2016 Draft: 4th Pick: Matt Cairns

Noah88

Apr 30, 2016
Off the board. But can't judge, I don't know him.
Was mostly ranked between 100 and 120.

PS: Wouldn't it make sense if the Draft position was written in the Player threads?
If Cairns was the Oilers 4th, 5th or 6th pick doesn't really matter.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Another pick I love! I follow draft prospects heavily each year for a fantasy keeper league, and so I read a lot about Cairns leading up to the draft.

I love this pick. 6'2" defenseman. Great skater, smart, nice skillset, very good defensively. Perhaps underscouted since he played in the OJHL to preserve college eligibility.

He sounds like a player who will be an NHLer down the road. If the offense doesn't translate, he's still got the size, defensive smarts and skill level to play in a shutdown role.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Scouting report:

Future Considerations said:
Cairns is a highly intelligent, two-way defender who impacts the game in all three zones. In his own zone, he shows excellent awareness and strong positional play. Using strong positioning and an active stick, he shows impressive contain with the ability to separate the player from the puck with relative ease. While he could stand to add more tenaciousness to his game, Cairns certainly does not shy away from engaging physically, however, he uses it more as a tool than an intimidation factor.

In possession, he shows excellent poise and patience, and is a real calming presence. Cairns shows an ability to make a strong first pass, but also an ability to be an effective puckcarrying defender. A strong decision maker, he makes the smart play and rarely turns pucks over. Offensively, this rearguard sees the ice well, and shows an ability create from the back end by effectively creating shooting lanes and injecting himself into the play at the appropriate times.

Boasting a powerful point shot, Cairns rarely winds up for a slap shot, but instead, gets pucks on net with a quick snap shot that comes with a ton of velocity and impressive accuracy. A defender that exudes confidence, he could easily fit into most OHL teams’ top four defensively right now. He is a relatively low-upside player, but also a solid bet to play in the NHL with his skill set

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Redline definitely isn't high on him. They had him rated 115 overall and very much question his hockey sense. Say positioning and decision making are sub-par.

"Strong like tank, dumb like rock" is an exact quote.

Aside from that little blurb in Redline I know absolutely zero about him.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
yeah, i got nuthin.

At least he's going to Cornell's program to play with (?).

It's been a long time since Ken Dryden but the school also had Greening and Scrivens come through there more recently.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
LONG term prospect. Cornell in 2017-18.

However, I really like him. He plays tough yet can move the puck and has a decent shot. Lots of upside.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Don't hate the pick. Solid 3rd round pick that is a project.

i don't hate it either but there are other players the Oilers could have taken instead but Cairns did have some good offensive totals. i was aware of him because i had picked him a few times in the mocks i was playing, though a little lower than where he went.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Redline definitely isn't high on him. They had him rated 115 overall and very much question his hockey sense. Say positioning and decision making are sub-par.

"Strong like tank, dumb like rock" is an exact quote.

Sounds pretty bad. Would prefer an intelligent player as a starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad