was all.

I would be all over Day in the first round if I was the Wings.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Future Considerations has him at #10 but neither Button (top-41), Bob (top-21) or HockeyProspect.com (top-30) have him on their lists. I haven't checked other rankings yet.

I remember there were quite a few critics when he was granted exceptional status into the OHL.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
This might be the year the Wings finally take a Dman in the first round. This looks like a strong year for defenseman in the first round. A lot of strong offensive Dmen this year and we could see nearly half the players taken in the first round be Dmen.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I would not take Sean Day in the first round as it stands. Maybe a lot will change with him over the course of this year and he still is pretty young.

I will say, his skating level at his size is pretty crazy. While his skating rates towards the elite end, the rest of his game is average at best. He never truly stands out like you want him to when you watch him.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Hoping the Wings draft either Dante Fabbro or Olli Juolevi. Both should be available in the mid first. Fabbro is going to rip up the BCHL and Juolevi looks like the next Maatta.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Hoping the Wings draft either Dante Fabbro or Olli Juolevi. Both should be available in the mid first. Fabbro is going to rip up the BCHL and Juolevi looks like the next Maatta.

Two guys I am very interested in at this point. This draft is looking quite promising for talented defensemen.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Do you guys think Detroit might take 4 or 5 D this draft, kind of like how they took mostly Cs two years ago when their cupboard was looking a little barren of high impact Cs?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Do you guys think Detroit might take 4 or 5 D this draft, kind of like how they took mostly Cs two years ago when their cupboard was looking a little barren of high impact Cs?

I can only hope. But they seriously will not deviate from drafting BPA for anything. I truly believe it.

See: Almost drafting Ilya Samsonov

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I would think that they would have to, Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen are all out of waiver options next summer. I could see possibly two making the club next summer one of Marchenko/Ouellet and the other being Jensen as the 7th Dman. I think it's quite possible that Holland finally moves on from Kindl. Opening the door to bring up Jensen next summer just a hunch I have. But I almost bet that Holland will target some D next summer. I can't see any way around it.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I would think that they would have to, Marchenko, Ouellet, Sproul and Jensen are all out of waiver options next summer. I could see possibly two making the club next summer one of Marchenko/Ouellet and the other being Jensen as the 7th Dman. I think it's quite possible that Holland finally moves on from Kindl. Opening the door to bring up Jensen next summer just a hunch I have. But I almost bet that Holland will target some D next summer. I can't see any way around it.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see Holland go the Marchenko route late in this draft and get someone a little older who is closer to AHL hockey. Our system isn't really that stocked with pro-ready defenseman. De Haas, Hicketts, Haloway and Saarijarvi are the only ones eligible. I think I read that the Wings still like McNulty so maybe he can get himself an AHL deal after his WHL career.

But ya, I expect a lot of defense this draft.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Sure seems like there are a lot of really good defensemen available. Luke Green seems like an interesting one. RH, really fast skater, offensive skill. Not super big, still learning his own end. We could have Mike Green teach Luke Green the way of the Greens. I guess he's more of a Karlsson type than a Green type, though. Speed, puckhandling, pinching, etc.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=195389

Last edited:

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Future Considerations October Rankings are out

They've got Chad Krys at 22, would love to be able to grab him. Found some blurbs for you guys:

Described by USHR as “an effortless skater who can single-handedly take over games,” Krys is a playmaking defenseman with superior vision and a “knack for finding open teammates.” In 2014, he was the top ranked skater for the QMJHL draft.

http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/2015/08/elite-blueliner-chad-krys-commits-to-bu.html

Krys is the biggest standout of the [NTDP U17 defense]. He consistently joined the rush as a fourth forward, yet I didn't see a single instance where he got caught out of position and didn't make it back into his position. It's like there were two of him out there. He's super-patient with the puck because any time he is pressured, he can use his superior skating ability to spin away from trouble and keep possession of the puck. He holds both blue lines really well because he doesn't have to worry as much about getting beat with his skating ability. Even the one time I saw him get beat--Dylan Malmquist came down the wing 1-on-1 with him and Malmquist made a nice move that got Krys to cross his feet over--he was able to recover with two quick strides and still make the play.

In the offensive zone, he's definitely looking to pass first. His shot is okay, but not special.He's got tremendous vision though, and did a terrific job finding passing lanes.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/col...154407/chad-krys-commits-to-boston-university

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I honestly hope that the Wings just pull off the Center strategy the pulled in 2014 when they realized they had a dearth of depth and just say "F*** it" and blow their first 4 picks on Defense. There's a long enough precendence of solid defense grabbed in the 2nd and 3rd and hope they return back some serious high risk high reward projects.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Anybody know anything about Charles McAvery? Found this report and I'm intrigued by his size (6-1, 194 lb.) and skill, especially for being only 17 (Dec Bday).

http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/2013/08/offense-minded-d-man-commits-to-bu.html

Another very good defensemen from the NDTP. I think he scored in BU's first game. I am impressed with guys who step into good NCAA hockey during their draft years and meaningfully contribute.

I would also invite his teammate Diffley to the next prospects camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad