2016 Carolina Hurricanes Collective Prospect Ranking

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
The 2016 draft happened a few weeks ago, we just got a nice look at our prospects at prospect camp, I think it's time we do a prospect ranking!

How it's going to work
This will be a collective ranking, not a poll. Please submit to me via private message your rankings of who you think are the Hurricanes top 15 prospects. (Please do not publicly post your rankings yet, as I don't want any bias into your rankings :laugh: )

The point system will work like this; 1st gets 15 points, 2nd gets 14 points, 14th gets 2 pts, 15th gets 1pt, etc... Next week (July 21st) I will tally up the numbers from your rankings collectively and release the results. Released will be the top 15 prospects in order, and (5) honorable mentions.

To be considered a prospect the player must have played in less than 25 NHL games, and must be 24 years or younger.

If you need a refresher on who are prospects are - http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/carolina_hurricanes/ (This list isn’t 100% correct, like PDG is no longer a prospect, also not on this list is our 2016 draft picks Bean, Gauthier, Kuokkanen, Filipe, Elynuik, Lafontaine, Zimmer, Helvig, and Caroll)

Look forward to seeing the results! Very curious how it compares to my list.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
2016 Carolina Hurricanes Prospect Rankings Results.

1. Aho
Highest ranking (1st)
Lowest ranking (3rd)
Total Points: 222

2. Fleury
Highest ranking (1st)
Lowest ranking (4th)
Total Points: 207

3. Gauthier
Highest ranking (2nd)
Lowest ranking (7th)
Total points: 181

4. Bean
Highest ranking (3rd)
Lowest ranking (10th)
Total points: 172

5. McKeown
Highest ranking (2nd)
Lowest ranking (10th)
Total points: 151

6. Nedeljkovic
Highest ranking (2nd)
Lowest ranking (10th)
Total Points: 148

7. Roy
Highest ranking (3rd)
Lowest ranking (11th)
Total Points: 133

8. Saarela
Highest ranking (6th)
Lowest ranking (14th)
Total points: 114

9. Kuokkanen
Highest ranking (4th)
Lowest ranking (13th)
Total points: 108

10. Carrick

Highest ranking (5th)
Lowest ranking (11th)
Total points: 100

11. Mcginn
Highest ranking (6th)
Lowest ranking (NR)
Total Points: 50

12. Foegele
Highest ranking (5th)
Lowest ranking (NR)
Total Points: 46

13. Zykov
Highest ranking (7th)
Lowest ranking (NR)
Total points: 42

14. Tolchinsky
Highest ranking (9th)
Lowest ranking (NR)
Total points: 35

15. Wallmark
Highest ranking (8th)
Lowest ranking (NR)
Total points: 34

Honorable Mentions
Altshuller - High (8th) | Pts: 15
Booth - High (10th) | Pts: 14
Poturalski - High (13th) | Pts: 7
Filipe - High (10th) | Pts: 5
Elynuik - High (13th) | Pts: 5
Helvig - High (12th) | Pts: 4
Zimmer - High (13th) | Pts: 3
Cotton - High (14th) | Pts: 2
Brown - High (15th) | Pts: 1
Bishop - High (15th) | Pts: 1

Last edited:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
For British eyes only:

Centers
Clark Bishop
Patrick Brown
David Cotton
Hudson Elynuik
Steven Lorentz
Andrew Poturalski
Nicolas Roy
Aleksi Saarela
Brody Sutter
Lucas Wallmark

LW
Sebastian Aho (LW/C/RW it seems)
Ryan Bayda
Matt Filipe
Warren Foegele
Janne Kuokkanen (LW/C)
Brock McGinn
Luke Stevens
Sergey Tolchinsky
Max Zimmer

RW
Julien Gauthier
Spencer Smallman
Brendan Woods
Valentin Zykov

D
Jake Bean
Trevor Carrick
Noah Carroll
Jake Chelios
Haydn Fleury
Roland McKeown
Dennis Robertson
Josh Wesley

G
Daniel Altshuller
Callum Booth
Jeremy Helvig
Jack LaFontaine
Alex Nedeljkovic
Colin Olson
Rasmus Tirronen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
For British eyes only:

Centers
Clark Bishop
Patrick Brown
David Cotton
Hudson Elynuik
Steven Lorentz
Andrew Poturalski
Nicolas Roy
Aleksi Saarela
Brody Sutter
Lucas Wallmark

LW
Sebastian Aho (LW/C/RW it seems)
Ryan Bayda
Matt Filipe
Warren Foegele
Janne Kuokkanen (LW/C)
Brock McGinn
Luke Stevens
Sergey Tolchinsky
Max Zimmer

:huh:

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Lolol wut, Ryan Bayda :laugh: He's still managing to play hockey over in the Dutch hockey league.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I thought about using Bayda as a joke at the end but my list filled up easier than I expected. Definitely made me realize how much more talent is now in the system

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I thought about using Bayda as a joke at the end but my list filled up easier than I expected. Definitely made me realize how much more talent is now in the system

Same here. When I made my list it really made me say "wow", Ron Francis has really built some incredible prospect depth.

I remember the Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, & Peters days, and that's just about all we had to look forward to. I look at that those guys as if we had (4-5) darts to hit the bullseye. Today I look at our prospect pool, and we have a solid 15-20 darts to throw and hit that bullseye.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
There really is a lot of guys who seem like they'll be 3rd or 4th liners. Still seems like a long shot for anyone to anchor a top 2 line though.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
There really is a lot of guys who seem like they'll be 3rd or 4th liners. Still seems like a long shot for anyone to anchor a top 2 line though.

True, but that kinda makes sense though. Top 6 players usually come from the 1st or 2nd round picks and the only 1st/2nd rounders in that list are:

Gauthier, Aho, Kuokkanen and McGinn. McGinn is probably the only one I'd say has little to no chance.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
True, but that kinda makes sense though. Top 6 players usually come from the 1st or 2nd round picks and the only 1st/2nd rounders in that list are:

Gauthier, Aho, Kuokkanen and McGinn. McGinn is probably the only one I'd say has little to no chance.

No doubt. Just looking forward, it's easy to get excited because of all the depth, but, in my mind, they have these type of guys already in the lineup. TT, Lindholm, Nestrasil, Rask, Staal, PDG, Skinner, etc... Guys in that 30-50 range who are okay in the top 6, but not guys you want to be the focal point of a line in the top 6.

Going to be tough to compete with teams rolling out Crosby/Malkin/Kessel or Stamkos/Kucherov/Drouin. I wonder how many teams are going to have 3 forwards better than anyone on the Canes roster or in the system is every projected to be next season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
No doubt. Just looking forward, it's easy to get excited because of all the depth, but, in my mind, they have these type of guys already in the lineup. TT, Lindholm, Nestrasil, Rask, Staal, PDG, Skinner, etc... Guys in that 30-50 range who are okay in the top 6, but not guys you want to be the focal point of a line in the top 6.

Going to be tough to compete with teams rolling out Crosby/Malkin/Kessel or Stamkos/Kucherov/Drouin. I wonder how many teams are going to have 3 forwards better than anyone on the Canes roster or in the system is every projected to be next season.

No question about it. Short term, the Canes are going to be built more like the prior Nashville Predators than they are any of the Cup teams. That will have to change at some point to get a cup, but it may be via trade (like the Johanson for Jones move), free agency or getting lucky with a later pick as I don't think the Canes will be picking in the top 5, where all but one of the players you listed were chosen.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No question about it. Short term, the Canes are going to be built more like the prior Nashville Predators than they are any of the Cup teams. That will have to change at some point to get a cup, but it may be via trade (like the Johanson for Jones move), free agency or getting lucky with a later pick as I don't think the Canes will be picking in the top 5, where all but one of the players you listed were chosen.

we are building exactly like the preds

in a year or two we will be ready for a jones-johansen type trade

hopefully in the meantime gauthier becomes that top 6 guy, and aho becomes our "forsberg"

we are so close to being close i can taste it

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've got 11 lists so far! Hope to get a few more from you guys, make sure you get your lists PM'd to me by Thursday night. Will release the results on Friday.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The way the canes are going reminds me so much of the Predators; it's funny that they now have Laviolette as coach and play a more run and gun style like the Canes used to. So excited to watch PK as a Pred, they are going to be an entertaining team this year for sure.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I've extended the deadline until 5pm today to get your lists in! Will hopefully find time tonight to tally up the results, if not I'll do it tomorrow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad