2016 draft revisited

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The way the league works now and how hard it is to get good young players under contract, hindsight might say that now you take the best centres and D men available when you get a top 2-3 pick in the draft, regardless of if there's a slightly better winger.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I realize that draft hindsight is 20/20 and makes for fun, albeit useless discussion....BUT

Is there any doubt that we would be a better team with Dubois, maybe even Tkachuk or McAvoy?

Yes, there is doubt of that.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Too much recency bias here. Laine didn't play in the playoffs but has been good there each year hes been in them for us.

His offense outside of one year has been better then both Dubois and Tkachuk.

Also I dont trust that Mauroce would actually transition Dubois to center given how he's handled every other one of our natural C prospects. Dubois was drafted as a winger and the Blue Jackets had the foresite to move him to the middle. I dont believe Maurice does that.

Macavoy would have given the Jets a very nice top pairing but at the time our right side was incredibly strong.

Edit: Tkachuk has actually been a no show in the playoffs. Can you imagine how much we would by piling on him for his whopping 5 points in 13 games.

Playoff results:
Laine 16 points in 24 games
Mathews 16 points in 23 games
Dubois 12 points in 19 games
Tkachuk 5 points in 13 games

Laine has been just fine when compared to the top the other top 3 forwards of his draft year.

Minor correction, Tkachuk has played 15 PO games, not 13.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This post season. Prior to this he has essentially been a 55 ish point C in the league and only put up 5 points in 10 playoff games last year. I love Dubois but take out the recency bias of last night and he hasn't set the league on fire yet as a player.

:laugh: Just realized how old this thread is. Somehow managed to miss it before.

Anyway, I think you are downplaying PLD a bit. He scored 61 pts last year, in 82 games. He was on pace for 57 this year, on a team that couldn't give him a lot of help on the wings. He only just turned 22. He almost certainly would have broken the 20 goal mark for a 3rd consecutive season. I think he would be scoring more like 65-70 pts on a better team, with more to come.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
:laugh: Just realized how old this thread is. Somehow managed to miss it before.

Anyway, I think you are downplaying PLD a bit. He scored 61 pts last year, in 82 games. He was on pace for 57 this year, on a team that couldn't give him a lot of help on the wings. He only just turned 22. He almost certainly would have broken the 20 goal mark for a 3rd consecutive season. I think he would be scoring more like 65-70 pts on a better team, with more to come.

Very possible. I really likenthe kid he just seems to be a bit inconsistent in some of the games I have watched. Not all that uncommon i young players.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The way the league works now and how hard it is to get good young players under contract, hindsight might say that now you take the best centres and D men available when you get a top 2-3 pick in the draft, regardless of if there's a slightly better winger.
What about this year's draft?

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
What about this year's draft?

If I’m the jets and I had 1st pick this year, yes I’d think long and hard about Byfield 1st over Lafreniere.

Think of this: say you draft Lafreniere. Now you have Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine, Connor and Laf as top 6 wingers. Obviously you need to trade one for a young top 6C or top D.

You're not getting an equivalent young C for a young winger one for one. That means you're gonna have to take a slightly worse young player at C for a young winger in a trade, which is basically exactly what taking Byfield over Laf would be in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad