2016 Draft Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I wish Keifer Bellows played pivot. I love his game; he seems to have inherited the pi$$ and vinegar his old man had. And he would be available in the Wings range.

I'm sticking with my guns and hoping for Kunin, as center depth is sorely lacking in the pipeline. I'm sure Kenny will take someone none of us expected, as usual.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wish Keifer Bellows played pivot. I love his game; he seems to have inherited the pi$$ and vinegar his old man had. And he would be available in the Wings range.

I'm sticking with my guns and hoping for Kunin, as center depth is sorely lacking in the pipeline. I'm sure Kenny will take someone none of us expected, as usual.

Really would prefer a center or defenseman, but I think Bellows will go on to score a lot of goals in the league. His shot is pretty filthy and he pays the price to go to scoring areas.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Really would prefer a center or defenseman, but I think Bellows will go on to score a lot of goals in the league. His shot is pretty filthy and he pays the price to go to scoring areas.

I can see Bellows turning out to be a rich man's Justin Abdelkader.

Last year I called out Dylan Strome to be the biggest bust, this year I'm picking Jake Bean.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can see Bellows turning out to be a rich man's Justin Abdelkader.

Last year I called out Dylan Strome to be the biggest bust, this year I'm picking Jake Bean.

Bellows kind of reminds me of Rychel from a few years ago.

His shot is way, way better than Abdelkader's. Or it will be at least.

We need dynamic offensive defenseman, and Jake Bean is arguably the most dynamic offensive defenseman in the draft. Just has a lot of warts IMO. Not sure how I'd feel about drafting him.

Aug 6, 2012
I don't understand why Rubtsov is projected to go so low in the draft. Everything I hear about him is really good stuff. He's committed to coming to NA right?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't understand why Rubtsov is projected to go so low in the draft. Everything I hear about him is really good stuff. He's committed to coming to NA right?

Well, the scouting report on anyone projected to go in the first 20-25 picks is going to be very complimentary.

Here is Mckenzie on Rubtsov:

So I think the x factor with Rubtsov is... how much offense are you getting?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Rubstov's scouting report doesnt scream high end potential to me. more of a safer pick and good 2-way game, but not game breaking talent. havent watched the guy play but just my gut feeling

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Rubstov's scouting report doesnt scream high end potential to me. more of a safer pick and good 2-way game, but not game breaking talent. havent watched the guy play but just my gut feeling

He's got some elite offensive potential but the consensus is generally that he's always going to be a defense first responsible player that leaves you wanting more points.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He's got some elite offensive potential but the consensus is generally that he's always going to be a defense first responsible player that leaves you wanting more points.

Don't know about 'elite' offensive potential, if teams believe he had that along with his already established defensive game, we would be talking about a slam dunk top 5-10 pick.

seems a bit similar to Sheahan?

Not really similar. Really likes to move the puck and will probably be an assist-heavy guy. Not sure who a great comparison would be, but the Datsyuk comparison is just asking for disappointment. Maybe Plekanec?

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't know about 'elite' offensive potential, if teams believe he had that along with his already established defensive game, we would be talking about a slam dunk top 5-10 pick.

Not really similar. Really likes to move the puck and will probably be an assist-heavy guy. Not sure who a great comparison would be, but the Datsyuk comparison is just asking for disappointment. Maybe Plekanec?

Id say Sheahan would rather pass than shoot. I like Rubstov and think he would be a good player. But I feel like a little more risk is neccesary to get a potential high cieling guy. Bellows seems a bit more high end and is in that mid-1st range. I've seen him listed as C and LW.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Id say Sheahan would rather pass than shoot. I like Rubstov and think he would be a good player. But I feel like a little more risk is neccesary to get a potential high cieling guy. Bellows seems a bit more high end and is in that mid-1st range. I've seen him listed as C and LW.

I think Rubtsov's ceiling is fine, I just would prefer to draft a scorer with a team already full of guys who love to defer every chance they get. I lean towards Kunin over Rubtsov for this reason.

Bellows would be the only winger we could draft that I would not hate, think he is actually tailor-made to play with Dylan Larkin, but I don't think he is a center moving forward.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

I can't comment on Rubstov either, but I felt the same way about Larkin when we drafted him. Hopefully it's the same kind of deal here.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

We are drafting at 16. No one likely to be available will have a super high ceiling. The odds of finding a top line forward or a top pairing defensemen at that point in the draft are actually pretty low.

I don't understand why you would call Bellows more high-end than Rubtsov. Bellows is a very, very good goal scorer. He does not, however, have elite hands (which appears to be your knock on Rubstov) and is a relatively mediocre skater.

This happens every year on this board. As soon as a player gets labeled as a two-way player, people presume that they necessarily lack skill. Like ****ing clockwork.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I hate using highlight reels to make judgments, but McLeod really reminded me of Ryan Getzlaf there.

I don't get the Getzlaf comparison. McLeod is an elite, elite skater that scores a ton in transition. Even today Getzlaf is a ho hum skater that does most of his work below the dots.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't get the Getzlaf comparison. McLeod is an elite, elite skater that scores a ton in transition. Even today Getzlaf is a ho hum skater that does most of his work below the dots.

Sounds more like Vermette, than anything IMO.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
The mock drafts which have the Wings picking Robtsov at 16 because the Wings don't shy away from Russians, would have been very compelling about 20 years ago, but especially not now in the post-Datsyuk era. I don't see them going out of their way to add another Russian.

I think the Wings want defenders. So, McAvoy, or Bean, or Fabbro, maybe Stanley.

In every draft that I can remember, we witness a few teams reaching for defenders, which later makes available forwards who were ranked much lower. I'm not so sure this will be a draft when the Wings will try to take advantage of that. Instead, I see the Wings more likely to be a team that reaches for a defender if need be.

Granted, they also need goal scorers. So, if not a defender, more recent than tending to draft Russians, or Swedes for that matter, they have shown a like for local prospects or guys with good pedigrees. So, that leaves possibilities for guys like Brown and Bellows, if they are looking at forwards in the first round.

I would be surprised to see them go Robtsov.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Granted, they also need goal scorers. So, if not a defender, more recent than tending to draft Russians, or Swedes for that matter, they have shown a like for local prospects or guys with good pedigrees. So, that leaves possibilities for guys like Brown and Bellows, if they are looking at forwards in the first round.

This would be Max Jones, in a nutshell.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

I'm basing that on the highlight reel, which is a bunch of snips of McLeod setting people up for goals below the hash marks. There isn't a lot of goal scoring on McLeod's part at all and speed isn't really the takeaway there. It's the playmaking in close that is.

Again. That's a conditional view based on the highlight reel. Hence why I prefaced my comment that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad