Pre-Game Talk: 2016 Canucks Development Camp

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Stewart is listed as a dman. Typo or another position change?

Odd that Curtis Valk is back again.

windflare

May 31, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Some interesting names. Maksimovich, Eduards Tralmaks, another Latvian forward with a good frame and committed to Maine for next season, leads his EHL team by a good margin in scoring. Michael Carcone from the Q, and Oliver Galipeau on the backend.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
These are the best undrafted camp invites I've ever seen in like 15 years of following it.

Bizarre how much better I like the invites than I do our actual late-round draft picks.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I like the invites. I really like the Coulter invite, big strong hard-working kid that can play up and down a line-up. He has good hockey sense and offensive awareness. Sweeney, big strong defensive defenceman that can shutdown forwards. 6'4 kid, he jumps into the rush and moves the puck up a little. Burghardt had a good year in the OHL on a weak team in Guelph. Kubic is a good goalie invite, played on a poor team but he's a good goalie, battles hard to makes saves, and has a good attitude.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The 98 guys that went undrafted can't get signed right ? Am I right in saying they have to enter the draft again ?

The 1997 and 1998 guys can be signed, but only during the summer. Once October hits, they're no longer eligible to be signed and go back into the draft.

Kellan Tochkin and Evan McEneny were both signed the summer after being passed over in the draft for the first time.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Which of these invitees are eligible/ineligible to sign following the camp? Which have to be redrafted?

Here's the relevant section of the CBA.

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or
older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was
signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry
Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.

(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age
20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed
and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft
and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such
Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered
with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for
signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club
shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).

(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was
age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which
was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the
Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

So any North American players who were passed in the draft can be signed before the start of the season.

As well as any 1994 born or older Europeans can be signed.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
These are the best undrafted camp invites I've ever seen in like 15 years of following it.

Bizarre how much better I like the invites than I do our actual late-round draft picks.

Beginning to warm to Jimbo and his scouting background....probably knew many of these camp invitees weren't likely going to be picked, so didn't need to expend a pick on them...wonder if some of these kids will end up in the Young-Stars tourney in Penticton?...that's where you'll really be able to judge....but you have to admit that Canucks have become far better at unearthing some potential gems in later rounds and keeping tabs on the most promising un-drafted FA's.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
Glad that Gaudette decided to join, there was so much talk about him hating the Canucks pre-draft. Nice to see him paying his own way to be up here. He really turned it up after getting some decent play time, would hate to lose him.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Glad that Gaudette decided to join, there was so much talk about him hating the Canucks pre-draft. Nice to see him paying his own way to be up here. He really turned it up after getting some decent play time, would hate to lose him.

Is this ever really a factor?

Kids growing up have teams they dislike as fans. I don't think that's enough for them to stagnate or even derail their career before it has even begun. Once you get drafted you go from fan to professional.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
The list of defensemen is very impressive. The goalies look good. Besides BB Gun, the forwards are a bit underwhelming, but there may be surprises. In a wholistic sense, I'm really quite impressed by the Canucks depth in the back. Need some elite forwards for the future, but at least they can focus on that with FA, trades and drafts to come.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I've grown very pessimistic when following these. Did a full cycle starting with the Cody Hodgson draft following all camp invites that were not drafted by us.... unfortunately none of them ever panned out.

Here's hoping.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
The list of defensemen is very impressive. The goalies look good. Besides BB Gun, the forwards are a bit underwhelming, but there may be surprises. In a wholistic sense, I'm really quite impressed by the Canucks depth in the back. Need some elite forwards for the future, but at least they can focus on that with FA, trades and drafts to come.

Defence takes more time than forwards to develop into the NHL. It was a big reason why I was okay with getting a dman at the 5th pick.

Canucks will probably have some bad years after the Sedins retire, so that's when the team can get that elite forward they need...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Also Brock Boeser throws bad. So we don't have to worry about him ditching us for a Baseball career as an American at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad